Stormwolf1O1

How to Keep Busy and Have Fun?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

I'm not certain what version you are talking about. The one I had came from "Ocean of Games", and it featured 2 places to explore. So, no. I am not familiar with those actually. As for what I guess I'll call the "basics", yes, I do know quite well how to manage & maintain my inventory on clothing & food and keeping those levels where I do not find myself in need or want. I don't have any of the updates. Ok? Yet, again, I wished to play it until I literally had nothing left. Clothing finally down to no further repair options, ammo out/gone, etc. and so on. That's just my personal approach to games. I like to play them to the end. Perhaps our approach and pace are just different. I am in no hurry. I appreciate the "swat on the tail" at any rate. Grizzly Adams I am not. So, we'll see. *grin* I am, however, on my 4th day of the Story mode. Takes some getting used to. (Please remember the vast difference in controls & my preference I mentioned above. This is my first time dealing with much of this, almost like starting over actually.) 

Personally, I'm fine with the idea of you playing the heck out of your current version before jumping into a newer version/difficulty level. I don't see any issues with it, but at the same time I fully believe you'll do just fine when you decide to switch over. :) And remember, there's never any harm in going back to the old one occasionally!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JAFO said:

Screenshot required.

Suggestion for avoiding boredom: Use sticks and stones to mark out routes from various locations back to shelter, for use during blizzards.

It was very difficult to make out the letters, unfortunately. But I posted it under a thread called "A Sticky Tribute to Raph" lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a pre-alpha, but alpha. 2015 was when Coastal was added. I remember way, way before that when we were able to repair guns and tools with fir firewood and scrap metal, there were no plants to harvest, there were no logs to cut apart with a hatchet - firewood had to be foraged, and how long you were able to survive depended strongly on how much bullets you found in that particular game and how much cloth you had spawned in the game/wasted on failed repairs. Oh, and 50 days survived was a big achievement, and getting to a 100 was only done by the hardest of the hard.

Anyways, if you played Pilgrim for 6 months, you should be ready to play Interloper, not just a Voyageur. I mean, Interloper if you are ready to die a lot to animals, but you should have the game pretty well figured out.
If you are still worried, play the challenge "Nomad" as you would any normal game. It is almost like a Pilgrim in terms of loot and weather, but the animals are already hostile - however, the bears dont hurt you so much, only about half health, and wolves will bite only a bit and will let go very easily.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you just described perfectly described my options in regard to wood, cloth, etc. and so on. The controls are quite different as well. 50 days I have made past a time or two. 70 days on V.183 is what I was at when I purchased this one, and I suspect I would be able to make it to 100. I have made it into the 90s once, but an ill decision resulted in this latest run of that version. Had to go back and look. So, V.183 is the one I had. It's the Alpha with the Coastal Highway alone added. (12/25/2014 is the date showing on edited on the file)

Edited by CitrinePeridot
Adding file edit date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Not a pre-alpha, but alpha. 2015 was when Coastal was added. I remember way, way before that when ... there were no logs to cut apart with a hatchet - firewood had to be foraged

Oh man, dude. I remember having to forage for wood. I hated that! LOL :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Oh man, dude. I remember having to forage for wood. I hated that! LOL :P

Living in Trappers, would always go up to that ruined shack, and forage in that, naked, to preserve my clothes. :D Aaaah the memories. Gotta find that old old version sometime, and play it for nostalgia. :D

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still got the zip file for that if you don't find it. It was a free download. I've already said in another post that I'd be holding unto it I guess for that very reason only I just said it was, well, "because". LOL As compared to this one, old, old is certainly what it is I can assure you. Yet, I love it still. Playing the one I just purchased. Have dabbled some with Story mode and like it as well. Ah, the choices. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I certainly have been everywhere there is to go! In fact, I've already mapped just about every region in its entirety. (Still can't get Faithful Cartographer, though..I think it's bugged or something and have given up on it for now)

Well, in answer to your thread, maybe that could be that "one goal" that would keep you occupied? If you've done the cartography thing on all those regions, there is a thread or two wherein someone is asking about certain areas. So, they would probably appreciate seeing those from someone experienced enough to have been able to successfully complete them. As I gather, you have to be in the right spot at the right time for it to do just right? Is that right? Anyway, so let that be a goal, one that will keep you going.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2017 at 7:36 PM, Stormwolf1O1 said:

If anyone has any suggestions for fun things to do to pass the time, please let me know! :)

I'm on day 344 so I'm there with you. I've started created "breadcrumb" trails of stones, sticks, and birch bark from important locations to other important locations for when I inevitably get caught in a blizzard. These can be as simple and short as the Trapper's Homestead barn to the cabin, to longer trails, such as from Rabbit Grove in Coastal to the Fishing Village, or Jackrabbit Island past Misanthrope's Homestead to the Waterfront Cottages, or across the ice of Forlorn Muskeg. I've been helped a few times by these self-created pathways when I was in a pinch. 

