Acorn Pancakes & Roasted Pine Nuts

CitrinePeridot

I'm trying to brainstorm on two issues. One, in addition to obtaining safe drinking water & meat, I was thinking of quicker food items that one could create in the last bits of a fire so one can make the most of it. Also, in response to the parasite(s) being added, I would like to come up with what I believe would be somewhat readily available alternative food sources (aside from canned) to broaden our possible "menu".

So, acorn pancakes & roasted pine nuts would be two additional ones that might be worth considering. They won't pack the nutritional punch as meat would, but they could serve as a "quick bite" in a pinch. Or, as with the roasted pine nuts, be carried (as well as being light in weight).

4 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

I'm trying to brainstorm on two issues. One, in addition to obtaining safe drinking water & meat, I was thinking of quicker food items that one could create in the last bits of a fire so one can make the most of it. Also, in response to the parasite(s) being added, I would like to come up with what I believe would be somewhat readily available alternative food sources (aside from canned) to broaden our possible "menu".

So, acorn pancakes & roasted pine nuts would be two additional ones that might be worth considering. They won't pack the nutritional punch as meat would, but they could serve as a "quick bite" in a pinch. Or, as with the roasted pine nuts, be carried (as well as being light in weight).

So acorn pancakes....huh....?

Interesting....

Now you made me think of roasted chestnuts....mmmm those would be nice, and should have a warm up bonus....

1 minute ago, Thrasador said:

So acorn pancakes....huh....?

Interesting....

Now you made me think of roasted chestnuts....mmmm those would be nice, and should have a warm up bonus....

For the life of me I can't recall the name of the book, but when I was a child, I read a book about a girl who lived basically in a tree & who made acorn pancakes. It included a description of how one goes about doing so. So, yeah. Acorn pancakes. LOL As for roasted pine nuts, I do know those are possible. 

Acorn was used to make various dishes by the north american natives for ages, but the issue with this particular food source is that there are not going to be any oaks (the three where acorn grows) so far up north in Canada. Oaks like warmer climates then the one present in the TLD - so while it was a good idea, it would not be very accurate. There are some species that grow further up north, but the Great Bear Island is likely located in belt of tundra - seeing as the only trees that grow on it are maple, birch and evergreens. So, a northern-ish Canada, too cold for oaks.

But who knows, maybe the TLD was not intended to be tundrish entirely, and it just happened to look that way because the game doesnt have other trees in it yet.

As for the pine seeds - yes, that would be great addition. Most conifers have edible seeds, doesnt have to be pine specifically. I think it could be pretty light-to-carry food which would have decent calories, but would require lots of collecting and some preparation before it was edible. 

Archived