How to Keep Busy and Have Fun?

Stormwolf1O1

I'm sure others have talked about this in the past, and if I'm not mistaken feel free to link me to any previous threads where this is discussed..

So I'm going for the Will to Live, 500 Days Survived achievement. I'm almost at day 350, but I'm bored out of my mind at this point. I have all achievements (except the one), Feats, Badges, completed all Challenges, looted every square inch of every region, have the best clothing and a good supply of food and tools, and I have maxed all skills to Level 5.

What do I do now to stay busy and entertained?? I can only think that community challenges I can do without starting a new save, are the way to go. If anyone has any suggestions for fun things to do to pass the time, please let me know! :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

What do I do now to stay busy and entertained?? I can only think that community challenges I can do without starting a new save, are the way to go. If anyone has any suggestions for fun things to do to pass the time, please let me know! :)

Kill as many wolves as you can!  :ph34r:  Display their pelts like trophies.

Think of increasing your odds to survive - grab a few resources that dont spoil, some tools and other things, and move them to a different base in a different region - basically, start creating a system of outposts which you can use later on when exploring or hunting more and are caught unprepared by a bad weather.
At the same time, you can organize your home if you havent already, or stockpile it even further, you can turn all the surplus hides into more clothing, etc.

I never get bored (well I do get bored but more rarely nowadays since I started playing this way) and I never get cabin fevers, because I always plan ahead what I want to do on a particular day, unless I am impeeded by bad weather. Dedicate a day to going out, hunting, or going gathering firewood in a particular part of a map, or just go out for a walk, explore what changed and decide on what you want to do then.
Another thing I like to do when I have nothing else to do is just going out for walks in the wilderness, and increasing my map knowledge, mostly about things most people probably dont know - I often go around the "border rocks" and I am looking for nice ledges and similar places where I could shelter down if I was caught off guard by a blizzard. This particular knowledge already saved me more than once - the idea that comes to mind is my latest Voyageur run when I went through FM. I knew there was blizzard coming and I was somewhere in the middle of ice fields, where I could go was very limited by the two safe paths that exists in that area. No time to turn back and go to Farmstead, no time to get to the trains and stay alive, I was very hurt and tired at that time by wolves.
I knew that one of the little hills there, close to the trains, had some big ice floes that I could crawl under for wind shelter. I did this, dropped a bedroll, made a fire with the limited amount of firewood I had, slept for three hours, went for more firewood, scared a wolf away who came to my doorstep, put more wood on fire, and lived, even got decent amount of condition back and was rested.

Great end game thing to do is to go out exploring, learning the layout of the land... also, I am keeping the other "natural shelter locations" that I know to myself, for now at least :D 

4 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Already made a tribute to Raph using...sticks...haha

Screenshot required.

Suggestion for avoiding boredom: Use sticks and stones to mark out routes from various locations back to shelter, for use during blizzards.

Starting at the top of TWM and ending in BR, or vice versa, live in every cave on the island for ten days each :D Leave your rifle and what ammo you have left at home base and only take the bow and some limited resources, no lantern either. Write up a little journal for the forum called something like 'Life in Caves', with a little entry/story about each cave, with a screenshot. Idk, lol.

Take some basic supplies with you, and become a wandering survivalist. Sleep every night in a snow shelter or cave, be always on the go, only catch what you need for that day so everyday you have to take care of yourself. It might make things slightly more interesting than staying in the same place. And if things do start to get dangerous I assume you have enough caches all over the world to not lose your game.

Or try to make as big a lake of fire as possible with campfires :fire:

9 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Think of increasing your odds to survive - grab a few resources that dont spoil, some tools and other things, and move them to a different base in a different region - basically, start creating a system of outposts which you can use later on when exploring or hunting more and are caught unprepared by a bad weather.
At the same time, you can organize your home if you havent already, or stockpile it even further, you can turn all the surplus hides into more clothing, etc.

