How to Keep Busy and Have Fun?

Stormwolf1O1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Thank you. That's one of the things I enjoy about it, the freedom to go as one chooses and not be tied to clans, groups, guilds, and the like. 

I'm playing a multiplayer game atm for 50 vs 50 pvp.  It's fun but extremely structured, not much freedom there!  :P 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm keeping busy the way Mainers keep busy best in the long cold winters. I'm getting ready for next tourist season.   Edit: OK, Here are better pics.   This was done with a mod btw. It allows you much greater choice and ability to place items. Some glitches with it, but not many. It also allowed me to save myself from the river ravine after climbing down there and the rope didnt work. I'm not one for using cheats, but when it comes to overcoming a game ending bug, yup.  It also introduces a "jump" function, for when Will is just to tired to lift his feet high enough to step over train tracks, and pallets, and 2cm high snow drifts. Be careful with the jump though.  You never know when that pallet is higher than you thought, and you'll get a sprain. 20170917152036_1.thumb.jpg.7558a47b8b56b9c1a66a6a3a9b574584.jpg20170917152129_1.thumb.jpg.477da684fe104cebfa7690c05305338f.jpg20170917152139_1.thumb.jpg.a9f3bb72d188a2fa7f609b18be2d8bdf.jpg20170917152147_1.thumb.jpg.5a9ce47eb4db46e972200277db591f50.jpg20170917152212_1.thumb.jpg.6b49ebc1b38dc078604944f98c8f5cd9.jpg20170917152218_1.thumb.jpg.9f59d2f0b48aa0e2cb3022e98139d457.jpg20170917152233_1.thumb.jpg.04a267d2cf834938a7cf1670bfa61622.jpg20170917152203_1.thumb.jpg.88f262c20f15838783922ad9b083bd63.jpg

On 9/5/2017 at 5:20 AM, CitrinePeridot said:

I'm not certain what version you are talking about. The one I had came from "Ocean of Games", and it featured 2 places to explore. So, no. I am not familiar with those actually. As for what I guess I'll call the "basics", yes, I do know quite well how to manage & maintain my inventory on clothing & food and keeping those levels where I do not find myself in need or want. I don't have any of the updates. Ok? Yet, again, I wished to play it until I literally had nothing left. Clothing finally down to no further repair options, ammo out/gone, etc. and so on. That's just my personal approach to games. I like to play them to the end. Perhaps our approach and pace are just different. I am in no hurry. I appreciate the "swat on the tail" at any rate. Grizzly Adams I am not. So, we'll see. *grin* I am, however, on my 4th day of the Story mode. Takes some getting used to. (Please remember the vast difference in controls & my preference I mentioned above. This is my first time dealing with much of this, almost like starting over actually.) 

Take your time, play the way you want. It sounds like  a good way to let this story unfurl; start and end with nothing. Very dramatic...keep us posted.

14 hours ago, TROY said:

wow those are dark. They didnt seem so dark when I took them. I'll post better ones soon. 

That's awesome and must have taken patience:toque:

I have that problem with the screenshots also looking darker than when taken and I am on console unlike yourself so I guess it isn't our monitor/tv settings maybe forum related?

one thing I enjoy doing to spend my time is making carpets out of hide. deer or bear. my base in TWM has a beautiful bear carpet and my current base of operations in ML office is deer hide carpet :) 

then if I need to repair my clothes I just make the carpet uglier, which forces me to hunt more!

I have to be honest, I'm not much for this modded content creeping into the forum. I totally understand the allure and if it helps you out of a bug jam, then cool, but I do hope those (quite awesome) pics don't encourage others to - dare I say - be tempted to kill the fun in their game.

I've said it before, but taking away any of the dangers at a press of a key is the fastest way to make TLD very, very boring. The magic is in the struggle.

@TROY: Man, that is some serious hoarding! Amazing job with organization! I haven't the patience but can certainly appreciate the fruits of the effort. Well done. B|

3 hours ago, Carbon said:

I have to be honest, I'm not much for this modded content creeping into the forum. I totally understand the allure and if it helps you out of a bug jam, then cool, but I do hope those (quite awesome) pics don't encourage others to - dare I say - be tempted to kill the fun in their game.

I've said it before, but taking away any of the dangers at a press of a key is the fastest way to make TLD very, very boring. The magic is in the struggle.

