Stormwolf1O1

Fire Master Badge?

1 hour ago, Carbon said:

Then it's the intention you take issue with? You're fine with my spamming some fires in a game where my motivation is true, honest survival, but if I start a game with the intention of spamming fires, it's cheating? Sounds a little 'thought-crime'~ish. :o

Correct, and how exactly am I not adhering to this?

It's a game mate, not a survival situation.

Yes, to each their own so let's not rush to judgement. :)

Not rushing to judgment.

But to clarify I play the game as if it IS a survival situation- within Hinterland's set up ideas and storytelling within the quiet apocalypse. To me there's no point in playing a survival game unless you're trying to survive. And playing it as a survival situation.

Within this rule set I don't set up say 42 fires to spell out S.O.S. or try and make a massive smoke cloud because we are essentially the only person left based on Hinterlands quiet apocalypse story line.

I guess if you do not that's fine and your choice...but for the reasons above I'm not fine with the spamming of fires with the "right motivation". As since we're the only one left...chopping up all that wood...and making all those fires....and burning all those calories is a waste to my survival expectancy within the Quiet Apocalypse.

Isn't the point of a survival game to well survive as long as possible?

So in Ava's game I think I practically earned all of my badges except the fire making one. MY goal was to survive as long as possible as that is what Hinterland challenges us to do. And while I was surviving as long as possible I earned the badges for use in future Survival Sandboxes, but I earned them naturally in my effort to survive.

I intend to do the same with the Fire Master badge...I hope to finish earning it in my current Sandbox...if it doesn't end unexpectedly.

Anyway...my final two cents, just wanted to clarify.

All the best in your survival sandboxes etc.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Let's agree to disagree, friends. No fightin' on my innocent question lol.

It isn't a question of agree or disagree, it's about allowing differences and not dictating how others should play the game nor what their attitude towards it should be by calling them cheaters when they don't conform to particular ideas. 

7 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Let's agree to disagree, friends. No fightin' on my innocent question lol.

That section of the thread looks totally different on my end. I believe I have chosen well. It's amazing, you remove like 2-4 people from the forums and all conflict miraculously disappears....

Screenshot_2017-08-23-06-44-00.png

• Upvote 1

Until you contribute to it yourself.

hy·poc·ri·sy
  1. the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

On 8/20/2017 at 9:21 PM, SnowWalker said:

How can you tell that? Do you just keep a very close eye on it? and the word 'would' in my post is supposed to be 'wouldn't'.

For a long time after it was introduced, the firestarter badge only tracked the very first fire you started in any given stove or fireplace or barrel, and individual campfires. It's a documented thing. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TROY said:

For a long time after it was introduced, the firestarter badge only tracked the very first fire you started in any given stove or fireplace or barrel, and individual campfires. It's a documented thing. 

Ouch....that sucks then. It looks like my fires in the story have been counting. I'm up from 11% to 18%....

Hey @TROY, did you ever get that motherboard battery installed?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Ouch....that sucks then. It looks like my fires in the story have been counting. I'm up from 11% to 18%....

Hey @TROY, did you ever get that motherboard battery installed?

Well, "sucks" is relative.  I had over half my total hours played before that badge was introduced. And I've waged a long campaign to get not only the requirement reduced, but the reward.  On top of trying to have the firestarting mechanic itself changed to accurately depict "starting a fire".  The requirements for this badge are grossly out of proportion to the rest of the badges. It's like a Medal of Honor and Purple Heart and two bronze stars rolled into one and stood in line with basic training marksmanship ribbons. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

I'm up from 33% to 42% since I made this thread. Progress!

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I'm up from 33% to 42% since I made this thread. Progress!

Good Job!

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2017 at 9:05 PM, RossBondReturns said:

I can tell you the Firestarter badge was there from when I started playing in early 2016.

You are absolutely correct, the badge was there then. However...   The badge and journal were not tracking fires properly for some time after it was introduced. The skill counted every fire you made towards its progression, but the badge and journal both only tracked the very first fire that you made in any given stove or barrel, as well as campfires, since at that time, those were still unique, and could not be re-used/re-lit.  I don't know when exactly that was corrected, but many folks didn't get credit for a great number of fires that they lit, and then there's those of us who had several hundred hours of play before the badge was introduced at all.  And frankly, when you compare the requirements for this badge with the requirements of all the other badges... it's just ludicrous. Granted, the reward for it is OP as *#@+.  Its like cub scout, cubscout, cubscout, tenderfoot, EAGLESCOUT!

• Upvote 1