I think I broke the Bear (Jeremiah's Mission Bear)

L²

So I was on the 5th leg of the hunt for Jeremiah's bear and I was perched on the stone ledge to the left of where the tracks come down on the trailer side of the ridge.  Once I start seeing paw prints, I crouch and crouch-walk out to the end of the ledge.  I see him walking by, but he's just our of effective range, so I stand momentarily to draw him...it works...now he is charging towards me.  I get in a solid flank shot, but he keeps coming (based on my position, he has to round the rock ledge and then he can come at me).  

Since there is time and I have plenty of ammo, I fire again...this is where it gets weird.  Audio-wise, I hear the anticipated mauling and screaming, accompanied by the ripping sounds of my clothing  (normally I manage to hit him and he runs off, but this time I miscalculated my initial shot), however, visually, the bear drops dead right on top of me!  And when i say he dropped dead, I am not guessing, I actually for a short moment see him from above laying dead, sideways, on the rock perch. But then the view switches and I SEE the dead bear on top of me, but I still hear the audio of his mauling, me screaming, my clothes ripping and the bird cawing like it's Alfred Hitchcock's movie, "The Birds".

The audio seems stuck in a loop and I cannot stand, move, open any menus...nothing...quite weird.  The attached photo is my view under the bear. I had to end up killing the process and start the game again.  Okay, now weird gets WEIRD...when I resume the game, it come back to the bear looking straight at me on the rock ledge, then he drops over dead! (see second image)  When i check the mission, it shows 5/6 grayed out as complete and then says take back proof to Jeremiah. (see third image).

I thought the quest had to go the full 6/6 to complete.  Had I known a well placed head shot would kill him, I would have opted for that much earlier.

tld 2017-09-02 14-03-34.png

screen_(1054, 30, 1256)_b3343578-18b3-4b6d-aaec-134896303617.png

screen_a5d25b48-1875-47b9-988a-004e8aa0e723_hi.png

I would click on him and see if you can get the ear, and or quit and reload the game.

Best case scenario you get to do it over....

Worst case scenario the game saved when you killed him and it will be stuck as unfinished when you reload....

I don't know what to tell you lol, this is a new bug....you shot him at the exact wrong second it appears. I had a similar bug in the Sandbox when shooting a bear right by a door to a trailer in CH and running inside right when a mauling started.....

It is indeed a bug...I was able to retrieve the ear, so that part is cool, but after taking the time to harvest the bear hide, the guts, and 84lbs. of bear meat, I settled down in one of the trailers to get some rest.  When i awoke, I went back to where the bear was and what did I find?  Another complete bear carcass...another 74lbs. of bear meat, another hide, and 10 more guts.  I have food for a long time and once the weather breaks, I will see if Jeremiah will take the ear.

screen_(5, 2, 0)_d0ac6008-b1bd-45e1-9f04-831e24782e9e.png

6 minutes ago, L² said:

It is indeed a bug...I was able to retrieve the ear, so that part is cool, but after taking the time to harvest the bear hide, the guts, and 84lbs. of bear meat, I settled down in one of the trailers to get some rest.  When i awoke, I went back to where the bear was and what did I find?  Another complete bear carcass...another 74lbs. of bear meat, another hide, and 10 more guts.  I have food for a long time and once the weather breaks, I will see if Jeremiah will take the ear.

screen_(5, 2, 0)_d0ac6008-b1bd-45e1-9f04-831e24782e9e.png

The duplicating Old Bear bug, is a beneficial bug introduced in one of the patches to try to fix the problem of people not getting the ear at all (or the ear disappearing after dying after collecting it). Somehow the fix has involved more bears spawning. I saw a screenshot where someone got like 8 Old Bear carcasses to spawn....

The added meat is a nice bonus if you can find the time to harvest and cook it all lol...

Don't forget to leave a bunch outside in the snow to keep it fresh....!

PS I thought you were LITERALLY stuck and couldn't move your character....

4 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

[Note 1] The added meat is a nice bonus if you can find the time to harvest and cook it all lol...

[Note 2] Don't forget to leave a bunch outside in the snow to keep it fresh....!

[Note 3] PS I thought you were LITERALLY stuck and couldn't move your character....

[Note 1 reply...]  Indeed, I have most of it harvested, but the condition drops quite precipitously after death for some reason.  By the time I harvested Bear #2, it was ruined...but that just meant dropping it near the Wood Stove to be cooked as needed for 50% quality :D

[Note 2 reply...] Agreed, as I indicated above, they are near the stove in the burned out cabin...this way wolves will not be able to get to it.

[Note 3 reply] I was literally stuck and couldn't move...then I killed the game process thinking that when i restarted it would put me back on the ridge at the save point before encountering the bear.  However, it restarted with me on the rock ledge after being mauled and the bear died in front of me.

23 minutes ago, L² said:

[Note 1 reply...]  Indeed, I have most of it harvested, but the condition drops quite precipitously after death for some reason.  By the time I harvested Bear #2, it was ruined...but that just meant dropping it near the Wood Stove to be cooked as needed for 50% quality :D

[Note 2 reply...] Agreed, as I indicated above, they are near the stove in the burned out cabin...this way wolves will not be able to get to it.

[Note 3 reply] I was literally stuck and couldn't move...then I killed the game process thinking that when i restarted it would put me back on the ridge at the save point before encountering the bear.  However, it restarted with me on the rock ledge after being mauled and the bear died in front of me.

Well at least it all worked out in the end! Now you just have to make sure you can turn in the ear....but I don't see why that wouldn't work. You should be fine....;)

Yep, he took the ear and all is good as far as that quest is concerned...though I think I may have fubar'ed the Forest Talker one somehow.  I still have not found the start of that side quest...I really need to be more observant. 

On 9/3/2017 at 9:23 AM, L² said:

Yep, he took the ear and all is good as far as that quest is concerned...though I think I may have fubar'ed the Forest Talker one somehow.  I still have not found the start of that side quest...I really need to be more observant. 

Which one the gunshots one?

I thought you just walk out on Mystery lake before or after checking the lake cabins....

Then there is like a dead body outside one of the lake cabins in the snow. 

I haven't done it, but I'm assuming after you find the dead body, you find a note or a clue or something and then do what your journal says....or what the note said....

Archived