Fire Master Badge?

Stormwolf1O1

5 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I remember I was once eating/drinking to fill my meters, and I stepped a bit to the left, and the Snow Walker badge came up and the noise went BLHsHdahG!!! and scared the crap outta me. :D

I know exactly what you're saying. Those skill winning sounds always freak me out too. I got mine in The Hunted 2 when I was at the end running after him on the ice toward his cave. I think I even have it recorded as well. Anyway, I'm running and the skill sound hits and I almost jumped right out of my skin....like I wasn't already freaked out enough as it was at that time. :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SnowWalker said:

I know exactly what you're saying. Those skill winning sounds always freak me out too. I got mine in The Hunted 2 when I was at the end running after him on the ice toward his cave. I think I even have it recorded as well. Anyway, I'm running and the skill sound hits and I almost jumped right out of my skin....like I wasn't already freaked out enough as it was at that time. :D

You were running after him at that point, though. It sounds like he should've been the one who was nervous!

26 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Yep, they are gone. You know, you'd think someone in Hinterland might have told me to forget 200 Days now since I've posted that it was my last one to get in this forum like a thousand times, lol.

5 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

You were running after him at that point, though. It sounds like he should've been the one who was nervous!

I know haha, but the adrenaline was still pumping you know? I had no idea at the time what was going to happen or if I was nearing the end of it.

15 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I know haha, but the adrenaline was still pumping you know? I had no idea at the time what was going to happen or if I was nearing the end of it.

That's weird....I don't seem to get a sound notification for skills or achievements....:/

35 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I remember I was once eating/drinking to fill my meters, and I stepped a bit to the left, and the Snow Walker badge came up and the noise went BLHsHdahG!!! and scared the crap outta me. :D

Nope, I just checked my video and it wasn't 'snow walker'. It was just the skill 'Firearm 2 Novice' for that challenge. You also can't hear the sound it made in my video since I had some music dubbed in instead, but I believe the skills make the same sound as the badges do. Anyway, I remember it freaked me out just the same, lol.

3 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

That's weird....I don't seem to get a sound notification for skills or achievements....:/

Not for achievements but for badges, and I think my skill update sound might only have had the same sound as badges because it was in the challenge 'The Hunted'. A special skill sound that only happens in that challenge. If you read my previous post you'll see that I found out that it was a skill for that challenge that freaked me out and not the 'snow walker' badge. I think I was in a sandbox at CH when I got 'snow walker' but I can't remember for sure. But yeah, there's a sound for when you get a badge, and it's always unexpected.

Probably the easiest way to get a decent amount of fires started fast is to start a Pilgrim game on Mystery lake, loot several locations like Camp Office, Trappers, Ranger station and most importantingly, the Dam, after which you get around 3 to 4 gasoline cans and several accelerants and lantern fuels. You might even gather storm lanterns and harvest them to get the lantern fuel out of them, too. If you are lucky, the gasoline cans will be nearly full (most of the time on Pilgrim they are almost full or at least half way filled) and this may give you a lot of free "quick-fires" to do. If we assume you got 4x 3 liter gasoline cans, you can start 10 fires with each very quickly - that is 40 fires made almost instantly (it takes 0,3l of fuel to accelerate a fire, that is 3 x 0,3 = 10, 10 x 4 = 40). Put into consideration the kerosene bottles and accelerants and you can get around 50 fires started pretty quickly, simply by making a short spawn-run through Mystery Lake. 
Desolation point should also be pretty good, I believe Rikken, whaling plant and coalmine all spawn the gasoline cans. Not sure about Coastal but I wouldnt really reccomend Pleasant Valley, most of the gasoline can spawns are very far apart, and I think the same goes for Coastal.

Another decent way is to start a Timberwolf mountain and climb it on Pilgrim, hoping for a hacksaw along the way - by opening the plane crates and harvesting the boxes, you can often get tons of lantern oil, storm lanterns and accelerants as well as matches, again should get you close to being able to make 50 fires fast.

After you wasted all your accelerated fire options, kill the survivor to save the fire built count for sure.

Ignoring the implication that I am either fibbing or being somehow deceptive, I didn't claim that those were immediate, consecutive or an unbroken string of days. Of course one must take some time to do other things; get the rifle from Trapper's and some ammo; there are 5 ~ 6 deer in the PV farmhouse area and rabbits that will keep you fed (aside from the quite abundant packaged food in Pilgrim), you will have fires going for water and viola! Certainly + ~10 days and it's done. You needn't worry about the state of your clothing (you are protected from wind and will always have fires burning) and there are no predators to deal with so aside from getting food and fuel, there is nothing else to do and in 50 days of 20 fires, it's done.

