Hotzn

V1.12 Interloper run

Recommended Posts

I was thinking whether I should continue my Faithful Cartographer run, but in the end I thought I should start a new one, since I expect a couple of things will have changed in the sandbox as well with release. So, as always... Interloper... play the girl... no badges... and go.

Day 1:

Errrgh... guess I should call this "Night 1", since I spawn shortly after midnight. Fittingly, the aurorae are on. Beautiful, but word is on the yard that the aurorae also bring along zombie wolves. I'm a little spooked. Needless to say, it is freezing cold, I am losing warmth rapidly. So where am I? Somewhere on Timberwolf Mountain, but I have no idea where. I really should know this map better.

I start running around, and soon I think I roughly know where I am - near the three-way cave which I think I once called Nick's cave, for reasons I have forgotten. As far as I remember I may expect matches as a guaranteed spawn inside. Yes, there is the cave... a box of wooden matches, bingo! And a torch! That will help me save matches! A candy bar in the plastic container, one piece of Cedar and Fir each, also three sticks. That's all. Freezing has set in, and the hypothermia risk pops up. Time to move on.

Downwards I run and reach the engine-to-engine cave without incidents. I enter, it's a felt -2°C inside (my clothes of course are intended for a day on the beach). I harvest one stick for two tinder plugs, lilght the torch and use it to light a fire with the Cedar log. 60% chance, the first try works. The Fir log goes into the fire as well, and while warming up I make 2 litres of water. Hotzn, what's the plan? There is a container near the cave entrance in the Echo Ravine, but it is usually guarded by wolves, and the way through the ravine is long. Lots of freezing damage at least. I could wait until sunrise and make a dash for the container, then return here into the cave. But I need to cross the cave sooner ar later. Better sooner, since I must fear exhaustion - the only place I can sleep in is the Mountaineer's Hut, for lack of a bedroll. So I'll leave the container and cross the cave right now. I'll need light, so I pull torches until the remaining fire has nothing left to give. With the last torch burning, I set out into the darkness...

On the way I manage to pick up 5 pieces of coal, which will surely be of use later. On reaching the exit, I have two torches left in my bag, a third one is burning. However, dawn has not yet broken, from outside an eerie green light is glowing through the cave mouth. When my torch is down, I drop it and ignite another one. The last one will remain in my bag to be used for igniting the next fire. The burning torch gives off just enough heat to keep the felt temperature above freezing, but not for long... I watch it burning down... still green light outside...

Dawn finally breaks with the last embers of the torch. Setting out, I turn left, pass the engine and skimmy down the cliff, find the frozen river and follow it to Crystal Lake. No wolves to be seen anywhere, it looks like my lucky day! Enter the Mountaineer's Hut... assorted firewood and another box of wooden matches. I have frostbite risk at hands and head, and hypothermia risk. So the first thing is to start a fire and put all the wood on it apart from one Cedar log. Then I break the two crates (finding a hidden tin of sardines underneath one, nice) and put the reclaimed wood on the fire as well. Warming up with two arrows up now, that should suffice. So what have we got here? A ski jacket under one of the beds... a book (Wilderness Kitchen)... sewing kit... hacksaw (yay!)... candy bar. And a rope, which will probably stay here. Nothing in the hatch.

Now what? It is still morning, but I am half fatigued. I must gather as many cat tail stalks on the lake as possible, also some sticks to keep the fire going. I should also sleep a little to avoid ending up exhausted. For lack of sufficient firewood, I cannot stay overnight. So I must move over to Pleasant Valley and sleep in the bunker. But I shouldn't be exhausted when I get going, or I will be too slow and take too much freezing damage.

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I´m a simple man, I see a Hotzn Post, I upvote ^^       Sleep a bit, as long as the fire allows, collect all (or some) cat tails, wave to the wolves and make a run for PV bunker.

Edited by June

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the day is spent collecting cat tail stalks on the lake and sleeping hour-wise in the hut to warm up again and reduce fatigue a little. I can't salvage everything on the far side to the right due to a bear pawing around there, but manage to get 42 cat tail stalks altogether, that's 6,300 calories. The fishing hut has a Canadian toque (yay!), and I even find the leisure to stone a rabbit, cook 1 kg of its meat and take the gut along with me. On reaching the bunker at the rope to PV at dusk, I have also picked up 52 sticks on the way.

