Black screen and crashes my PC

niklanidja

35 minutes ago, niklanidja said:

I fixed it, tried every single resolution and only 1280x1024 wont crash, thanks guys 

Wow good job man! So in the end it seems it was at least somewhat graphics related....

Did Hinterland ever get back to you to tell you to try this, or did you inevitably just figure that out on your own?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, niklanidja said:

I fixed it, tried every single resolution and only 1280x1024 wont crash, thanks guys 

What are you using for a monitor? A TV? An LCD/LED computer monitor?

What cable are you using to connect to the monitor/TV? Dvi? HDMI?

What were you trying to run it in before(when it was crashing), 1080p? Or 4K?

2 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Wow good job man! So in the end it seems it was at least somewhat graphics related....

Did Hinterland ever get back to you to tell you to try this, or did you inevitably just figure that out on your own?

On my own, i use benq xl2411 144hz its 1080p  DVI since i want 144hz i was trying to run in 1080p

21 minutes ago, niklanidja said:

On my own, i use benq xl2411 144hz its 1080p  DVI since i want 144hz i was trying to run in 1080p

You are using a newer DVI-D dual link cable then right, and not some old DVI connector you had lying around the house then right?

Q. What does single link or dual link mean?
A. DVI-D and DVI-I connectors come in single link and dual link formats.  Dual link DVI has more pins and allows for a higher resolution and faster refresh rates. Single link can display up to 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz and dual link can display up to 3840x2400 @ 41 Hz.

I read the threads about this particular model screen and this refresh issue. It says if you have the right cable, a dual link DVI-D cable, there are stll two different DVI ports on the back of the monitor and they are labeled in a way that makes it confusing for a lot of people. Try the other port and see if it supports higher resolutions....even if you think it might be the "wrong one." 

Here check out this reddit thread, and hit "view more comments(if you have to)" and go way to the bottom, the guy in the thread tried the other port....which I think was labled DVI-I.....which you would think is the wrong port....and then higher resolutions at higher refresh rates worked....

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3j7iqu/benq_xl2411z_problem_with_getting_120144hz/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_list

19 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I read the threads about this particular model screen and this refresh issue. It says if you have the right cable, a dual link DVI-D cable, there are stll two different DVI ports on the back of the monitor and they are labeled in a way that makes it confusing for a lot of people. Try the other port and see if it supports higher resolutions....even if you think it might be the "wrong one." 

Here check out this reddit thread, and hit "view more comments(if you have to)" and go way to the bottom, the guy in the thread tried the other port....which I think was labled DVI-I.....which you would think is the wrong port....and then higher resolutions at higher refresh rates worked....

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3j7iqu/benq_xl2411z_problem_with_getting_120144hz/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_list

Nvm, that was a benq xl2411z.....wow what a peculiar naming convention....

Well, that's all I got. I didn't realize resolutions, refresh rates, and DVI connections had gotten so damned complicated over the last 10 years....

I believe the last time I built a PC we only had VGA and ONE type of DVI.....simply called DVI.

We didn't have displayport technology or HDMI, and it seems like there's now old HDMI ports and new ones that are better....

Just do you know, this "new" displayport technology also supports high resolutions and refresh rates....at least higher than HDMI, and there are supposed to be THREE displayports on your GTX 980 TI card....

And one HDMI port....

Here I found this article from March of 2017, it does a great job of explaining all the different ports out now.

Technically IF the NVIDIA GTX 980 TI has the NEWEST displayport technology on the card, then it's even better than dual link DVI, actually even the old displayport technology is on par with 1080p at 144hz. Also, like I said there should be three displayports on that model card, so even if one is malfunctioning, there are still two more ports....

At the very end of the article it also says this:

"No matter what connection you choose, you'll want to ensure that you go into your monitor's settings (OSD) to set it to DP 1.2 or HDMI 2 and into your GPUs settings to configure the faster refresh rate."

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/1404476/hdmi-vs-displayport-vs-dvi-vs-vga-every-connection-explained

That model benq monitor doesn't have displayport does it?

If so, that blows....they make nice monitors though, huh? I never heard of them before today....