I never get bored (well I do get bored but more rarely nowadays since I started playing this way) and I never get cabin fevers, because I always plan ahead what I want to do on a particular day, unless I am impeeded by bad weather. Dedicate a day to going out, hunting, or going gathering firewood in a particular part of a map, or just go out for a walk, explore what changed and decide on what you want to do then.
Another thing I like to do when I have nothing else to do is just going out for walks in the wilderness, and increasing my map knowledge, mostly about things most people probably dont know - I often go around the "border rocks" and I am looking for nice ledges and similar places where I could shelter down if I was caught off guard by a blizzard. This particular knowledge already saved me more than once - the idea that comes to mind is my latest Voyageur run when I went through FM. I knew there was blizzard coming and I was somewhere in the middle of ice fields, where I could go was very limited by the two safe paths that exists in that area. No time to turn back and go to Farmstead, no time to get to the trains and stay alive, I was very hurt and tired at that time by wolves.
I knew that one of the little hills there, close to the trains, had some big ice floes that I could crawl under for wind shelter. I did this, dropped a bedroll, made a fire with the limited amount of firewood I had, slept for three hours, went for more firewood, scared a wolf away who came to my doorstep, put more wood on fire, and lived, even got decent amount of condition back and was rested.

Great end game thing to do is to go out exploring, learning the layout of the land... also, I am keeping the other "natural shelter locations" that I know to myself, for now at least :D 

That's a great idea! I really, really am considering trying this. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Hackfleisch said:

I assume you have enough caches all over the world to not lose your game.

Well, ya see, the thing is... :P I gathered all of my supplies from each of my bases in every region and returned to the PV Farmstead to unload it all there. So I guess that another thing I could do, is go back to each region and establish well-stocked bases.

While it will be quite some time before I reach anything near this point, I feel this is an important thread to garner ideas about what one has options to do when they do reach this point. I will have to keep this one saved as it were to the side for when I do come to that point. I'm a slow game player, but it will be interesting to see the suggestions that come up. Thank you.

Just now, CitrinePeridot said:

While it will be quite some time before I reach anything near this point, I feel this is an important thread to garner ideas about what one has options to do when they do reach this point. I will have to keep this one saved as it were to the side for when I do come to that point. I'm a slow game player, but it will be interesting to see the suggestions that come up. Thank you.

Okay, awesome! Definitely continue to take your time playing and don't rush, enjoy the game in every one of its aspects. It's a real work of art, and although it has a great replayability factor, that first start-to-end run is a very memorable experience. :) 

My approach to a game is this: I start at the absolute beginning level, and, until I can make a complete run-through from start to finish, I do not go to the next level. Especially in a game such as this, my take on it is that, if a disaster should happen, I would know how to run, walk, move in all directions, throw/pick up items, etc. and on & on. I want my familiarity with the controls to be as natural. So, I never rush. In fact, I had not yet moved from the easiest level on the Sandbox version I'd obtained free (less than 6 months ago) yet. It is RARE indeed that I will actually purchase a game's next release before I have "satisfied" myself on the present one. That should speak to my feelings about this game. LOL 

Since you know the areas as well as you do, become a cartographer. Some have questioned the purpose of that option, but people started mapping their regions early in human history. So, in a disaster where maps (IN THE GAME) are not available, wouldn't we have a desire to do so? Many have asked for pictures of what some have done. That would be something to do. I wish I could remember what thread that was in that someone was asking about some pics. I realize there are maps online, but I'm talking here about what a character would wish to do or want within the game. They would map.

32 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

My approach to a game is this: I start at the absolute beginning level, and, until I can make a complete run-through from start to finish, I do not go to the next level. Especially in a game such as this, my take on it is that, if a disaster should happen, I would know how to run, walk, move in all directions, throw/pick up items, etc. and on & on. I want my familiarity with the controls to be as natural. So, I never rush. In fact, I had not yet moved from the easiest level on the Sandbox version I'd obtained free (less than 6 months ago) yet. It is RARE indeed that I will actually purchase a game's next release before I have "satisfied" myself on the present one. That should speak to my feelings about this game. LOL 

So for six months you have been playing on Pilgrim?!?!

You should be ready to try voyager.....

The only MAJOR difference you should be prepared to handle is wolves and bears NOT running from you....

It will be scary at first.....and some wolves or a bear may kill you, but it's much more exciting as well....

