TIL: Gun racks are functional!

Cray

I had two rifles taking up valuable storage space in Trapper's Cabin, and was thinking about breaking up the gun rack for wood... it would be great if I could put the gun back on the rack, I thought to myself.

And what do you know, you can! Just try placing it as you normally would and it snaps into position. I can't explain why but this makes me happy. Lovely little detail.

20170822024947_1.jpg

4 hours ago, Cray said:

I had two rifles taking up valuable storage space in Trapper's Cabin, and was thinking about breaking up the gun rack for wood... it would be great if I could put the gun back on the rack, I thought to myself.

And what do you know, you can! Just try placing it as you normally would and it snaps into position. I can't explain why but this makes me happy. Lovely little detail.

20170822024947_1.jpg

You sort kind of like how i do. Maybe these type of games bring out hidden OCD .

Haha, yeah cabin fever all the way! I waste far too much time rearranging things while waiting for bad weather to pass. This is what over 250 days at Trapper's gets you. But sometimes you learn things purely out of boredom. And yes, I'm on the hibernation diet while I stockpile resources right now. Here's a shot of outside since I learned that ruined meat can still be cooked hundreds of days later - 64kg of deer and bear meat that will not go to waste! They'll be a hell of a feast if I make it to 500. 

I even made a pretty little path from all the stones and charcoal. 

20170824011029_1.jpg

8 hours ago, Larkid said:

Your level of OCD hoarding puts my attempts at organization of the Camp Office to shame.

I mean, you even appear to have the rose hips arranged in neat little grids.   Cabin fever, mate!

I can't find the rose hips in his picture....

I zoomed in, I believe what you are referring to as rose hips, are actually flares....

Since the pic is so grainy, for some reason from far away the flares look like rows of little red balls....

It's still meticulously tidy....

On 24. 8. 2017 at 2:18 AM, Cray said:

I even made a pretty little path from all the stones and charcoal. 

I hope you know that stick and stones respawn after a while in game, so putting them down wont mean they stay down. Not sure about coal, since it techinically also is renewable and respawns, but only in mines... but yea, something tells me your nice little path of stones and charcoal will soon be just a path of charcoal once the stones despawn. Unless the human-picked up stones and then again placed stones never despawn, which would be a good thing to know - so if your stones dont despawn after several days of playing, let us know. Most items dont despawn but a few do, I think, stick and stones and bark come to mind.

Yeah the stones have stayed for a long time so far, so I suspect that if you drop them rather than throwing them they remain. Not sure about the thrown ones either to be honest. The only reason I did it was because I ended up with piles of charcoal and stones that I didn't really need and they weren't disappearing. Similar issue with tinder since I levelled up and don't need it any more.

Potentially you could use them to mark out paths to follow through the fog. I've already done that at a fishing hut to point the way back in case I get stuck in fog or a blizzard and it seems to have worked. 

I tried using the gun rack in the lodge in broken railroad (story mode) but it did not work. It just kept wanting to put the rifle deep inside the chimney. 

Strange, I can only confirm it for Trapper's, I haven't tested anywhere else.

On 8/28/2017 at 10:32 AM, godhelpme89 said:

I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work.

Hm, that's odd. What controller are you using? 

Are you able to select any of the items you've dropped on the ground? When you select an item, it should turn red or green, similar to when you are trying to place a new campfire.

On 8/23/2017 at 8:18 PM, Cray said:

Here's a shot of outside since I learned that ruined meat can still be cooked hundreds of days later - 64kg of deer and bear meat that will not go to waste! They'll be a hell of a feast if I make it to 500. 

You can cooked ruined meat?

16 minutes ago, omoon66 said:

You can cooked ruined meat?

I guess....

You can cook ruined processed food too....if it is normally cook-able.

The hard part is eating it.

It won't let you eat it the normal way....there is no eat button.

After cooking lv5 you can't get sick from rotten stuff you cook.

So you drop it on the ground, then pick it up to inspect it, then hit the space bar and you eat it....unless they patched it and didn't tell me....

Just don't put ruined stuff in a container, it will disappear....

16 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I guess....

You can cook ruined processed food too....if it is normally cook-able.

The hard part is eating it.

It won't let you eat it the normal way....there is no eat button.

After cooking lv5 you can't get sick from rotten stuff you cook.

So you drop it on the ground, then pick it up to inspect it, then hit the space bar and you eat it....unless they patched it and didn't tell me....

Just don't put ruined stuff in a container, it will disappear....

I'll try it, I'm on console so it may not be the same for you. I'll get back to you when I try

3 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

X is the normal eat button I thought. The normal button doesn't work when it's ruined. You have to try a different button

I'm looking at a candy bar right now, it has, take it A eat it X, and leave it B (Xbox btw)

29 minutes ago, omoon66 said:

I'm looking at a candy bar right now, it has, take it A eat it X, and leave it B (Xbox btw)

Yes, I understand that. When the food is ruined and has a big red X through it, there will be no "eat it X" because you can't eat ruined food.

With a keyboard you get past this by hitting space bar.

Since you don't have a space bar, I was informing you that the space bar ALSO opens the radial menu on PC. So I was telling you to try the radial button on your controller, which is left bumper on my PS4 controller on Steam.

If that doesn't work, I guess you could try all the buttons....but you may just not be able to eat ruined food on console.

Just now, Thrasador said:

Yes, I understand that. When the food is ruined and has a big red X through it, there will be no "eat it X" because you can't eat ruined food.

With a keyboard you get past this by hitting space bar.

Since you don't have a space bar, I was informing you that the space bar ALSO opens the radial menu on PC. So I was telling you to try the radial button on your controller, which is left bumper on my PS4 controller on Steam.

If that doesn't work, I guess you could try all the buttons....but you may just not be able to eat ruined food on console.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the help. If it works, that would be awesome 

Archived