Patch 7 didn't fix Jeremiah Flare Cache for me.

Anthony_Jouls

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That being said, if they fixed this in a patch, but it isn't fixed for YOU in the game, it's because for many of the patched things....you have to start over AFTER the patch it seems....

So if you were already in Episode 2....or mostly done with Episode 2 and they patched this, it may not be patched in your game unless you start Episode 2 over again....

So if you want the achievement for all the caches or whatever, you might have to start a new run later.....I'd recommend once EVERYTHING is patched....

20 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

That being said, if they fixed this in a patch, but it isn't fixed for YOU in the game, it's because for many of the patched things....you have to start over AFTER

As I wrote I've began Episode 2 last Sunnday (20th) and patch 7 was released last wednesday (16th), fortunately I am recording everything and therefore I am 100% sure that I was still in Episode 1 in Milton last Sunnday. So are you suggesting that we have to start over all Episodes to have a bug in Episode 2 fixed?

@Patrick Carlson: can you tell what's necessary to have the flare cache appear in the PC version? I began Episode 2 three days ago, after Patch 7 was released but there's still no flare cache. I've found all the others but not this one, I have the "Flares" option in the Trust menu, Jeremiah tells me all about it but neither the map gets updated with the cache icon nor is the cache where it's supposed to be. Do I have to start a completely new run including Episode 1?

24 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

As I wrote I've began Episode 2 last Sunnday (20th) and patch 7 was released last wednesday (16th), fortunately I am recording everything and therefore I am 100% sure that I was still in Episode 1 in Milton last Sunnday. So are you suggesting that we have to start over all Episodes to have a bug in Episode 2 fixed?

@Patrick Carlson: can you tell what's necessary to have the flare cache appear in the PC version? I began Episode 2 three days ago, after Patch 7 was released but there's still no flare cache. I've found all the others but not this one, I have the "Flares" option in the Trust menu, Jeremiah tells me all about it but neither the map gets updated with the cache icon nor is the cache where it's supposed to be. Do I have to start a completely new run including Episode 1?

I really hope what you just said isn't true....because it means I have to start over too, lol....

If I have to start Episode 1 over again for like the SIXTH time to fix a bug in Episode 2, I'm done....I quit....I've had enough....

It's no longer worth it to me to play Episode 1 over and over and over again to get this game to work properly....the way it should have been working since August 1st....

If you have to play Episode 1 from the beginning to patch a bug in Episode 2....they also have to develop a better way to patch bugs, because that's just nonsense....

At this point @Patrick Carlson and @Raphael van Lierop if you can't patch a bug in Episode 2 without making everyone start over AGAIN from Episode 1, then you need to just give all your fans who have been playing this buggy game since August 1st the cache achievement.

That's the correct thing to do at this point. We have been patient, you've had three weeks now to get this cache to appear. If you can't just make the cache static and appear for everyone, then give everyone the achievement for finding all the caches....we deserve that much at least....

As it stands now I REALLY wanted to play more of Episode 2 today...but what's the point if I'm just going to have to play the whole damn game again to get one broken achievement?

I already found all the keys and got the three caches in Episode 1. I am REALLY tired of playing Episode 1 over and over again from the crash site. I have already done so FIVE times for the other 6 Steam patches....when is enough going to be enough?

Well I've just concluded my last Survival Lesson and won't speak to Jeremiah anymore until this gets fixed. I've completed all main and sidequests so far, including Lake Shots and all of the quests worked. I've found all the caches too except for the one Flare Cache which just won't spawn. I tried changing maps several times too but it didn't help.

Why was this cache added to the requirement? 9 Caches are triggered by a static note and they all work - 1 Cache is triggered by Quest Dialog and it doesn't work, it appears that the code for "dialog-action 'flare': update map and spawn cache" is broken or someone forgot to implement it. It would be really nice if you'd put this on the priority list of stuff to fix.

A little more info.  I started a fresh episode 2 story during Update 6 and ran it through the first part of the story to get to the point where I can trade with Jeremiah for trust.  Then I backed up the files so I could test repeatedly.  Results:

- update 6 -- flares conversation doesn't spawn the cache
- update 7 -- no change

10 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

Why was this cache added to the requirement? 9 Caches are triggered by a static note and they all work - 1 Cache is triggered by Quest Dialog and it doesn't work, it appears that the code for "dialog-action 'flare': update map and spawn cache" is broken or someone forgot to implement it. It would be really nice if you'd put this on the priority list of stuff to fix.

It used to work; I looted this cache on my first playthrough to make it to episode 2.  One of the updates broke it, I guess.

Just now, Ruruwawa said:

It used to work; I looted this cache on my first playthrough to make it to episode 2.  One of the updates broke it, I guess.

I honestly can't tell if it ever worked for me, on my first playthrough I was more focused on figuring out what's going on and didn't search for caches.

4 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

To update you all on the Flare Cache side mission - it appears there is a new issue causing problems with the mission, and its appearance in-game. Apologies you are running into this. We're working on a fix for it. Thank you. 

@Patrick Carlson do you know if we will have to start over again at Episode 1 or Episode 2 for it to be patched in our playthrough? Or can it be patched in a way that will fix it in an already active playthrough? That is one of the major concerns....

1 minute ago, Thrasador said:

@Patrick Carlson do you know if we will have to start over again at Episode 1 or Episode 2 for it to be patched in our playthrough? Or can it be patched in a way that will fix it in an already active playthrough? That is one of the major concerns....

That is a very good question - at this time I can't say though. I do know it's always the intention, if possible, to make fixes apply to on-going games. This isn't always possible of course. We certainly understand any frustration you have regarding that. 

