Just loving Survival Mode

Marmo

Just to say I love the new updated Survival Mode, it's a joy to be back on Mystery Lake with the improved graphics and changes (the night sky looks amazing). Even though a lot of work has gone into the story mode, it just doesn't do it for me although I suspect i am in the minority. Big thanks to everyone at Hinterland for an amazing game.

1 hour ago, Marmo said:

Just to say I love the new updated Survival Mode, it's a joy to be back on Mystery Lake with the improved graphics and changes (the night sky looks amazing). Even though a lot of work has gone into the story mode, it just doesn't do it for me although I suspect i am in the minority. Big thanks to everyone at Hinterland for an amazing game.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts with us, @Marmo - we appreciate it! 

@Marmo by Night Sky do you mean the Aurora or the actual night sky. Like the stars and stuff, in what's called the "skybox". Because for me the night sky looks like a low resolution, outstreched photo taken with a flip phone. The Aurora looks AWESOME but there's something wrong with the night sky texture.

I think the skybox is intended to look like a watercolour painting of the night sky. That doesn't really bother me that much... what does bother me about it is that the usual direction sign posts (big dipper, little dipper, and Polaris) are not in it, which means using it to navigate is a non-starter.

I kinda get the perpetual winter thing... it's a conceit which would be true after a supervolcanic eruption somewhere in the world. Given the signs in the game that there were some massive earthquakes (that apparently took place while the player was still in the air before crashing) that's not completely out of bounds. However, I would really like it if the skybox was an accurate one wrt constellations, that the constellations moved seasonally even if the season itself doesn't (pick a date for the crash... I nominate Groundhog Day as a nod to that most excellent of movies with all lives restarting then) so that by the time you're a hundred and twenty days in you're looking at the summer constellations, not the winter ones, and that the length of days and nights were reflected by that as well... I can kinda buy perpetual winter because they've happened before (last time was when Toba erupted ~65kya) but losing earth's axial tilt is something I can't buy. As it were.

As of right now, that is the one I have chosen. I had the free original version for less than 6 months, and there are many things different that I did not "experience" in subsequent upgrades. So, I chose to begin with the survival mode set on the easiest setting until I get better acquainted with the controls, additions, revisions, etc. with which I am unfamiliar. I too love it. Yet, I am looking forward to the story mode when I feel I am confident enough to embark on it. So, you're not alone.

Archived