Cray

TIL: Gun racks are functional!

Recommended Posts

Just now, omoon66 said:

Ah, ok. Thanks for the help. If it works, that would be awesome 

Yes, hopefully it works on console too....or the PC players have a slight unfair advantage of being able to eat ruined cook-able food after getting cooking to lv5.

Luckily I had only disappeared about three cans of zero condition condensed milk before someone mentioned this trick to me, lol. I wish I had just thrown them on the ground somewhere....but I hate clutter so I put them in a cabinet. (If you put something ruined with a red X through it inside any container it vanishes)

I was still slightly aggravated about the milk though....lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thrasador said:

Yes, hopefully it works on console too....or the PC players have a slight unfair advantage of being able to eat ruined cook-able food after getting cooking to lv5.

Luckily I had only disappeared about three cans of zero condition condensed milk before someone mentioned this trick to me, lol. I wish I had just thrown them on the ground somewhere....but I hate clutter so I put them in a cabinet. (If you put something ruined with a red X through it inside any container it vanishes)

I was still slightly aggravated about the milk though....lol.

Yeah I know, that milk is one of the best foods you can find

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, omoon66 said:

Yeah I know, that milk is one of the best foods you can find

But it degrades really fast (along with peanut butter) which doesn't really make sense, but the longer you survive the greater the odds of milk and peanut butter you finding out in the open are ruined already.

Which is super annoying in general.....

So you are like, "YAY, Milk!!! Awwwwhhh not AGAIN!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2017 at 7:04 AM, Mroz4k said:

I hope you know that stick and stones respawn after a while in game, so putting them down wont mean they stay down. Not sure about coal, since it techinically also is renewable and respawns, but only in mines... but yea, something tells me your nice little path of stones and charcoal will soon be just a path of charcoal once the stones despawn. Unless the human-picked up stones and then again placed stones never despawn, which would be a good thing to know - so if your stones dont despawn after several days of playing, let us know. Most items dont despawn but a few do, I think, stick and stones and bark come to mind.

The charcoal they used for their path is the kind you get out of burned out fires for map making. So while sort of renewable, it's not the spawning kind of coal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SweetNightmare said:

The charcoal they used for their path is the kind you get out of burned out fires for map making. So while sort of renewable, it's not the spawning kind of coal.

Well, I am quite well aware of what charcoal is, but thanks for the answer anyways.
I know it is renewable, and that it doesnt dissapear - that is why I implied that out of all the items they used for the "road", the charcoal will be the only thing that is left in the end.
I am not so sure if Coal despawns if thrown outside - because while being renewable, it is only found in caves and "outdoor caves", it is not an item which spawns "outside" regularly. So, if I am correct in my assumption, the coal shouldnt dissapear either.

But maybe I am wrong altogether and "player-picked up items" never despawn, in which case the sticks and stones never dissapeared. But somehow I doubt that, because that would mean all the stones ever picked up and thrown at rabbit would remain in the game, and in time would clatter up the game quite a bit, if one hunts rabbits in specific spot regularly and often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Well, I am quite well aware of what charcoal is, but thanks for the answer anyways.
I know it is renewable, and that it doesnt dissapear - that is why I implied that out of all the items they used for the "road", the charcoal will be the only thing that is left in the end.
I am not so sure if Coal despawns if thrown outside - because while being renewable, it is only found in caves and "outdoor caves", it is not an item which spawns "outside" regularly. So, if I am correct in my assumption, the coal shouldnt dissapear either.

But maybe I am wrong altogether and "player-picked up items" never despawn, in which case the sticks and stones never dissapeared. But somehow I doubt that, because that would mean all the stones ever picked up and thrown at rabbit would remain in the game, and in time would clatter up the game quite a bit, if one hunts rabbits in specific spot regularly and often.

