Ruruwawa

29 days in my sandbox, still no Aurora. Can I fix it?

Looks like other people are seeing the Aurora in their sandbox, but I'm not.  I started this Pilgrim sandbox about a week ago, for the cartography achievo.  I've been in every zone, 53% explored atm.  What's the solution?

1. Need to play more days?  (Ie no aurora before day 50, day 100?)
  2. Need to start over?  (Ie no aurora if you started the sandbox before update X?)
  3. Move to a specific zone?  (I.e., Aurora is only in ML / FM / BB?)
  4. Aurora appear on some, but not all, experience modes?
  5. Some special voodoo?  Secret handshake?  Slip the maître d' a 20?

Any tips?  Thanks

Thanks Ross.  May I ask which experience mode you are playing?  I just found the thread below today, and most who are seeing aurora AND mention their experience mode seem to be playing Interloper.

Edited by Ruruwawa

I've had the aurora near nightly in both my Pilgrim and Voyageur games.  It's to the point where I assume the aurora will happen rather than not.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Prestermatt said:

I've had the aurora near nightly in both my Pilgrim and Voyageur games.  It's to the point where I assume the aurora will happen rather than not.

Good to know, thanks!

EDIT:  Mind if I ask which zones you have seen the aurora in?

Edited by Ruruwawa

3 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Good to know, thanks!

EDIT:  Mind if I ask which zones you have seen the aurora in?

All of them

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

All of them

Thanks.  I started a new sandbox in DP for the 3 day fire achievement.  5 days, still no aurora, so I thought maybe DP didn't have em.  I'll keep watching for it.

EDIT:  I guess I should mention my build & rig.  v1.12 (32511) Release, running PC/Windows.  Sysinfo: Win 10 64 bit, i5-7600K, GTX 1060 6GB, 16gb RAM

Edited by Ruruwawa

18 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

so I thought maybe DP didn't have em.

DP definitely has them.  That's where I started my Voyageur run.

• Upvote 1

I'm on the same boat as you @Ruruwawa

Day 28 in Voyager, first 20 days in DP and the next week in CH and no Aurora yet (that I had noticed, I've spent most of my nigths in areas where I should hear some flickering at least). 

The thing is that I started this game with the Steam Patch 7, which seems to be the one that fixed it for some people so I'm quite puzzled. 

• Upvote 1

@Ohbal I wonder if playstyle has some effect on whether the Aurora appear?  I saw them for the first time yesterday in a fresh Interloper in PV.  Since you start interloper with full rest I was out and about well into the night, and headed inside about midnight.  As soon as I went inside, I saw Aurora through the windows.  And, sure enough, they were there when I went back outside.

I tried faking exactly this in my DP play, going to sleep late afternoon and getting up at midnight -- but no Aurora.  But I'm probably wrong about the trigger.  Maybe the Aurora only happen if you are inside a place that has windows to show the Aurora when it starts! :D    (I was sleeping in a mine in my DP testing.)

5 hours ago, Ohbal said:

The thing is that I started this game with the Steam Patch 7, which seems to be the one that fixed it for some people so I'm quite puzzled. 

I'm pretty sure (although not 100% because we can't see the start date for a sandbox) that my Pilgrim run was also started in Update 7.

Edited by Ruruwawa

For the record I play on Voyageur.

In my current near 50 day run I started in TWM...but by day 5 I was in ML where I got my first Aurora.

I also had Aurora when I was at the forge in the Muskeg.

I had Aurora when I visited the wreckage at the base of the ravine.

And the next two nights I had them in Coastal Highway.

It's possible you started the sandbox before they fixed the issue with the Aurora not playing in Sandbox properly.

I'm honestly not sure why you're having aurora issues.

• Upvote 1

Thanks @RossBondReturns -- good data points.

I tested with two brand new sandboxes yesterday.  Both pilgrim, DP-only.   I played one to day 7, another to day 10 -- no Aurora on either.   Maybe my mapping achievement run really did start before update 7, and that explains no aurora for that particular sandbox.  But it seems like something additional is affecting whether they appear on new sandboxes.