Edited by Wish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Must have been a very early version, likely pre-alpha. It's been quite a while since there were only two regions.

Yeah? What are you talking about the GoG version?  You should be able to update it to v1.12 for free if you bought it...

There is ML, CH, PV, TWM, DP, FM, and now BR. Along with various connection maps....

You are missing out on A TON of upgrades to the game by not updating it....like clothes crafting and mapping. The UI is VERY different....

There are pictures and art for all the items now....

You basically are never going to learn the mechanics of the game by sticking with such an old version. Everything is very different now....

Edited by Thrasador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Living in Trappers, would always go up to that ruined shack, and forage in that, naked, to preserve my clothes. :D Aaaah the memories. Gotta find that old old version sometime, and play it for nostalgia. :D

 

The oldest version I could find on TPB was Alpha v.393, which isn't exactly ancient by any means. Maybe we'll have to look elsewhere, like Oceanofgames. It's a shame those of us who purchased the game legitimately don't have the option to revert back to a previous version if we so choose. But there must be reasons for not being able to, I'm sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Well, in answer to your thread, maybe that could be that "one goal" that would keep you occupied? If you've done the cartography thing on all those regions, there is a thread or two wherein someone is asking about certain areas. So, they would probably appreciate seeing those from someone experienced enough to have been able to successfully complete them. As I gather, you have to be in the right spot at the right time for it to do just right? Is that right? Anyway, so let that be a goal, one that will keep you going.

I guess that's a decent way of looking at it. A reason to keep playing rather than a reason to be annoyed lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Yeah? What are you talking about the GoG version?  You should be able to update it to v1.12 for free if you bought it...

There is ML, CH, PV, TWM, DP, FM, and now BR. Along with various connection maps....

You are missing out on A TON of upgrades to the game by not updating it....like clothes crafting and mapping. The UI is VERY different....

There are pictures and art for all the items now....

You basically are never going to learn the mechanics of the game by sticking with such an old version. Everything is very different now....

I remember the old inventory management system, typewriter font text listing the names of every object, no pictures just yet, everything was so new. But it'd be a real treat to get to experience again for nostalgia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. I need to clarify here. Had a "survival" game that I was rarely playing as it provided way to many "outs" via bonuses, credits, whatever. Also, it was clear it was fast becoming a "pay to play" style. Got sick of it. Went searching for one that was "fresh & new" to me. At Ocean of Games, I downloaded the free zip file for the above mentioned version from their site in March, less than 6 months ago. If you go there, you will see numerous complaints under that download wherein people are complaining that there had, in fact, been updates that were not being posted. Apparently they never were. I don't know why this one does not update nor do I know why they were unable or unwilling to provide any of the updates. So, I strictly had this older version. I did just purchase this release from Hinterland, and I have a game going in the Survival mode as well as one in the Story mode. Sorry I left the details out. I realize now how confusing that might have been. Being that I played the older version for a little less than 6 months, there are many things I'm having to get adjusted to. There are many things different as well as new.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started playing that old version!

Found some fishing tackle and went out to go get me some dinner.

Time to go back to the Camp Office as my fire is running low, but I hear unending trotting very close by...Hmm.

Screenshot_7.thumb.png.39b26274546998ca36f73bf0c2f233b9.png

Screenshot_8.thumb.png.b25a94ba56adfa571ce73f12a60be509.png

AAHHABAAhh!! Good God, wolves used to look scary. Like some sort of devil dog. Like.....wait, it's Cerberus! Well, I've died because I was too busy taking pictures :wolf: Back to the good ol' new version it is for me.

