Downside of a well-stocked base?

Wish

1. Has anyone else experience severe lag when exiting a well-stocked base?
  2. Is there a recommended limit to the amount of supplies one should store indoors?

It takes around 2 minutes to exit Trapper's Cabin from clicking "Leave Cabin" to appearing on the exterior. This is most likely due to all the supplies I have stored there. Exiting and entering other interiors is a normal 2-3 second process. I'm on day 338 of a Voyager run and have been steadily consolidating supplies at Trapper's, though I do have supplies at bases throughout the world as well; Trapper's is just my main base.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there supplies that might better be stored outdoors (such as sticks or scrap metal)?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure about exiting, I would expect it would have more problem with entering it, honestly. 

But yes, a ridiculous amount of items can definitedly prolong loading times. In earlier versions of the game, when campfires would not dissapear, it was difficult to play lenghty games because the number of campfires made loading screens obnoxious and decreased performance of the game severely.

Might be the loading on exit is so slow if you have metric tons of meat stored outside by the cabin.

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Might be the loading on exit is so slow if you have metric tons of meat stored outside by the cabin.

Hm...that could be it. What can I say -- I'm hungry!

The lag also occurs, however, when I quit the game from in the cabin as well.

screen_8e313a5a-1514-4aa9-b517-38de75656da4_hi.png

That doesnt look so bad. I would expect a bigger stockpile, I daresay that I had once bigger stockpiles in a TWM by the Mountaineers, and that game was working fine. But this was a while ago, long before Cartographer. Unless the game "loads up" all the interiors within a region and the items in them as well, if that is the case than I can understand why going outside would slow things out, as well as the logging off inside the hutt in general. 

How good is your rig and what kind of setting you use for the graphics?

I'm working on the stockpile -- actually wondering if it makes sense to stock up as much as possible, knowing that the weather will worsen and animals will become scarce...just let the extra food go down to 0% and cook it up to 50% when needed. 

As for the rig: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 16.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, using high quality settings.

7 hours ago, Wish said:

I'm working on the stockpile -- actually wondering if it makes sense to stock up as much as possible, knowing that the weather will worsen and animals will become scarce...just let the extra food go down to 0% and cook it up to 50% when needed. 

As for the rig: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 16.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, using high quality settings.

I wonder what the issue is, then. Because I played on lower settings with much worse PC on several games with 200+days which had stockpiles considerably big and I never had this problem, at least not that I would notice. Try to gradually separate the items you have to other bases, and see if that helps - or turn the surplus hides to clothing items and other craftables, maybe that will help too, if you reduce the numbers of it.

As for stockpiling - whether the weather becomes worse or not is a matter of difficulty you are playing. As far as I know, the only difficulty where weather keeps getting gradually worse is the Interloper - Voyageur should stay the same.

20 minutes ago, Marmo said:

Is it better to store meat outdoors then?

Of course. Inside, the meat keeps degrading at an alarming speed - but if you throw it outside in a cold, on Voyageur it will degrade one or two percent per day, it is an alarming difference. But dont throw away your cans outside - those actually start to rust outside, and will become ruined very quickly - it is better to store those inside. When it comes to TLD, using your common sense makes all the difference - I know people try to store meat in the fridge, but obviously that doesnt work because fridge needs electricity, but throwing it outside in a snow can work better then the freezer. And it does not attract predators, at least not in this version.

I had this issue in a save before the big wipe.  What I did, and in my case it REALLY helped, was I stored all fire making material (cedar, fir and sticks) outside. 

I had an insane amount of each item.  It was a 750+ day long voyager run and, if I recall correctly) it was about 500 cedar logs, 250 fir logs and more than 1,000 sticks.  Placing them outside of Camp Office reduced that lag significantly. 

Your mileage may vary but it helped me.  I was considering putting most of my stockpiled boiled water outside too but the game wipe rendered that decision for me.

Interesting. I've had tons of loot stockpiled in locations before and all my loading times are about the same. Barring region area differences, of course (pleasant valley is huge). I'm running an i3 and a 750 Ti, but I put TLD on a M.2 SSD, and prior to that it was on a 5400 RPM laptop hard drive, which was about triple the loading time but overall was still pretty consistent, in spite of my pile of sticks that my computer hated when I looked at.