Edited by Ruruwawa
typo

It wouldn't hurt to add Auroras to the stat screen. The same way as "blizzards"... that way we could know for sure if there is no aurora, or if we are just missing it :D 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ohbal said:

It wouldn't hurt to add Auroras to the stat screen. The same way as "blizzards"... that way we could know for sure if there is no aurora, or if we are just missing it :D 

ooh great suggestion!

50 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Thanks @RossBondReturns -- good data points.

I tested with two brand new sandboxes yesterday.  Both pilgrim, DP-only.   I played one to day 7, another to day 10 -- no Aurora on either.   Maybe my mapping achievement run really did start before update 7, and that explains no aurora for that particular sandbox.  But it seems like something additional is affecting whether they appear on new sandboxes.

Maybe you're just missing them?  I'm sure you've probably done lots of testing in different locations and stuff, but just in case...

In some locations, there's not much to go on besides the greenish tint to the windows.  But even when I'm sleeping all night I can usually hear the telltale buzzing/scratching sound that indicates an aurora is happening while the time is passing.  Have you noticed that at all?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Prestermatt said:

Maybe you're just missing them?  I'm sure you've probably done lots of testing in different locations and stuff, but just in case...

In some locations, there's not much to go on besides the greenish tint to the windows.  But even when I'm sleeping all night I can usually hear the telltale buzzing/scratching sound that indicates an aurora is happening while the time is passing.  Have you noticed that at all?

During my DP tests, no buzzing.  (I've experienced the Aurora many times in story mode, so I know what to listed for.)  When I haven't been outside at night, I've specifically been listening (headphones, sound cranked up) for the buzzing -- even while sleeping.

7 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

During my DP tests, no buzzing.  (I've experienced the Aurora many times in story mode, so I know what to listed for.)  When I haven't been outside at night, I've specifically been listening (headphones, sound cranked up) for the buzzing -- even while sleeping.

Ok.  That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure.

Have you tried anything drastic like uninstalling/reinstalling the game?  I don't know how that would affect saves, journals, badges, etc., but it's helped me before in other games.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Prestermatt said:

Ok.  That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure.

Have you tried anything drastic like uninstalling/reinstalling the game?  I don't know how that would affect saves, journals, badges, etc., but it's helped me before in other games.

Not yet.  The thing is, I get Aurora in my story playthroughs, and in my Interloper sandbox started yesterday.  Based on that I believe my PC and game installation should be fine -- although I'll certainly do it if I run out of other things to try.  Just trying to figure out if there's some more subtle playstyle reason that the causes the aurora to appear for folks who follow that playstyle, but not for other people who don't.

• Upvote 1

So I just started a new sandbox...I don't usually have 2 going concurrently.

Random Start per usual.

Middle of the day start.

I'm only on my tail end of my  3rd day so in a few hours Day 4 will start and thus night 4.

Nights 2 and 3 both had Aurora.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

So I just started a new sandbox...I don't usually have 2 going concurrently.

Random Start per usual.

Middle of the day start.

I'm only on my tail end of my  3rd day so in a few hours Day 4 will start and thus night 4.

Nights 2 and 3 both had Aurora.

Thanks.  Curious, are you routinely doing stuff outside during the nights?  When do you normally sleep?

I'm well into day 30-something on my Voyageur game (started in 1.11, still playing now) with an Aurora every night weather permits on two different games. One I play with more outdoor time and traveling at night (never leaving ML), the other I tend to spend the nights crafting, harvesting, repairing, and reading indoors and traveling by day (to other maps, as well). The outdoor one just recently died to an Aurora wolf, so I started a new Voyageur game (1.12) which has already had an Aurora on the first night.

I've seen the Aurora in ML, CH, the transition zone between them, DP, and the Broken Highway. Probably also in the mine zones, but it's hard to tell when there are no fixtures or windows. So as far as I know, this is everywhere, regardless of play style or character (my most recent game is with the male, the others, female). I wonder why you're not ever getting them? And why I'm always getting them? Can I give you some of mine? :P

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, WanderingPalm said:

Can I give you some of mine? :P

Thanks for the info.  I wish you could give me some.  Tell you what, if I figure out the magic I'll give you the secret of suppressing auroras :D

• Upvote 1