There is still a little bit of light in the bunker, so I do some searching and actually find nice stuff (on other occasions this place did not give me much) - a red sweater, a granola bar, driving gloves and another box of matches. I realize I am still freezing in here... aha, a felt 0°C... being down to 38% condition, I eat plentiful (the Granola bar is at 22% - a slight risk for food poisoning - but I am lucky), drink and go to sleep for 10 hours.

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2:

The next morning is dedicated to searching the bunker more thoroughly - I break apart the crates and the cardboard box in hopes of finding something underneath, but there is nothing. Looking into the corners and under the shelves with a torch (I lit the stove in the broken cabin "upstairs" to save matches)... nothing. My next destination is Rural Crossroads, but the wind is blowing head on from there, so I stay at the oven, making water. I also store 5 cat tail stalks in the metal box next to it as emergency reserve should I return to TWM later in this run.

When I am fully warmed up and the wind has died down, I grab another torch from the oven and am on my way... only to find wind and snow picking up after a few meters? Blizzard incoming? And turning the next corner, I am barked up by a wolf. Exactly at that moment the wind blows out my torch. This does not seem to be the day for the trip, and I back off to the bunker - unharmed at least - to listen to a blizzard starting outside.

On a sidenote, I earned the achievement for surviving Interloper for a day. "Face the impossible" or something like that. There should be another Interloper achievement which is harder to obtain. Like "survive 100 days exclusively in Forlorn Muskeg" or some such.

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, June said:

I´m a simple man, I see a Hotzn Post, I upvote ^^       Sleep a bit, as long as the fire allows, collect all (or some) cat tails, wave to the wolves and make a run for PV bunker.

That's exactly what I did, including waving to the wolves: For most of the day, there were just deer and a bear on the lake. In the afternoon, the first wolf changed guard with the deer.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

So much stuff out there in TWM, and you just leave it there to the wolves :D

A Hotzn story wouldn't be a Hotzn story without the wakeful eye of Drifter Man watching. I may yet return to TWM later in this run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2 (continued):

The blizzard rages on outside, and I am thinking what to do in the bunker. I know the damage blizzards do to clothes have been greatly reduced, and it might actually make sense to travel in a blizzard now. But old habits are hard to overcome - I wait it out. I study "Wilderness Kitchen" for one hour, then rip through the cardboard boxes lying flatly on the floor. Nothing underneath. Towards dusk the blizzard subsides, but I shall not travel into the night. So I will stay in the bunker until tomorrow. Lost a day here. Clicking the bed, I verify that every hour of sleep consumes 75 calories, meaning I need to stuff myself up to 750 calories for a potential 10 hours of heal-sleep. I rest until nightfall, then eat 5 cat tail stalks, drink water and go to sleep for 10 hours. On waking up, I have healed back from 60% condition to 86%. So... 26%. Is that the max for 10 hours? Maybe I wasn't exhausted enough - quite exhausted, but not fully exhausted. Will keep an eye on that.

It's still before dawn, so why can I see things inside the bunker? Ah... an aurora, the lights are flickering. Does it make sense to go outside now, is there anything to be gained from the aurora? Porbably not, and there is probably additional wolf risk. Better stay inside. Interestingly, my calorie store is not yet empty. Some 45 calories remain and are ticking down. Let's see... can I read books under the flickering electrical lights? Yes, I can. So I'm two hours into the book now. Does this already raise my cooking skill, or do I need to finish the book before anything happens there? Looks like I need to finish the book.

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 3:

Leaving the bunker early in the morning, I walk down the slope and turn left. Yesterday's wolf is nowhere to be seen, but I feel uneasy about carrying the fresh gut from the rabbit around. A brief check does not show any scent icon, but I read somewhere that I may be giving off scent anyway. Striking the path to the road, I follow it, and really - a wolf in the distance barks me up and comes running much sooner than expected. I drop the gut as decoy, the wolf goes for it, and I cut across to the right and climb down onto the frozen river. Again heading left, I make my way to Rural Crossroads. No wolves to be seen here, fortunately. I enter the cabin on the far side of the road (the one with a bed) frozen down to 58% and start looting it, all the while warming up slowly. The result: a can of tomato soup, some lantern oil and - this is the best find here - brand new wool socks!

The car in Rural Crossroads yields another wool toque, which is great. My head will be super-duper-warm for the rest of this run, if wolves/bears do not get the opportunity to shred my clothes. The other buildings have some more food & soda, another edition of "Wilderness Kitchen", another sewing kit and, of course, numerous crates for taking apart. It is now afternoon, and Hotzn should make a new plan...