Personally I leave the raw meat outside until it hits below 50%, since cooking provides another 50% condition for it, AND when you do cook it, it will degrade slightly slower than raw meat, more than doubling how long you can keep it in whatever range of condition you deem "safe". Though oddly when doing this near the Camp Office I did notice that some of my cooked meat left outside down to 60% still somehow managed to give me food poisoning.
I guess that wolf really did have the last laugh...

lol @ that meat market  

why stockpile do much wood though?  it respawns ...do u make a fire every day?  I make one about once a week and I kill a deer every 3 or 4 days  but i guess it's something to do to pass the time.  I kinda quit since all I'm doing is eating all day .. if we get another map I'll play that zone

I would think that there's nothing else to do on such a long run but walk around collecting everything sight. As for lag, I have never experienced it myself and will add that running the game on an SSD makes loads nearly instant. Prices on smaller SSDs (120/250GB) are amazing right now, so if it's within your means, I can't recommend it enough.

1 hour ago, Carbon said:

I would think that there's nothing else to do on such a long run but walk around collecting everything sight. As for lag, I have never experienced it myself and will add that running the game on an SSD makes loads nearly instant. Prices on smaller SSDs (120/250GB) are amazing right now, so if it's within your means, I can't recommend it enough.

Yes, the SSD was the best upgrade I ever made.

Got a pretty hefty stockpile myself. (240 days on Voy).

I chose Pleasant Valley Farmstead, mostly because it's very central and Forlorn Muskeg and Broken Railroad has already been picked clean and explored fully. And yes even including that silly little bridge leading to a fenced up area in Broken Railroad :) 

I've torn down everything in the PV farmhouse, and stocked 2-3 cabinets with wood/cloth, just for the heck of it.
I've transported pretty much everything of value I can find. It's amazing what little things you miss even on thorough playthroughs, even the 3rd/4th time you hit a place.
After loosing my bedroll, I decided to cross go to DP for another, met 6 bears on the way, each 1-2 shot, so there's another 150-180 kg's of bearmeat out there to freight back.
That said I prefer having remote food caches consisting solely of deer/bear/wolf meat, since I hate the weight/calory ratio on them. With a few key fishing huts stocked with fish.
Any 0.10 kg foods i keep stocked at base. 

I've got maybe 10 hatchets left and 8 knifes, 7 whetstones, 11 sewing kits, so future looks bright atleast.

Your worse loading @ Trappers could be because there aren't many outdoor containers there, but it's hard to say if it's not some other factor. And seriously dude, organize your mess, that pile of bearmeat is making my OCD go bonkers :/.

I still really want outdoor containers that you can relocate. Give them some fair weights, so it's a struggle to move them, but having the choice would be lovely.

3 hours ago, Carbon said:

I would think that there's nothing else to do on such a long run but walk around collecting everything sight.

This is the answer.  There comes a point on a really long run where there is nothing to do.  Stockpiling wood became my way of burning through the daylight hours.  Every five or six days, hunt deer but most day, collect wood.  I realize the number of logs/sticks is borderline (perhaps over the border) absurd but it passed the time.

I'm playing on a completely crappy laptop.  The only other thing I do on it is write -- that might account for the lag.  Game runs fine otherwise though.

11 hours ago, Arzanot said:

I still really want outdoor containers that you can relocate. Give them some fair weights, so it's a struggle to move them, but having the choice would be lovely.

While only quoting this as exemplary - not wanting to single anyone out - the idea of cleaner bases and organization speaks to something that simply isn't in the game per se, and that is a kind of base-building. These are purely aesthetic concerns and have absolutely no effect on game play whatsoever and this is why clutter and neatness haven't - and likely won't - be addressed by the devs (small team, etc, etc.). If someone can provide an example of a situation where moveable outdoor storage or indoor neatness impact survival, then I will change my stance, but I predict that there will be nothing.

The game world is in disarray and tatters, something we just have to deal with.

Sorry to continue down this off-topic path OP. The lag is perhaps just too many things being loaded into either memory or your paging file. Memory writes are faster than HDD writes (page file) but will still cause slowdowns with large volumes of data flowing back and forth. Your rig should be able to deal with all of this, so maybe you have a HDD issue. Test it for read/write speeds and/or bad sectors, etc. Alos maybe try moving your page file to the drive that contains the game files and make it a set size, not dynamic. I have a similar setup to you (4770k, GTX1070 though) and have my page file set to a mere 1GB (1000MB) and have never had a problem in TLD or any other software.