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Ok. I need to clarify here. Had a "survival" game that I was rarely playing as it provided way to many "outs" via bonuses, credits, whatever. Also, it was clear it was fast becoming a "pay to play" style. Got sick of it. Went searching for one that was "fresh & new" to me. At Ocean of Games, I downloaded the free zip file for the above mentioned version from their site in March, less than 6 months ago. If you go there, you will see numerous complaints under that download wherein people are complaining that there had, in fact, been updates that were not being posted. Apparently they never were. I don't know why this one does not update nor do I know why they were unable or unwilling to provide any of the updates. So, I strictly had this older version. I did just purchase this release from Hinterland, and I have a game going in the Survival mode as well as one in the Story mode. Sorry I left the details out. I realize now how confusing that might have been. Being that I played the older version for a little less than 6 months, there are many things I'm having to get adjusted to. There are many things different as well as new.

Ok now I understand....you were playing the wicked OLD version for six months, but just started playing the current v1.12 version.

Ok, well it shouldn't take too long to adjust....you'll get there. Just try not to wait ANOTHER six months to try out Voyager. 

On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.....;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

My approach to a game is this: I start at the absolute beginning level, and, until I can make a complete run-through from start to finish, I do not go to the next level. Especially in a game such as this, my take on it is that, if a disaster should happen, I would know how to run, walk, move in all directions, throw/pick up items, etc. and on & on. I want my familiarity with the controls to be as natural. So, I never rush. In fact, I had not yet moved from the easiest level on the Sandbox version I'd obtained free (less than 6 months ago) yet.

Let me preface this by saying that I understand your approach, and your reluctance to start on the current version of TLD even in Pilgrim mode.

That said, the fact that you're beginning to play Story mode in Wintermute is going to shortly throw you into water way over your head. You said you're on Day 4 of the tutorial phase of the story. Once you escape from Will's little ledge that he starts in, you're going to encounter a lot of stuff you've never had to deal with before, despite your six months on v0.183 Pilgrim. Which is mostly to say, you're going to have to learn to deal with the wolves.

So... I'd suggest that in a Pilgrim game, whether v0.183 or v1.12, you start getting used to being near wolves. Start sneaking up on them and learning their behaviours.. how to move around in close proximity to them without being noticed. If they run from you, you goofed. Due to the many changes in behaviour and detection ranges, etc, I believe it would serve you far better to do this with v1.12 than v0.183, so that you don't have to subsequently un-learn things that no longer apply. But that's your call.

Edited by JAFO
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that's sound advice. There are far too many differences including down to which button you push to sprint and how to collect wood and such. It's all very different. I have started at the beginning level in the non-story mode as well on the one I purchased from Hinterland. I started there first. Then, after all the ones strongly suggested I try the story mode, I found my curiosity just couldn't wait. LOL I guess I'm getting the name of that wrong. I call it the survivor mode, but what I mean to say is that I started at the easiest level so that I may learn the controls and such as well as get acquainted with all the changes, additions, and differences between the version I had and the one I bought. I am certainly liking what I have experienced thus far.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

I have started at the beginning level in the non-story mode as well on the one I purchased from Hinterland. I started there first. Then, after all the ones strongly suggested I try the story mode, I found my curiosity just couldn't wait. LOL I guess I'm getting the name of that wrong. I call it the survivor mode, but what I mean to say is that I started at the easiest level so that I may learn the controls and such as well as get acquainted with all the changes, additions, and differences between the version I had and the one I bought.

Then you're in the right place.. Story Mode only has the one difficulty level. Survivor Mode (which used to be called Sandbox) has four difficulty levels. Pilgrim is the one where the wildlife leaves you alone. So it's time you used it to start sneaking up on and around wolves.. and bears, for that matter. Learn how to sneak past them at close range without scaring them off.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my game in january 2016 and I didn't try a proper voyageur run until the official launch last month, because earlier I had bad luck with wolves sniffing me out and killing me instantly so I thought it was a bit much. It was terrifying at first, especially since I started in Coastal Highway, but I got used to it, better at it, and now I'm not even afraid of wolves anymore because if you're well rested and you have a weapon it's pretty easy to fight them off. Just make sure you always have bandages and antiseptic or old man's beard. 

Bears still terrify me though, my first voyageur run ended 17 days later after a wolf got me, and while searching for OMB I got grabbed by a bear. Somehow I still survived that, but I barely made it back to my feet before mr Bear decided I wasn't gonna leave and he charged a second time. And that was it. But that run was very rewarding and it taught me a lot. Now I still prefer Pilgrim but I can also do voyageur pretty well. I feel far from ready to make the step to Stalker though, I'm afraid that would just be one big heap of stress. 