I shouldn't travel much further today, since my condition is low. This might attract wolves. So it seems more prudent to stay here for one night and do some healing. There is a deer carcass behind one of the cabins - meat, guts and a deer hide to be had here. And I could leave them here for curing, do a tour of the valley and pick them up when they have cured before heading out to Coastal Highway. Unfortunately, I am not fully familiar with how long each item takes to cure. I dimly remember guts are faster than the hide... maybe 4 days? The hide maybe 6? It could work. All I need is a fire by the carcass. I've got the wood and all. Hopefully I will not be interrupted by a blizzard...

I'm not. 1.3 kg of juicy venison, a hide and two guts are soon mine. I drop them on the floor in the cabin with the bed for curing, eat 1 kg of meat, drink and go to sleep for 10 hours. My condition in the evening: 47%.

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 4:

Waking up shorty before dawn, I am back at 79% condition. Which means I healed 32% or 6% more than the night before. Probably because I was almost fully exhausted this time. Deer hide and guts on the floor have both cured 9%. That means roughly 1% per hour and slightly over four days to cure completely. Excellent. I shall leave them here and pick them up again on my way back. I also deposit 5 cat tail stalks in the cupboard at the entrance - the equivalent of one night of sleep-healing as emergency cache. I repair clothes - mainly the wool toques and the ski jacket - until the sun is well up, then I hit the road.

A bear is skulking around the place, but I move off into the other direction, crossing the bridge and taking the road towards the Outbuildings. Take a bit of freezing damage, but reach the red barn without incidents. Inside, I find a copy of "Stay on Target" - a book I have not seen before. It obviously is about shooting skills. In the back of the truck there is a box of simple tools, and upstairs an emergency stim (I'm still on the fence about whether these should be in the game) and two cans of dog food. I love how my girl sings "Thank youuu!" on picking these up. That audio cue seems new, and it's brilliant.

Eating some of that delicious dog food, I continue reading "Wilderness kitchen", which is pretty funny somehow. When the sun sets, I stuff myself over 750 calories, drink and settle down in that cozy truck for 10 hours of sleep.

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 5:

As usual, I wake up before dawn. I healed back 31% condition this time and am at 92% now. What can I currently do in the dark? Repair my clothes? Curiously, my girl starts the repairing process, then suddenly decides she can't do it in the dark. The "failure" audio cue is heard. Hmmm... did I just lose a piece of cloth? Didn't pay attention, so I can't say. Well, reading certainly doesn't work, so I'll just have to wait. When the sun is up, I finish reading my first "Wilderness Kitchen". The book disappears from the tools section in my inventory, but is still visible in the firemaking section. Checking the journal, I see that my cooking skill has increased considerably, but I am still at level 1. Then I repair my hacksaw with the simple tools. I will not need the tools in a long time now, and they are not exactly rare, so I drop the toolbox again and leave the barn.

It's cold outside, but clear. It's just a short trip to the Farmstead, and I take very little freezing damage. There is only one wolf to be seen, far off towards Draft Dodger's, and I am not concerned. I soon reach the Farmstead and plunder it. My equipment is complemented with a can opener, more matches (the guaranteed spawn in the basement), another sewing kit, a box of quality tools, some food, a ski jacket (my second one) and - best find here - trail boots (in the basement). I harvest my leather shoes and repair the trail boots up to 98%. The basement also has another hacksaw. But I don't need two, so I leave it there.

I do some mending and light another fire in the fireplace to pull torches and search the Farmstead and basement thoroughly. Wouldn't want to miss a potential magnifying glass... but there is none. Only a whetstone and some scrap metal I overlooked in dark corners in the basement. I finally do take the second hacksaw from there, intending to deposit it in another place which is more easily accessible should I somehow lose or break my primary hacksaw (unlikely as it is). Then it's off to bed and sleep.

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Day 3:

A brief check does not show any scent icon, but I read somewhere that I may be giving off scent anyway. Striking the path to the road, I follow it, and really - a wolf in the distance barks me up and comes running much sooner than expected.

This would seem to confirm the suspicions that even a single smelly item increases your detection-range by some amount.

 

1 hour ago, Hotzn said:

Inside, I find a copy of "Stay on Target" - a book I have not seen before. It obviously is about shooting skills.

Archery skills, to be precise.. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hotzn said:

I may yet return to TWM later in this run.

Be sure to spend some time in BR.  That place is overflowing with loot!  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JAFO said:

This would seem to confirm the suspicions that even a single smelly item increases your detection-range by some amount.