Sorry for the confusion then; I assumed you were talking about coal since you implied that it spawned inside of mines, but all I see are charcoal and stones... Anyways, sorry about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I strongly suspect that player-dropped items do not despawn. I base this on the many cattail heads still in my world after 300+ days, plus I've not noticed stones or sticks that I've dropped outside disappear yet. I could be wrong but it feels likely to me. Might mean that a sandbox could suffer lag from dropped items but I've not detected any so far. If they do despawn it isn't for hundreds of days. Perhaps this doesn't apply for thrown stones but again I'm not sure.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SweetNightmare said:

Sorry for the confusion then; I assumed you were talking about coal since you implied that it spawned inside of mines, but all I see are charcoal and stones... Anyways, sorry about that!

Nah, I am sorry, I had a pretty bad day yesterday and I was rude for no good reason. 

 

5 hours ago, Cray said:

I strongly suspect that player-dropped items do not despawn. I base this on the many cattail heads still in my world after 300+ days, plus I've not noticed stones or sticks that I've dropped outside disappear yet. I could be wrong but it feels likely to me. Might mean that a sandbox could suffer lag from dropped items but I've not detected any so far. If they do despawn it isn't for hundreds of days. Perhaps this doesn't apply for thrown stones but again I'm not sure.

That is strange as I am pretty sure I had items dissapear on me before. 
Another thing I thought of might be the case - the items spawn only on a specific points of map - for example, the sticks will only spawn in forested areas (obviously), but not for example on an open field or train tracks in from of Camp Office. I wonder, if the sticks dropped outside of the spawn areas are safe, but if dropped inside of the forest will eventually be re-written by the other items. This would make some sense as well.
But if its player picked up items dont ever despawn, it may be worth a note to pick up everything everywhere and just drop it there once again, to create supplies as the game eventually goes on. Should definitedly be worth it on the harder modes.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes and they need to add more gun racks to main buildings.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nicko said:

yes and they need to add more gun racks to main buildings.

Seconded!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2017 at 0:32 PM, godhelpme89 said:

I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work.

Finally figured it out. Didn't realize you had to drop the item first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2017 at 6:31 AM, Mroz4k said:

That is strange as I am pretty sure I had items dissapear on me before. 
Another thing I thought of might be the case - the items spawn only on a specific points of map - for example, the sticks will only spawn in forested areas (obviously), but not for example on an open field or train tracks in from of Camp Office. I wonder, if the sticks dropped outside of the spawn areas are safe, but if dropped inside of the forest will eventually be re-written by the other items. This would make some sense as well.
But if its player picked up items dont ever despawn, it may be worth a note to pick up everything everywhere and just drop it there once again, to create supplies as the game eventually goes on. Should definitedly be worth it on the harder modes.

I'm pretty sure everything you pick and drop will stay there forever. 

I have been making my coal stocks inside all game mines since I started playing. Everytime I go through them I grab all the coal, and drop it right before heading out, right at the door. I never had any loot pile dissapearing on me before. 

I also stock non-loading caves with sticks  in case I ever need to use them as shelter in bad conditions. 

 

Edited by Ohbal
quoting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ohbal said:

I'm pretty sure everything you pick and drop will stay there forever. 

I have been making my coal stocks inside all game mines since I started playing. Everytime I go through them I grab all the coal, and drop it right before heading out, right at the door. I never had any loot pile dissapearing on me before. 

I also stock non-loading caves with sticks  in case I ever need to use them as shelter in bad conditions.

You had me confused in that quote for a moment :D
Still, that is strange, as I most definitedly had items dissapear on me before. But I admit my experience goes way back into previous versions, so there may have been changes in this, and also, some of my games would go throughout patches and those always seemed to have influenced games a bit, for example by regrowing the plants ingame.
I will take your word for it then :D, but I will be testing this myself in time once I get a PC capable of running Wintermute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't quite know what I did for that quote to appear that way... I guess cooking and posting are not compatible with each other :D 

FWIW, I've been playing for two years now, although I don't remember what was the build when I got the game. I was able to keep my player alive right until the last patch before release. Of course can't guarantee that the whole TLD playable area is free of bugs when it comes to things dissappearing, but at least in my 200+ hours, I don't recall losing sticks or coal due to de-spawing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now