I really like the cartographer idea, I'm only 50 days into my current Pilgrim game but I already travelled half the world, got a bow and some good clothing, and can't imagine anything other than my own enormous stupidity could kill me, so I'm gonna make it my mission to map the world on that game. I currently reside in Pleasant Valley so that big map should keep me busy for a bit.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also going for 500 days right now, so far up to 370 on Stalker. Might post a "survival stories" thread soon. I've been taking it slow, I have only TWM and some of PV left to loot, but I don't expect to find much anymore. I spend my time experimenting and testing to see if I can learn anything. Seeing how long different clothing items last, changing my diet, and writing in my journal. I still have a few skills to master and badges/achievements to work on too. It's definitely about finding things to keep you busy on the road to 500. I take a lot of inspiration from Drifter Man's epic run. The biggest risk is probably getting bored and complacent and getting killed from some stupid mistake.

I have mapped all of ML but still need to finish the others. I have lots of useful information to share but I'll save it for now. At the moment it's a case of trying to work out what will run out first.

Edited by Cray
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CitrinePeridot If you are really that worried about the animals, try playing the Nomad challenge. Challenges have different mode settings then the normal sandbox modes, at least as far as I can tell - and the Nomad challenge in its difficulty is set somewhere in between the Voyageur and Pilgrim. It is as bountiful as Pilgrim, but the animals are no longer affraid of you - however, their attacks dont damage you that much. I believe it is the perfect begginer experience when you dont want to play just for the exploration. To put it into a consideration - I got mauled by a same bear twice and I still survived the encounter, playing on a Nomad challenge.

I have been playing this game for ages, but I often took long pauses in between. The longest one I have ever took was almost a year, in between 2014 and 2015. When I left the game, it was fundamentally different to what it was when I came back - for example, when I left, there were no "difficulty modes" - and all of sudden there were 3. I was pretty good before, so I confidently chose to play Stalker right away... boooy did I get demolished, in like 2 minutes of playing. 


I played for good solid 50 days of Pilgrim before I dared to even go to Voyageur. But at some point, you have to make that leap of faith and move to a harder difficulty. For example, I rarely ever play Stalker - I guess I never really got past Voyageur, I like it better. I do occasionally play Interloper, I made that leap of faith already as well. I think that in some manners, I would say Stalker is harder than Interloper, at least for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The achievements for myself have always been incidental,  I don't change my play to go for them.   I try to ignore the longevity achievements, like 200 - 500 days as I find that changes my playstyle to be no-funski.  I like to be a little cavalier with risks and explore the map in the hardest difficulty modes. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2017 at 4:21 AM, SnowWalker said:

Starting at the top of TWM and ending in BR, or vice versa, live in every cave on the island for ten days each :D Leave your rifle and what ammo you have left at home base and only take the bow and some limited resources, no lantern either. Write up a little journal for the forum called something like 'Life in Caves', with a little entry/story about each cave, with a screenshot. Idk, lol.

I did a Voy run where I spent at least a night or two in every cave in the game.  It was a fresh perspective on the game, and I learned sooooo much about getting around the different regions, the weather, where predators path and prey spawns, all the hidden nooks and crannies.  So immersive too -- I loved being able to watch the weather or look at the stars without going outside.  It was one of my favorite TLD experiences.

 

On 9/4/2017 at 2:20 PM, CitrinePeridot said:

That's just my personal approach to games. I like to play them to the end. Perhaps our approach and pace are just different. I am in no hurry.

Wise words!  I see there are posts in the thread that urge to play differently, but I believe you have exactly the right idea.  It's a single player game, how you choose to play it doesn't affect anyone but you.  It's just a game, enjoy it your way. :D 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ernestww said:

The achievements for myself have always been incidental,  I don't change my play to go for them.   I try to ignore the longevity achievements, like 200 - 500 days as I find that changes my playstyle to be no-funski.  I like to be a little cavalier with risks and explore the map in the hardest difficulty modes. 

Then our approach is a lot alike in that respect. If I happen to earn one of those, it would be a nice surprise, but I don't strive to do so. I like the freedom of enjoying the game without jumping through specific hoops to accomplish certain things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now