That monitor allegedly came out in 2016....I don't understand why the heck it doesn't have a displayport...input...

The best similarly priced monitor with a displayport input that I could find was an MSI one on Newegg. However it had freesync for AMD cards instead of G-sync for NVIDIA cards. Pretty sure freesync simply is not utilized if you don't have a freesync AMD graphics card.

The cheapest G-sync monitor on NewEgg was like 350 bucks...wozers!

The only reason I mentioned it is because 144hz is a pretty damn high refresh rate, it says when games experience a frame rate dip below the refresh rate, the slowdowns and stuttering can get pretty bad.....that's why Freesync for AMD and G-sync for NVIDIA were invented in the first place....

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16824475002

On 8/29/2017 at 7:37 PM, niklanidja said:

Only thing that seems to work is windowed mode but not for more than 10-15 minutes, crashes afterwards. Too bad i really wanted to finish this game 

As it turns out, if @JAFO or I were more knowledgeable about refresh rates and v-sync this post that you made weeks ago about your problem being partially solved by using windowed mode, should have been a clue....

Apparently when you run a game in windowed mode, Windows forces on old school v-sync and triple buffering....which helps with differences between your monitor's refresh rate and the game's current FPS....

I did NOT know that until I read the post below....

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/577522-does-windows-10-force-triple-buffering-in-windowed-mode/

Running the game in windowed mode uses something like v-sync and triple buffering through Windows Desktop Window Manager (DWM).

Somehow this caused an improvement and allowed you to play longer because there was something bad happening with trying to run the game at the 144hz refresh rate of your monitor....at various resolutions that I guess the game/your monitor/your graphics card didn't like.....

Even if you are using the correct dual signal DVI cable, I am wondering if you can run the game at higher resolution with a lower monitor refresh rate, with or without using an FPS limiter.....like at 60FPS. There could be some issue between having such a high refresh rate of 144hz and then running the game at very low or very high frames per second....

Using v-sync and triple buffering somehow plays a part too....

3 hours ago, Thrasador said:

You are using a newer DVI-D dual link cable then right, and not some old DVI connector you had lying around the house then right?

Q. What does single link or dual link mean?
A. DVI-D and DVI-I connectors come in single link and dual link formats.  Dual link DVI has more pins and allows for a higher resolution and faster refresh rates. Single link can display up to 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz and dual link can display up to 3840x2400 @ 41 Hz.

Im using the one that came with this monitor, and this is the only game that was causing any issues like i said, all good now

6 minutes ago, niklanidja said:

Im using the one that came with this monitor, and this is the only game that was causing any issues like i said, all good now

I understand you fixed it lol, but you are stuck at one particular resolution. This is still a mystery for my brain....like this doesn't make sense lol....

Are you still running it in windowed mode, or can you run it full screen now?

4 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Even if you are using the correct dual signal DVI cable, I am wondering if you can run the game at higher resolution with a lower monitor refresh rate, with or without using an FPS limiter.....like at 60FPS. There could be some issue between having such a high refresh rate of 144hz and then running the game at very low or very high frames per second....

That sounds like an experiment worth trying, to my mind.

15 hours ago, Thrasador said:

I understand you fixed it lol, but you are stuck at one particular resolution. This is still a mystery for my brain....like this doesn't make sense lol....

Are you still running it in windowed mode, or can you run it full screen now?

Fullscreen 

16 hours ago, JAFO said:

Looks like I have some more reading to do.. just like @Thrasador, I'm out of touch with some of the latest developments in display technology. Thanks for the links, Thras!

Your welcome m8....yeah I was surprised too, I didn't realize how much had happened regarding display technology, and v-sync improvements....

That one article I linked that explains the different display technology benefits and capabilities was the most useful/interesting in my opinion....

You have to set a custom resolution with GeForce drivers to go above 60Hz with Dual-link DVI.

Go into the NV control panel, "change resolution" (in the left-side menu), "customize", "create custom resolution", and change to your target refresh rate (don't cchange any timings, etc.). If this gets to the root of your issue, I don't know but without doing this, you won't get above 60Hz.

Archived