One fresh gut definitely gives you one scent bar @Hotznmay not be aware that they hid scent bars for the more minimalist HUD, and you can only see if you have scent briefly by hitting the button to make the "time" appear (the sun and moon pictogram), or by going to your condition menu and looking there....

Your scent is no longer shown at the top of the screen at all times....you know because that was waaaaaay too much clutter on the screen the other way....

Also we never got a change log with Wintermute so how would anyone know they arbitrarily changed that when releasing Wintermute....

Edited by Thrasador
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thrasador said:

One fresh gut definitely gives you one scent bar @Hotznmay not be aware that they hid scent bars for the more minimalist HUD

Good points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

One fresh gut definitely gives you one scent bar @Hotznmay not be aware that they hid scent bars for the more minimalist HUD, and you can only see if you have scent briefly by hitting the button to make the "time" appear (the sun and moon pictogram), or by going to your condition menu and looking there....

Your scent is no longer shown at the top of the screen at all times....you know because that was waaaaaay too much clutter on the screen the other way....

Also we never got a change log with Wintermute so how would anyone know they arbitrarily changed that when releasing Wintermute....

My bad...it takes 2 fresh gut for 1 bar, my mistake.

I just popped in the game to double check...

The rest is true though about hiding the wavy lines and not telling us.

Also, what @JAFO said is true about giving off smell even with no bars.

I tested this with no meat, 2 pieces of cooked meat, and 5 pieces of cooked meat. It takes 6 pieces of cooked meat to make one scent bar to appear.

With no meat I could sneak so close to a wolf I could almost smack it in the keester.

With two pieces I could get pretty close....probaby about 15 feet away before he turned around because he smelled me....somehow he still couldn't see me because I started moving to the left while sneaking and he was still going to my last "smelled" position.

Five pieces was almost as bad a 1 official scent bar. He turned around and started walking twords my position from pretty damned far away. I'm not really sure how to guesstimate distance with the weird warped Field of View, but the wolf was at least 50 feet away. Probably more....

So even though 5 pieces of cooked meat don't register an official scent bar, a wolf is still going to smell you from MUCH farther away than if you had one or two pieces....or no pieces.

Since fresh gut is pretty smelly and it only takes 2 pieces of fresh gut to get one scent bar....one could speculate that one gut is equal to about three pieces of cooked meat. So I guess a wolf would start tracking your scent from about 30 feet away, even if you were crouching.....especially if the wind was blowing your smell twords him...

Edited by Thrasador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @JAFO, @Timber Wolfand @Thrasador for the input - a lot of TLD knowledge coming together here. I was aware of the fact that I have to press [TAB] to bring up the HUD and check whether I have any scent bars "active" or not. But it is good to have it confirmed that wolves also smell stuff below the "1-scent-bar" threshold. That confirms a strategy I have been following lately - to not carry fresh hides/guts and/or meat around too much, and to try and get to a "curing location" as quickly as possible after obtaining any hides/guts. I was pleasantly surprised that I can drop the guts as decoy now - if I remember correctly this was not possible some versions ago. Then again, some versions ago I think guts didn't even smell, just the meat.

I have to say that the scent mechanic seems to have evolved greatly, and one has to acknowledge that the developers did a very good job here. You really have to dig a little into the game to discover how all of this works, but if you do it allows you to adapt in a way that seems quite natural - just try to avoid any behaviour that attracts danger, in this case wolves. 

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no, my friend.  The BR is not a good place for @Hotzn !  I was just joking.  ;)

I thought everyone knew how barren it was.  Interested in how little loot there is, check out my recon here

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

Oh no, my friend.  The BR is not a good place for @Hotzn !  I was just joking.  ;)

I thought everyone knew how barren it was.  Interested in how little loot there is, check out my recon here

Well it's only got two proper structures, a hunter blind, about 15-20 cattails around the main lake, and like 3 caves.....one with a bear. 

The maintenance yard seems pretty big, but as far as searchable containers it's probably not a whole lot bigger than the gas station in CH. The hunters lodge does not equal all the other searchable buildings that are usually present in CH even with more than half of them burned down.

As far as lootable locations and loot it's probably on par with FM, but with far less caves, coal, and edible plant life....in general. I mean it's got more lockers than Spence farm, but Spence and the rest of FM usually has some decent static loot even on Interloper.

I haven't tried BR on Interloper yet tbh, but I don't think I would want to, lol....

Whole lot of wolves with even less stuff than FM....

