Orchestrating a One Shot Generous Haul

CitrinePeridot

You will wish to begin this in the early morning. Unless it is my imagination, the developers included the adage: "Red sky at night, sailors delight, red sky in morning, sailor's warning." So, be sure to observe the sunrise. If it is ocher or red in color, set this aside for another day. The best location (that I am familiar with) is the Coastal Highway's icy lake. 

The goal here is to use their instincts against them on both deer and wolves. I prefer to utilize the blue house that is between the burned out one & the red trim house. It has a fireplace & is conveniently located for this venture. As it deals with surviving, I chose to post this here. Hope that's appropriate.

Walk out on that little pier/wood landing. If you see deer to your left and at least one wolf somewhere near the fishing hut, this is your best bet. Now, circle around to where you are between the deer and the "shore" of the ice banks. You want to move in a sideways angle or at an angle altogether to get the desired effect of the deer running towards the middle of the lake towards the fishing hut and/or where Misanthrope's place is. If you do this with some practice, you will find that if you can get the deer enough in the line of sight of the wolf, it will take chase & bring down the deer. Then, with one shot, slay the wolf. Enjoy your haul of venison, wolf meat, hide, pelt, and plenty of guts which all will aide in your survival.

Things to keep in mind: The version I played when I first caught on to this is quite different than the current. So, you may need to adjust the appearance of location and such in your mind to know where I am talking about, but I hope I have provided enough info so that one gets the general idea. As I have no experience in other areas, I do not claim to know whether or not this works in them, but it would be worth a shot not only for the ammo it will save you but also for the "take away" benefits of such a haul.

On 9/5/2017 at 6:51 AM, CitrinePeridot said:

Unless it is my imagination, the developers included the adage: "Red sky at night, sailors delight, red sky in morning, sailor's warning."

Hmm.. interesting observation.. I'll have to look out for that.

On 9/5/2017 at 6:51 AM, CitrinePeridot said:

As I have no experience in other areas, I do not claim to know whether or not this works in them, but it would be worth a shot

It works anywhere.. just put the deer between you and a wolf, then spook the deer towards the wolf. (Deer will always run directly away from you. With practice, you can use this to 'steer' them in any direction you like, even right across a map. Comes in handy for flushing out wolves along your intended route.)

On 4.9.2017 at 10:51 PM, CitrinePeridot said:

If you do this with some practice, you will find that if you can get the deer enough in the line of sight of the wolf, it will take chase & bring down the deer. Then, with one shot, slay the wolf. Enjoy your haul of venison, wolf meat, hide, pelt, and plenty of guts which all will aide in your survival.

back in the days before Parasites were introduced, hunting a deer without having it first killed by a wolf was considered a waste of bullets. Now I don't do this anymore until I've maxed out my cooking skill. Wolves respawn too quickly to be worth to clean an area from them and the meat is of little to no use.

Here's a refinement of this method, hunting a deer with a wolf and without any weapon ;)

12 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Hmm.. interesting observation.. I'll have to look out for that.

It works anywhere.. just put the deer between you and a wolf, then spook the deer towards the wolf. (Deer will always run directly away from you. With practice, you can use this to 'steer' them in any direction you like, even right across a map. Comes in handy for flushing out wolves along your intended route.)

Yes, please do as I would be interested to know if I've observed this enough for it to be an accurate conclusion. Also, I would want to know if it applies to this newest version. I am including a picture of a perfect morning in which to start a venture like this as one would have a lot of cutting, hauling, & cooking to do. (This was taken at the Camp Office in the non-story mode.) On days that it storms, the ochre or red would be higher up and encompass more of the sunrise w/ clouds.

BeautifulMorn1.png

6 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

back in the days before Parasites were introduced, hunting a deer without having it first killed by a wolf was considered a waste of bullets. Now I don't do this anymore until I've maxed out my cooking skill. Wolves respawn too quickly to be worth to clean an area from them and the meat is of little to no use.

Here's a refinement of this method, hunting a deer with a wolf and without any weapon ;)

Thank you for sharing that! And here I thought I was being clever having discovered that little trick. LOL I really am beginning to hate that I didn't know about this game and such before now. Think of all I missed. The insights, the updates, etc. *sigh* That was well executed. I'm assuming you used one of those stones to get it to move away?

2 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

This may not work so well since the 1.02 patch for Wintermute came out. What happens now is, approaching a feeding wolf causes them to go into a "standing their ground" stance to defend their kill, rather than chasing you.. I think you may need to get a lot closer now before they'll chase/attack. And being too close is not a good move for this particular technique.

2 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

That was well executed. I'm assuming you used one of those stones to get it to move away?

This video was made long before stones were introduced to the game. What he basically did was playing 'chicken' with the wolf.

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

This may not work so well since the 1.02 patch for Wintermute came out.

This video was made long before stones were introduced to the game. What he basically did was playing 'chicken' with the wolf.

exactamundo ;)

Haven't tried it out yet in Wintermute but stones might do the trick indeed. Though if memory serves right I was charged by a feeding wolf in my current stalker run from quite far away, might need some testing.

I used to do this for ages, I dont do it anymore.

My current experience is, after a wolf kills a deer and you spook it out of its meal, it will charge you regardless of what you have in your hands or not. It may be just me, having the worst terrible luck trying to scare the wolves away, or bait it into a lure while waiting to put an arrow into it. 

With the abundance of arrows, I just prefer to kill the wolf first, and then kill the deer with my own shot. In the end it is more valuable for me as I get to obtain a skill for shooting them both. 

