Campfire decay

Maquard

While this was an issue when you could not reuse your old campfires.

I think that now that you can reuse old campfires this is no longer a pressing issue. Also if you created a campfire (in RL) in a cave or covered area you can see where that campfire was for potentially years. Even in the open you can still see where a campfire was for some time afterwards. 

The only time I think it even remotely becomes an issue is when the fire was made on the ice...

Interesting idea... While what PleXD said is true, in my experience, long lasting interloper games will have regular hunting grounds and wood harvesting grounds that slowly get messier due to more and more campfires that build up over time. Due to this, I think that outdoor campfires should slowly decay due to weather (wind and snow) while indoor campfires should remain (potentially) forever.

This problem could also be solved by allowing the player to clean up/harvest campfires in exchange for more charcoal and the loss of ten minutes. This action could replace the "take charcoal" button once the charcoal has been harvested or it could replace the "take charcoal" button in campfires altogether.

That is not a bad idea about harvesting the campfire. With the charcoal you maybe have a chance of obtaining some wood/coal also. This would be good for those campfires that you made and the wind picked up and blew them out. I have sometimes put 2-3 hours of wood/coal on a fire only to have the wind pick up 20 seconds later and blow it out... all that wood wasted.

• 3 months later...

Let us remove them, they become a total eyesore.  I don't care if I get charcoal or nothing at all.  I just want to get rid of them, as they ruin the wilderness experience after a while.  I am willing to spend time dismantling it and get nothing out of it.  Please @Hinterland let us dismantle fires and ruined snow shelters.  EDIT--  I was told the snow shelters actually do eventually go away.

+1 for harvesting campfires. Once you've taken the charcoal, assume everything of value has been stripped from the site and the wind carries the ashes away. That makes them consistent with carcasses. 

Also, I'd like to request a few new models/art assets for campfires. Stick fires should not have blocky hunks of wood making up their model. At some point when you have a 6+ hour fire it should move beyond just a larger flame and have a bulkier look to the fuelbase. Now that we're measuring charcoal amounts based on hours burned, we could also have maybe 2 more kinds of burned out fires. A small pile of charred twigs for a < 1hr fire, the default for everything else, except for perhaps 6+hr fires which get a slightly bulkier pile of coals around them. 

It's all polish type stuff, but it'd be nice to give campfires a little more love from the art department. 

3 minutes ago, LucidFugue said:

+1 for harvesting campfires. Once you've taken the charcoal, assume everything of value has been stripped from the site and the wind carries the ashes away. That makes them consistent with carcasses. 

Also, I'd like to request a few new models/art assets for campfires. Stick fires should not have blocky hunks of wood making up their model. At some point when you have a 6+ hour fire it should move beyond just a larger flame and have a bulkier look to the fuelbase. Now that we're measuring charcoal amounts based on hours burned, we could also have maybe 2 more kinds of burned out fires. A small pile of charred twigs for a < 1hr fire, the default for everything else, except for perhaps 6+hr fires which get a slightly bulkier pile of coals around them. 

It's all polish type stuff, but it'd be nice to give campfires a little more love from the art department. 

I don't know. I think it's the other way around.

A really long-burning fire gets much hotter and therefore tends to totally consume whatever fuel was there, leaving nothing much more than a pile of ashes. Shorter fires leave more of the fuel unburned because they die out through lack of heat before consuming everything - especially if you put large logs on it before it's really got going. But it depends how it's built and if/when/how much fuel is added during the burning time... but all this seems unnecessarily complicated for the game's purposes, maybe, and therefore probably not worth changing the art assets at all unless they totally overhaul fire-making mechanics? (which wouldn't be a bad thing)

A fire that's blown out by the wind is another matter - I definitely would like to see those be harvestable for unburned fuel as well as charcoal.

Oh and while we're (vaguely) on the subject, it's always slightly bothered me that you can pull wooden torches with your bare hands out of a 200° coal-fired furnace!

On the main point of this topic, though: it would be nice if campfires degraded and disappeared, and fairly quickly. I shouldn't think there'd be much visible evidence or useable remains of any campfires after a blizzard had blown through the area (except for those made inside caves?).

20 hours ago, Pillock said:

On the main point of this topic, though: it would be nice if campfires degraded and disappeared, and fairly quickly. I shouldn't think there'd be much visible evidence or useable remains of any campfires after a blizzard had blown through the area (except for those made inside caves?).

So, where I like to go ice fishing, there's one spot on shore that is slowly becoming a fire pit due to years of fires being burnt there. Weather or no, you can tell that it's a fire pit. There's a depression in the ground, the snow is melted and frozen in a bowl shape and there's charcoal and ash around. Even after snow the site is still very obvious. Blizzards don't do much to cover the fire pit since the wind will keep lots of snow from accumulating. Overhanging trees also block a lot of the snow coming down on calm days. Conversely, build a fire anywhere else on the lake and it will have vanished within a week or two if there's any snow or strong winds. 

TL;DR: Either a slow decay over time/after harvesting for charcoal or removal after a blizzard both make sense to me ;) 

7 hours ago, cekivi said:

TL;DR: Either a slow decay over time/after harvesting for charcoal or removal after a blizzard both make sense to me ;) 

Or, you could just be a good person and choose to remove the debris, IE burying the remains of a campfire.  I just feel there should be an option to remove such things as campfires and snow shelters.  Hopefully Hinterland will see fit to allow you to remove these environmental eyesores.  I would hate to see them anger the Forest Talkers.

Archived