@TROY: Man, that is some serious hoarding! Amazing job with organization! I haven't the patience but can certainly appreciate the fruits of the effort. Well done. B|

I couldn't agree more about taking the fun out of a game with cheats. However, I don't have an issue using tools that make the game better or more enjoyable.  As for the cheats, resisting their use is an individual thing. Some can, some can't. Many early access games come with all that stuff built in, to give testers tools to overcome glitches and bugs, that would otherwise be game breaking. I don't think the temptation is in "having" the mod, it's in not using the functions that alter the actual outcome of gameplay. 

Honestly there are only two things I want from a mod -- or an improvement to the game.  First, more flexibility to position stuff.  I want to be able to hang my lantern from the ceiling and lean my rifle against a tree (instead of dropping it in the snow #cringe).  Second, I want no breath shown in F10 screenshots.  That's it.  But I don't (and won't) use the current mods, for the reasons @Carbon and @TROY state.

That mod could definitedly use some customization setting, where individual mechanics could be turned off permanently for the duration of opened game... meaning that you would not be able to just fly off at a whim, because you would have it disabled - but if you got stuck and didnt want to reload, you could save the game, close it down, enable flying, and then log into the game again to fly off, then again save, etc.

What I think by all this is that it would be cool if the "game tool aspect" of the mod could be enabled without having access to the actual cheats.

I see no issue with having access to the cheats myself - I know I am not going to use them intentionally, and will make sure not to use them unintentionally, and thus I have no issue with having them. Especially if they give me some extra cool functions like jump of better item customizations...

I have played games with such modes before and I never abused those cheats (Fallout New Vegas and a mod Project NEVADA comes to mind). And TROY is right, some games will come equiped with a console that allows cheats for players to help themselves in a buggy situations.

In the end, TLD is a single player game and anyone should be free to play it their way. If they want to fly around with godmode and explore the game, they should be allowed to do so. Games are about having fun. And if someone wants to cheat their way through achievements using cheats, in the end they are just robbing themselves because such an achievement is really no achievement at all.

4 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Honestly there are only two things I want from a mod -- or an improvement to the game.  First, more flexibility to position stuff.  I want to be able to hang my lantern from the ceiling and lean my rifle against a tree (instead of dropping it in the snow #cringe).  Second, I want no breath shown in F10 screenshots.  That's it.  But I don't (and won't) use the current mods, for the reasons @Carbon and @TROY state.

To be honest, I wish it could be split into two mods. One that only adds the functions of jump and item placement, and one for the rest. With that said, if one can resist downloading it, than one can resist using the "cheat" functions once it's downloaded. It's all about how each individual plays. Many of would rather die and start over than know we survived on something other than our skill, cunning, luck or experience. Others find more enjoyment in continuing on in that run, even if it wasn't earned the hard way. There's no right or wrong, but @Carbon is correct about it taking the fun out of the game. At least, in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, TROY said:

To be honest, I wish it could be split into two mods. One that only adds the functions of jump and item placement, and one for the rest. With that said, if one can resist downloading it, than one can resist using the "cheat" functions once it's downloaded. It's all about how each individual plays. Many of would rather die and start over than know we survived on something other than our skill, cunning, luck or experience. Others find more enjoyment in continuing on in that run, even if it wasn't earned the hard way. There's no right or wrong, but @Carbon is correct about it taking the fun out of the game. At least, in my opinion. 

I agree cheats are a good way to ruin a great game.   And I know my best success to resist using them is to never download them.  Sometimes I play at the end of a long day when I'm tired and I prefer to reach the "better stop now before I mess up" point rather than be tempted to skip past a challenge with a cheat so I can keep playing a little longer.

10 hours ago, TROY said:

I couldn't agree more about taking the fun out of a game with cheats. However, I don't have an issue using tools that make the game better or more enjoyable.  As for the cheats, resisting their use is an individual thing. Some can, some can't. Many early access games come with all that stuff built in, to give testers tools to overcome glitches and bugs, that would otherwise be game breaking. I don't think the temptation is in "having" the mod, it's in not using the functions that alter the actual outcome of gameplay. 

Sure, I'm on board with that. Some customization tools would go a long way in this regard; many have long asked for a 'slider' implementation to alter particular parameters, as an example.

I don't want to sound sanctimonious at all, nor do I want to stifle any discussion. I'm one of the weak ones who, when faced with a life-threatening situation 100+ days in, would strongly consider abusing some features of the mod (it's just too easy). Realizing this, I promptly uninstalled it (and it makes some things really buggy). Of course, not everyone is like me and many have more self control perhaps, but with significantly large time investments ending in seconds from a bad decision, it's just too tempting.

Perhaps I'll start an 'dirty' sandbox and test my resolve. :)

Archived