35 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

That is a very good question - at this time I can't say though. I do know it's always the intention, if possible, to make fixes apply to on-going games. This isn't always possible of course. We certainly understand any frustration you have regarding that. 

Ok....thanks! 

Well like I mentioned you could just give everyone playing a playthrough right now the achievement.....or remove that particular cache from the achievement requirements, @Patrick Carlson

It's not like starting over is the ONLY recourse for making this right....

Just now, jkripper said:

I will make an offering of Surge soda to the video game gods and hope that we do not have to restart episodes one OR two in order to get this achievement, once it is fixed. 

I have only done the first mission in episode 2, and I already don't want to have to do that over again for this cache....

Like I said, there are things other than patching this cache that could be done on their end to make this a non-issue....I mean what is it a flare cache? I'm willing to give up the flares.....not a big deal. Just change the achievement to not include this one cache. That would be good enough for me.....

Most of the concerned parties are probably concerned about the achievement....not the contents of the cache.....

I'll toss in a case of Stacy' s Grape Soda too, if we can just delete this case as a requirement for the achievement.  I'm sure it's a very pretty cache with lots of sparkles, but really after waiting for a week or two in Jeremiah' s cabin I'd kinda like to go bear hunting.  :-D

I had a very old save that had the flare cache quest working so i thought hey i'll just play this go get all the notes and see if i get trophy. Well i ran into a new problem, i went to the dam to get the note for the Alan's cave hidden cache, picked it up, and didn't get the mission, i even reloaded and read note first then picked it up and still no quest.

Just now, Sirdoeboy01 said:

I had a very old save that had the flare cache quest working so i thought hey i'll just play this go get all the notes and see if i get trophy. Well i ran into a new problem, i went to the dam to get the note for the Alan's cave hidden cache, picked it up, and didn't get the mission, i even reloaded and read note first then picked it up and still no quest.

God only knows why that it is....it may even be due to how the scripting for Jerimiah's cache is now broken....but you already got it. Somehow by you getting the cache that is no longer present in the game, but it is part of the general cache side quests.....it may have broken the other cache side quests.....

Previously I believe you could get the quest from Jerimiah, and it showed up in the journal....and maybe on the map.....but it didn't actually spawn in the game world....so you couldn't collect it, but at least the quest itself still was present.....

NOW, when you talk to him about the cache via trust there is NO quest, nothing on the map, and nothing in the game world either....i.e. they pretty much totally broke the cache now, with the exception of talking to him about it....

Again I repeat....the fair and prudent thing at this juncture would be to just remove that ONE cache from the achievement, so that we can all move on in the game.....until they figure out how to fix it. 

However despite me asking for this here and elsewhere (I deleted that thread out of general frustration yesterday), I can't get Hinterland to comment on this possibility.....

I just did a fresh run of episode 2 to test something. If you don't pick up the note in the dam for the Alan's cave hidden cache and then go get Jeremiah's trust to 50 you get the flare quest to show up correctly, but after that if you go get the note in the dam for the Alan's cave hidden cache it won't show up. So again i did this again and got the note first, which made the Alan's cave hidden cache show up, went back to Jeremiah got him 50 trust and no flare cache quest. So somehow these two caches are breaking each other. (Tested on ps4 v.1.12)

43 minutes ago, Sirdoeboy01 said:

I just did a fresh run of episode 2 to test something. If you don't pick up the note in the dam for the Alan's cave hidden cache and then go get Jeremiah's trust to 50 you get the flare quest to show up correctly, but after that if you go get the note in the dam for the Alan's cave hidden cache it won't show up. So again i did this again and got the note first, which made the Alan's cave hidden cache show up, went back to Jeremiah got him 50 trust and no flare cache quest. So somehow these two caches are breaking each other. (Tested on ps4 v.1.12)

Well that's good to know....you basically discovered a work around which is pretty awesome! I do have a backed up save from before I went into the dam. It's a question of whether or not I would rather do that all over, as I already got Alan's cache and finished the quest....and then did various other busy work like killing some bunnies and that wolf for meat. Or do I just want to wait for the patch.

I got pretty good loot in the dam, doing this over will re-roll the loot table again which will be frustrating for me. That being said, when they do patch this it will most likely not fix an already started run, or having gotten the Alan's cave cache will mean it's still broken for me anyways. So in any event I will most likely be stuck doing this all over anyway...

Guess I may as well just do your work around, as it will probably save me work in the long run.

I highly advise you to advertise this work around by calling a moderator and/or writing a detailed bug report about your discovery. Doing so will greatly improve the odds that this will be patched properly, and in a way that helps people who already got Alan's cache note and/or the cache....As it's the first one you encounter by following the story in a linear fashion....

Which note is the Alan's cache note? Can you remember so I don't accidentally pick it up....Is it that final note in the last locked office before you get the medical locker key? Or is it one of the earlier notes? There's like 4 notes in there for God's sake, lol....

Crap I just re-read your post over again....so doing one totally breaks the other? Dammit....so I'm screwed no matter what....

Well definitely report it anyway, because they will probably patch one and then accidently  break the other....We will end up waiting however long it is going to take to fix Jerimiah's cache....and then the Alan's cave cache won't show up anymore....and so on....

Anyways, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk....it's just seems to be the way things have been going lately....I mean Jerimiah's cache was already allegedly fixed two patches ago....

@Thrasador yeah sorry if my post wasn't very clear, it's hard to put into words what the problem is but basically no matter what you do you're going only have 6/7(I think there are 7 mystery lake caches) either you're going miss the flare cache or the Alan's cache, I did submit it to the bug report so hopefully I wrote it good enough that they know what the problem is and can fix it.

Archived