Edited by Thrasador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 6:

The next morning sees me back at 99% condition. The plan for today is to hike up Signal hill and check out Radio Control Hut. The place usually has good loot, and I am still missing the prybar and the storm lantern. Coffee and tea would come in handy as well. I take the long route around the right hand side of the cliff, and since it's not too cold outside skip making a fire and eat some freezing damage instead. Around noon I reach Radio Control Hut. Don't find much - some food, a flare, another sewing kit (surely not running out of those any time soon) and a tin of coffee (that at least). Then I make a fire in the barrel outside the Hut to prepare 3 additional litres of water. I am not exactly careful with my matches, as I do not intend this run to last forever.

I spend the rest of the day trying out the mapping feature - outside temperatures are somewhat mild, and I can do some sketching here and there without freezing. I only manage to draw the immediate vicinity of the Hut (despite overlooking almost the whole valley from here), and the map even shows things like Old Man's Beard and a Fir limb nearby. Is this really useful? Hmmm... so far the mapping feature does not add much to the game for me.

Then it's dusk and I retire into the Hut - eat, drink and go to sleep... no. Today it's not that easy - I get food poisoning from a tin of sardines. Grrr... what to do? I don't really know how to handle food poisoning. Take a look into the medical menue... hm. I either need antibiotics or Rose Hip tea and then 10 hours of rest. I haven't found antibiotics so far. So how much rose hips have I got? 24. Looks like that's just enough to make one load of "prepared rosehips". So I make it. Now what? OK, I need to make another fire and cook that into tea, right? Better so that to avoid getting caught up here with illness. So I go outside to the barrel, light a fire and make... well... Rose Hip tea, I guess.

OK, take a closer look... arrrgh! Rose Hip tea is for pain-killing! #%&!"hhhhhhhhrchhh... What do I need? Hmpf, Reishi mushrooms! Check... arrrgh! Can you believe it? I've only picked up one - one! - Reishi mushroom! Not enough to make tea!

O Hotzn, what are you doing? This is a bad situation! And Hotzn - in his real life - is going to bed now, because - believe it or not - he is going out into the forest tomorrow very early in the morning to look for... mushrooms! Hehe. Strange, but true. So our girl in Radio Control Hut will have to wait a little for salvation...

Edited by Hotzn
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2017 at 5:15 PM, Hotzn said:

Day 6:

The next morning sees me back at 99% condition. The plan for today is to hike up Signal hill and check out Radio Control Hut. The place usually has good loot, and I am still missing the prybar and the storm lantern. Coffee and tea would come in handy as well. I take the long route around the right hand side of the cliff, and since it's not too cold outside skip making a fire and eat some freezing damage instead. Around noon I reach Radio Control Hut. Don't find much - some food, a flare, another sewing kit (surely not running out of those any time soon) and a tin of coffee (that at least). Then I make a fire in the barrel outside the Hut to prepare 3 additional litres of water. I am not exactly careful with my matches, as I do not intend this run to last forever.

I spend the rest of the day trying out the mapping feature - outside temperatures are somewhat mild, and I can do some sketching here and there without freezing. I only manage to draw the immediate vicinity of the Hut (despite overlooking almost the whole valley from here), and the map even shows things like Old Man's Beard and a Fir limb nearby. Is this really useful? Hmmm... so far the mapping feature does not add much to the game for me.

Then it's dusk and I retire into the Hut - eat, drink and go to sleep... no. Today it's not that easy - I get food poisoning from a tin of sardines. Grrr... what to do? I don't really know how to handle food poisoning. Take a look into the medical menue... hm. I either need antibiotics or Rose Hip tea and then 10 hours of rest. I haven't found antibiotics so far. So how much rose hips have I got? 24. Looks like that's just enough to make one load of "prepared rosehips". So I make it. Now what? OK, I need to make another fire and cook that into tea, right? Better so that to avoid getting caught up here with illness. So I go outside to the barrel, light a fire and make... well... Rose Hip tea, I guess.

OK, take a closer look... arrrgh! Rose Hip tea is for pain-killing! #%&!"hhhhhhhhrchhh... What do I need? Hmpf, Reishi mushrooms! Check... arrrgh! Can you believe it? I've only picked up one - one! - Reishi mushroom! Not enough to make tea!

O Hotzn, what are you doing? This is a bad situation! And Hotzn - in his real life - is going to bed now, because - believe it or not - he is going out into the forest tomorrow very early in the morning to look for... mushrooms! Hehe. Strange, but true. So our girl in Radio Control Hut will have to wait a little for salvation...