I appreciate your confidence in me. I really do. However, perhaps my learning curve is a bit different than yours when it comes to this? How much actual R/L experience do you have with such things? My guess would be a lot. As for me, no. Aside from camping trips and living in the Ozarks for about 6 years, my experience is limited in ways perhaps yours is not. Some things do not occur so naturally, easily, & readily to some of us. I mean, when I'm staring at a shard of metal in my hand & don't have the presence of mind to think that might be where I would need to start...yeah. You get the picture. LOL  ;-)

19 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

I mean, when I'm staring at a shard of metal in my hand & don't have the presence of mind to think that might be where I would need to start...yeah. You get the picture. LOL  ;-)

Cauterize, sterilize, and bandage! That's what I'd do anyway lol. IIRC, Will doesn't stick his hand in the fire to stop the bleeding. Although, that would be a really neat addition to the game, to have to heat up a piece of metal or something to stop a critical wound from bleeding when bandages won't help.

31 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Since you know the areas as well as you do, become a cartographer. Some have questioned the purpose of that option, but people started mapping their regions early in human history. So, in a disaster where maps (IN THE GAME) are not available, wouldn't we have a desire to do so? Many have asked for pictures of what some have done. That would be something to do. I wish I could remember what thread that was in that someone was asking about some pics. I realize there are maps online, but I'm talking here about what a character would wish to do or want within the game. They would map.

I certainly have been everywhere there is to go! In fact, I've already mapped just about every region in its entirety. (Still can't get Faithful Cartographer, though..I think it's bugged or something and have given up on it for now)

30 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

The only MAJOR difference you should be prepared to handle is wolves and bears NOT running from you....

It will be scary at first.....and some wolves or a bear may kill you, but it's much more exciting as well....

Playing an older version of the game today, I walked straight into the Dam after spawning next to it on Stalker. Needed to escape the cold, prayed that since it was in the first 48 hours in-game time, Fluffy wouldn't spawn. Heard lil pawpads trotting around as I listened carefully, immediately quit the game without saving. XD Even at this point, Fluffy and wolves in general scare the crap out of me. Bears aren't too bad, they're slow and cute. Except for T.O.B...

Just walking around, innocently picking up some sticks for tonight's fire, when BARKBARK!! GRRRrrr...sends me jumping out of my skin lol.

1 hour ago, CitrinePeridot said:

I appreciate your confidence in me. I really do. However, perhaps my learning curve is a bit different than yours when it comes to this? How much actual R/L experience do you have with such things? My guess would be a lot. As for me, no. Aside from camping trips and living in the Ozarks for about 6 years, my experience is limited in ways perhaps yours is not. Some things do not occur so naturally, easily, & readily to some of us. I mean, when I'm staring at a shard of metal in my hand & don't have the presence of mind to think that might be where I would need to start...yeah. You get the picture. LOL  ;-)

I'm just saying over the course of SIX months on Pilgrim you should be used to managing and repairing clothes, making fires, making water, finding food or hunting, fishing, and you should be at least somewhat familiar with one or more of the maps....if not all of them (except maybe for Broken Railroad). So you should be good to go. Voyager doesn't have parasites from predator meat, and there is like a 50 day grace period on Cabin Fever.

Other than being scared of wolves and bears attacking you, there's really no reason NOT to try it. It's not like I'm suggesting Stalker or Interloper difficulty. You have to get your feet wet someday, and I think you have spent MORE than enough time with the training wheels on....

Wolves and bears are not THAT bad....just give them a wide berth. If you encounter a wolf barking and you have meat or guts on you, then drop a piece and back away....they'll eat it and wander off. If you have a rifle or a bow, drop the meat, back up, and then right before they pick it up shoot them in the face. You'll get used to it....it just takes time and practice....

Or light a fire....or throw a torch on the ground between you and the wolf, and back up until they step on the torch and run away....

YOU CAN DO IT !!!

I'm not certain what version you are talking about. The one I had came from "Ocean of Games", and it featured 2 places to explore. So, no. I am not familiar with those actually. As for what I guess I'll call the "basics", yes, I do know quite well how to manage & maintain my inventory on clothing & food and keeping those levels where I do not find myself in need or want. I don't have any of the updates. Ok? Yet, again, I wished to play it until I literally had nothing left. Clothing finally down to no further repair options, ammo out/gone, etc. and so on. That's just my personal approach to games. I like to play them to the end. Perhaps our approach and pace are just different. I am in no hurry. I appreciate the "swat on the tail" at any rate. Grizzly Adams I am not. So, we'll see. *grin* I am, however, on my 4th day of the Story mode. Takes some getting used to. (Please remember the vast difference in controls & my preference I mentioned above. This is my first time dealing with much of this, almost like starting over actually.) 

Archived