2 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

Though if memory serves right I was charged by a feeding wolf in my current stalker run from quite far away, might need some testing.

My experiece for a while now was that feeding wolves will charge without much of a warning from very far away. 

16 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

exactamundo ;)

Haven't tried it out yet in Wintermute but stones might do the trick indeed. Though if memory serves right I was charged by a feeding wolf in my current stalker run from quite far away, might need some testing.

Current version / stalker, feeding wolf ignores stones. Looks like stones just go through the wolf instead of hitting it at all.

15 hours ago, kurja said:

Current version / stalker, feeding wolf ignores stones. Looks like stones just go through the wolf instead of hitting it at all.

Not sure about stalker, but in voyager a well aimed stone to the face will scare off a wolf guarding a felled deer. Have to hit it dead center, though. 

1 hour ago, Wish said:

Not sure about stalker, but in voyager a well aimed stone to the face will scare off a wolf guarding a felled deer. Have to hit it dead center, though. 

Maybe the mechanic changes after the wolf stops feeding if you get that close, and goes into growling / stalking mode. I don't think I've ever managed to scare a wolf with stones... But the feeding one definitely never noticed the stones.

7 hours ago, kurja said:

Maybe the mechanic changes after the wolf stops feeding if you get that close, and goes into growling / stalking mode. I don't think I've ever managed to scare a wolf with stones... But the feeding one definitely never noticed the stones.

Yeah, I've only been successful with it once the wolf is in growling mode.

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

I've never had success chasing a wolf away with a stone.  Tossing stones to drive deer or rabbits into a wolf, though, that works pretty well.  Much less running around than driving the deer with your body. 

That's a good point and one I will have to try as this version is the first in which I am encountering these with the addition of stones being able to be used. So, I look forward to the reduction in calories as well as the running around trying to get the angle just right to get them to run where I hope/wish for. LOL

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, Mroz4k said:

With the abundance of arrows, I just prefer to kill the wolf first, and then kill the deer with my own shot. In the end it is more valuable for me as I get to obtain a skill for shooting them both. 

My experiece for a while now was that feeding wolves will charge without much of a warning from very far away. 

Thank you for sharing that. When I have the ability to use arrows I will have to keep that in mind. Those are also new to me. Also, pointing out about gaining experience is something I had not thought of either. Appreciate it.

13 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Thank you for sharing that. When I have the ability to use arrows I will have to keep that in mind. Those are also new to me. Also, pointing out about gaining experience is something I had not thought of either. Appreciate it.

Oh yeah. Also some people reccomend hunting rabbits with arrows just for the sake of getting that skill. That is something I dont usually do, but I will probably start doing it as well.
Archery is an amazing skill to master - because once you get to the level 5, you will be able to shoot arrows while crouched. This is exceptionally useful when bowhunting bears... the bow in itself is rather silent weapon, but being able to crouch and shoot out of it allows you to be even more stealthy. And if you manage to hit a bear without him, seeing or hearing you shoot out of the bow, instead of charging you it will act the same way wolves do when hit - it will start running around in panic, bleeding. Fortunatedly, it is easy to find bear carcasses... 

Arrow and bow crafting will increase it as well, but in my experience getting hits on animals is much faster method. 

Problem with bow hunting comes with Pilgrim, though... it is much more difficult when hunting predators (as funny as it sounds) because they start running away from you from a very far distance. I prefer them to come to me, I usually put a bait down, back away some distance, and wait for a wolf to come into my shot on its own. That is why I usually play Voyageur.
It pays to remember that this does not work on wolves who are already feeding on a deer... those will charge you immidiatedly. In here, either shoot them while crouching from some distance away, or scare them away with flares or torches.

5 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to explain as well as point these things out.  :-)

Hey, no problem :D I like writing (as most people probably can tell from those walls of texts I often make) and I am happy to pass on what I know on others. 
Message me up whenever you feel like discussing anything, or have a question - if I know the answer, I will happily share it. Or just chat for a bit, always happy to do that as well, if I am online.

13 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

It pays to remember that this does not work on wolves who are already feeding on a deer... those will charge you immidiatedly.

Not necessarily.. since Wintermute, as you you approach them, they'll first go into their "guarding the kill" stance, and growl at you. Only once you get somewhat closer will they charge.

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

Not necessarily.. since Wintermute, as you you approach them, they'll first go into their "guarding the kill" stance, and growl at you. Only once you get somewhat closer will they charge.

Yeah, wolves growl at you now when you get close to them when they are eating. I prefer to throw a lit torch at them when they do this, if I am not planning/able(no gun) to shoot them.

1 hour ago, CitrinePeridot said:

I just experienced that in my Story mode game. It went into that guarding stance, and that's when I tested to see how close one could get. I then backed away without a brawl breaking out. 

How close did you get? Lol....

I believe you can get pretty darn close. I was in the car in front of the church with all the flares in it, and the wolf eating the deer was growling the whole time. That car is only about 10-15 feet from the wolf....

1 minute ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Well, it was by that cave one finds there on Day 5 or whatever. It'd killed a deer right in front of the cave's entrance. I got as far as that tree to the right of the entrance. Saw its fangs and decided, "Ahh...Ok. That's probably going to do it for me." ROFL

You mean the shallow cave on the left side of the road before the pond on the left with all the cattails?

I'm confused as to which cave....there's about 4 caves you can find before Milton....including the one you have to go through....

Archived