That blows about the mushrooms....normally I find them in three's on stumps. It's weird to have one....did you already make a mushroom tea earlier? I didn't go back and re-read your prior days. I suppose I could....

I'm sure you can find more.....the closest ones are due north of you by a bear cave....they are very close. There is supposed to be more north of that on the far end of the heartbreak bridge. About equidistant as the bridge but to the east of you there are some near the hunter blind, and then more north of there by the pond....over those four spots you should have plenty, lol....

I'm sure you got it down pat now, but the rose hips are in a mostly red cup....I guess because rosehips are red-ish berries. The mushrooms tea is kind of tan-ish I guess....like the mushrooms kind of. They should have picked a more distinct color difference....like gray or green. However all those color choices are bad if you are red/green color blind like my dad, lol....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thrasador said:

That blows about the mushrooms....normally I find them in three's on stumps. It's weird to have one....did you already make a mushroom tea earlier? I didn't go back and re-read your prior days. I suppose I could....

I'm sure you can find more.....the closest ones are due north of you by a bear cave....they are very close. There is supposed to be more north of that on the far end of the heartbreak bridge. About equidistant as the bridge but to the east of you there are some near the hunter blind, and then more north of there by the pond....over those four spots you should have plenty, lol....

I'm sure you got it down pat now, but the rose hips are in a mostly red cup....I guess because rosehips are red-ish berries. The mushrooms tea is kind of tan-ish I guess....like the mushrooms kind of. They should have picked a more distinct color difference....like gray or green. However all those color choices are bad if you are red/green color blind like my dad, lol....

Thanks for the directions. I picked up that one mushroom from a stump with some more, but stopped due to freezing issues, thinking that I would not need mushrooms for the time being. I somehow mixed them up with Rose Hips. Now I remember that it was the mushrooms which were more important, because in TLD food poisoning is - at least in my eyes - more dangerous than a twisted ankle or wrist. Well, the damage is done. I have never actually NOT treated food poisoning in the game, so I have no idea what happens and how it happens. My next stop would have been Rural Crossroads again, and I know there is a tree stump with mushrooms on the way right by the roadside. But it is evening now, and I don't know if I will lose further condition when sleeping. If so, I might be so low the next morning that I can't take any more freezing damage... which in turn would make travel really difficult. Or will the condition loss stop at some point? I still have enough food with me to stay a couple of days and recover. Hmmm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Thanks for the directions. I picked up that one mushroom from a stump with some more, but stopped due to freezing issues, thinking that I would not need mushrooms for the time being. I somehow mixed them up with Rose Hips. Now I remember that it was the mushrooms which were more important, because in TLD food poisoning is - at least in my eyes - more dangerous than a twisted ankle or wrist. Well, the damage is done. I have never actually NOT treated food poisoning in the game, so I have no idea what happens and how it happens. My next stop would have been Rural Crossroads again, and I know there is a tree stump with mushrooms on the way right by the roadside. But it is evening now, and I don't know if I will lose further condition when sleeping. If so, I might be so low the next morning that I can't take any more freezing damage... which in turn would make travel really difficult. Or will the condition loss stop at some point? I still have enough food with me to stay a couple of days and recover. Hmmm...

I think without treatment it does eventually go away on it's own...but I think it might prevent you from healing while sleeping until it goes away or you treat it....

I honestly would just run north twords the bear cave and grab some (assuming the bear isn't there). The ones north of your position are very close....you shouldn't be outside for more than an hour or two if you sprint there and back....

From the Wiki....

Food poisoning can also be cured without antibiotics. In this case the condition will drop about 10% per hour during sleep until it reaches 15%. Further sleeping will eventually end the food poisoning. The condition of the player will still need to be restored after this.

It is important to remain warm, hydrated and fed while recovering from the illness to prevent further loss of condition. Sleeping should occur in short intervals to notice problems early. Sleeping in a bed inside a building is highly recommended. Physical activities should be reduced to a minimum.

You probably would have been better off running to get mushrooms BEFORE sleeping. Sounds like your condition may be stuck at 15% for a while....

Edited by Thrasador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2017 at 0:51 PM, Thrasador said:

Food poisoning can also be cured without antibiotics. In this case the condition will drop about 10% per hour during sleep until it reaches 15%. Further sleeping will eventually end the food poisoning. The condition of the player will still need to be restored after this.

It's a 85% loss from wherever you start.  If you start at 100%, without losing condition to other causes, you stop at 15%.  AFAIK you can't regain condition until food poisoning is cured.  A stim works though, for an instant 15% bump in your current condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now