Marmo

Charcoal/Map Question

Recommended Posts

If you already know your way around(or can pull a map from the internet) is there really any point of using the charcoal to sketch a map? Is this just for completists?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really, but it's still fun to use some times. Great way to pass time as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marmo said:

If you already know your way around(or can pull a map from the internet) is there really any point of using the charcoal to sketch a map? Is this just for completists?

Thanks.

Charting sometimes discovers stuff I didn't notice, like containers or saplings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are lost and the weather isn't terrible, you can sketch a quick map and work out where you are, which has saved me a couple of times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Marmo said:

If you already know your way around(or can pull a map from the internet) is there really any point of using the charcoal to sketch a map? Is this just for completists?

Thanks.

Actually, considering how "small" the circle is when charting, I dont think the map was really intended to be "completed and used for navigation" rather then used as a tool. Its value comes in when exploring, and coming across a resource you cant pick up right now - so you chart it down to remember it is there, so you can pick it up later. It can also be invaluable in locating carcasses if the weather is not optimal for crows or crows didnt show up yet. 

Also, thanks to some changes, the internet maps made by whiteberry_toarta are not that precise anymore. For example, I still see maps of Pleasant Valley circling around which claim that coal can be found in the cavern that connects PV with the Winding river (cross section to Mystery Lake), but this hasnt been the case for quite some time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know whether resources vanish from the self-drawn map when you harvest them? Also: If you have drawn a portion of the map and a deer or other animal bleeds out there later, will the carcass appear on the self-drawn map?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hotzn said:

Does anybody know whether resources vanish from the self-drawn map when you harvest them? Also: If you have drawn a portion of the map and a deer or other animal bleeds out there later, will the carcass appear on the self-drawn map?

Answer to both questions is a no.
If you draw a map and it has, for example, a log on it, it will not dissapear from the map if you harvest it (actually not a 100% sure about that statement), or it despawns. The only way to "remove it" is to harvest it, and then use the charcoal next to that location again - that will re-write the current resources in the area. This is what I meant by "having a value as a tool" - if you dont have time to harvest wood in that particular area at the moment, but you noticed 4 logs of Fir firewood there, you can mark it to your map, and come back next day which you dedicate to collecting firewood, for example.

If you mark down map while having a bleeding animal running about, it will not appear as a carcass on the map, unless it was already dead by the time you finished scripting into the map and it died within your eyesight. So, lets say you have shot a deer - now it is very windy outside, but you are not cold. Hour passed, so you know the deer is already dead somewhere but there are no murders of crows because its windy. You can take a high ground and use the charcoal to "scan" the area and hope it will show up on your map, to help you locate it. 
But if the animal bleeds out after you have already finished scribbling into your own map, it will not be displayed.

Some people reported that sometimes, the game will mark down resource like Rose Hips into the map after it was already fully harvested - this is a known bug, not sure if they already fixed it or not yet.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Answer to both questions is a no.
If you draw a map and it has, for example, a log on it, it will not dissapear from the map if you harvest it (actually not a 100% sure about that statement), or it despawns. The only way to "remove it" is to harvest it, and then use the charcoal next to that location again - that will re-write the current resources in the area. This is what I meant by "having a value as a tool" - if you dont have time to harvest wood in that particular area at the moment, but you noticed 4 logs of Fir firewood there, you can mark it to your map, and come back next day which you dedicate to collecting firewood, for example.

If you mark down map while having a bleeding animal running about, it will not appear as a carcass on the map, unless it was already dead by the time you finished scripting into the map and it died within your eyesight. So, lets say you have shot a deer - now it is very windy outside, but you are not cold. Hour passed, so you know the deer is already dead somewhere but there are no murders of crows because its windy. You can take a high ground and use the charcoal to "scan" the area and hope it will show up on your map, to help you locate it. 
But if the animal bleeds out after you have already finished scribbling into your own map, it will not be displayed.

Some people reported that sometimes, the game will mark down resource like Rose Hips into the map after it was already fully harvested - this is a known bug, not sure if they already fixed it or not yet.  

Thanks for this. I'll have to experiment a little with the mapping feature it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Thanks for this. I'll have to experiment a little with the mapping feature it seems.

Happy to help. I know this because I took a game on Pilgrim difficulty (that is the most bountiful mode, with the most resources to mark down) and tried to make a complete map of the Mystery Lake, with all the predetermined carcass spawns and everything. So I know the "resources" on the map will not dissapear even if they get harvested by you, because I tried to see where the "wood" spawns, I charcoaled it all as-is, and after that I harvested it all to get fire for more charcoals. 
And carcasses eventually dissapear - since the whole mapping thing took several ingame days, I ran around the entire map first, marking down the carcasses and their surroundings as first because I knew they would eventually dissapear, and once they did, I didnt want them to accidentaly dissapear as I was marking something in their location.

So, the final result was a map, which contained all the pre-spawned locations of that particular game in Mystery Lake. It is gone now since it was on my broken laptop, but I will do it again at some point, once I get a new PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now