Remember I was not trying to 'survive' in the same sense as the game asks. I didn't care about anything except simply staying alive long enough to build the requisite fires. When you shift your overall focus, things can become quite narrow and highly efficient. Spawn in ML, go to Trapper's (if no rifle, head to the lookout), camp office, then on to the dam (again taking only needed items for the task at hand; we are on a mission here!), stop by the signal tower in PV (often needed loot there) then down to the farmhouse. Break down everything in there (tons of wood and one can always make the short hike to the barn for more) and 2~3 days into the game, you're on your way. Spending a day lighting fires requires surprisingly few calories, so food goes quite far.

I got my freerunner badge in a similar manner; new sandbox, stay alive just to run everywhere, sometimes in a circle around the yard. Ignore sleep cycles, etc. Got the feat, quit, deleted the sandbox, moved on. Pilgrim is a great mode to get your feats but it takes some discipline. If you really want them, they are there to get. It can be done and although perhaps not so much fun (although I quite enjoyed the challenge), the payoff is sweet.

I suggest trying before dismissing the idea. ¬¬

9 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Well, I don't know, I get stuck somehow sometimes and can't get going fast enough after hitting them. I should practice just that part for a bit. I don't really care about the rabbits though :D

But Rabbit Mittens, though! And you can never have enough guts.

4 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

But Rabbit Mittens, though! And you can never have enough guts.

The only time I've ever made the fur clothes was for 'Wrapped in Furs'.  I find it unnecessary in anything but Interloper since I can get pretty darn warm with just the clothes I find in the world. Also, I don't like the added warmth bonus you get from the fur clothes. I like there to be some element of danger for when temp drops unexpectedly while out and about. If I'm trying to get that 500 Days though I'd do it just to have something to keep me occupied during that long duration.

4 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I feel like the skills make a different sound than completing a Feat. Hmm... ;)

Whatever different sounds they all make, they all still catch me off guard and freak me out. I'll have to pay more attention to the different sound cues we get for certain things from now on.

6 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

The only time I've ever made the fur clothes was for 'Wrapped in Furs'.  I find it unnecessary in anything but Interloper since I can get pretty darn warm with just the clothes I find in the world. Also, I don't like the added warmth bonus you get from the fur clothes. I like there to be some element of danger for when temp drops unexpectedly while out and about. If I'm trying to get that 500 Days though I'd do it just to have something to keep me occupied during that long duration.

On TWM I've found that even in all fur clothing, the temp can still drop in the negatives low enough to pose a threat.

2 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

I don't just start a sandbox to get a badge.

That would be cheating as far as I'm concerned.

I got the majority of my badges in my 118 day Ava run...all in the flow of survival game play.

The same will happen with my fire badge.

So by that rationale, any action taken in-game specifically with a badge in mind is also cheating. Thus, instead of passing that hour, choosing to light a couple of fires would be wrong? Where does this begin and end?

Sorry, but calling it cheating is nonsense. The game is still being played with all rules observed; while getting to my badge I still must survive and do everything required to reach such an end.

What you don't like is the motivation but this in no way correlates to cheating.

You're a purist Ross, which is cool but there are many ways to and reasons for playing the game. There is nothing wrong with working to grab the carrots strung up in front of us.

Absolutely not to your first sentence which is essentially ridiculous.

Every moment of survival goes towards a badge until you have that badge.

However I simply would not start a sandbox to I dunno spam fires everywhere to get the fire master badge.

That is specifically working towards achieving a badge and not therefore doing something logical in a survival situation.

Especially not in a survival situation in the apocalypse of The Long Dark where setting off a ton of signal fires would not be seen by a damn soul.

But to each their own I guess.

Then it's the intention you take issue with? You're fine with my spamming some fires in a game where my motivation is true, honest survival, but if I start a game with the intention of spamming fires, it's cheating? Sounds a little 'thought-crime'~ish. :o

20 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

Every moment of survival goes towards a badge until you have that badge.

Correct, and how exactly am I not adhering to this?

It's a game mate, not a survival situation. What one does in the game and what one may do in reality have no correlation at all. If I were in Will's situation and a god was bestowing badges, I would do all I could to get them then as well. Any legitimate advantage one can get is a reasonable motivator and I believe this traces back to the origin of the word "grind", a feature of many games where the player is encouraged to act in order to level up in order to maintain forward progress. Such action is legitimate regardless of motivation or intention and is again in no way a cheat.

Yes, to each their own so let's not rush to judgement. :)

23 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

I get stuck somehow sometimes and can't get going fast enough after hitting them.

When I'm rockin' rabbits, I have one finger on the crouch key, and one on the forwards key.. soon as I nail one, it's ba-domp, and I'm up and moving.

Archived