The GTX780 is a 3GB card I believe and while that sounds like enough, loading all of these items into that memory (frame buffer) may be an issue (the card has to draw a lot of stuff on the screen). Containers may help with this I suppose, but your gathering is simply excessive and the game is having to write a lot of data back and forth over various buses. I suspect this may be a large part of the problem.

On 9/3/2017 at 11:18 AM, Wish said:
  1. Has anyone else experience severe lag when exiting a well-stocked base?
  2. Is there a recommended limit to the amount of supplies one should store indoors?

It takes around 2 minutes to exit Trapper's Cabin from clicking "Leave Cabin" to appearing on the exterior. This is most likely due to all the supplies I have stored there. Exiting and entering other interiors is a normal 2-3 second process. I'm on day 338 of a Voyager run and have been steadily consolidating supplies at Trapper's, though I do have supplies at bases throughout the world as well; Trapper's is just my main base.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there supplies that might better be stored outdoors (such as sticks or scrap metal)?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

It may be beneficial to store as many supplies as possible inside of containers. Assuming you've already done this, then yes, go ahead and take some stuff outside. Sticks, firewood, scrap metal, cloth, whatever you have large/heavy amounts of. Items such as processed foods, drinks, and clothing should probably stay inside, while raw and cooked meats are better off outside, as they last longer in the cold. Also, if you have an excess supply of water, that would probably be better off outside too to cut down on the lag time. I wouldn't say there's a specific limit to how much you can store indoors, but if it's taking that long to load then you've definitely got to move some things around.

20 minutes ago, Carbon said:

While only quoting this as exemplary - not wanting to single anyone out - the idea of cleaner bases and organization speaks to something that simply isn't in the game per se, and that is a kind of base-building. These are purely aesthetic concerns and have absolutely no effect on game play whatsoever and this is why clutter and neatness haven't - and likely won't - be addressed by the devs (small team, etc, etc.). If someone can provide an example of a situation where moveable outdoor storage or indoor neatness impact survival, then I will change my stance, but I predict that there will be nothing.

The game world is in disarray and tatters, something we just have to deal with.

I agree. However, the idea of having something like some sort of pick up, place down -able rucksack or something, perhaps crafted from leather/deerhide, would be a neat addition when it comes to gathering together the appropriate set of items for certain outings, like for deer or bear hunting, or for a hefty ice fishing haul. Just a thought I suddenly had.

Just now, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I agree. However, the idea of having something like some sort of pick up, place down -able rucksack or something, perhaps crafted from leather/deerhide, would be a neat addition when it comes to gathering together the appropriate set of items for certain outings, like for deer or bear hunting, or for a hefty ice fishing haul. Just a thought I suddenly had.

Neat, yes. Necessary, no. This again speaks to something that might be somehow compelling to the player, but ultimately superfluous to game play and has come up many times in the past, to no avail. I wouldn't decline it if it were proposed by HL and would make use of it if it were available, but again, it's just window dressing.

11 minutes ago, Carbon said:

Neat, yes. Necessary, no. This again speaks to something that might be somehow compelling to the player, but ultimately superfluous to game play and has come up many times in the past, to no avail. I wouldn't decline it if it were proposed by HL and would make use of it if it were available, but again, it's just window dressing.

Agreed, it would be more appropriate as a player-created feature through mod support, at whatever time that becomes a thing.

I might add that it would indeed be more immersive to add the physical presence of the backpack, but then where might that end? Animations to pick it up, to drop it, to pack it, etc. It may end up being somewhat of a Pandora's box unless we simply have it appear/disappear from the ground beside us.

But we are well off-topic friend. :) To the wish list!

On 9/8/2017 at 8:47 AM, Carbon said:

Also maybe try moving your page file to the drive that contains the game files

I'd have recommended having the page file on a different drive than the game, if at all possible. One less read/write bottleneck to deal with, that way. The drives, especially mechanical ones, are a much bigger data bottleneck than the data busses.

Archived