What about The Long Dark gives you nightmares?

Stormwolf1O1

What about the Long Dark is the scariest?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've always, always had nightmares with bears chasing me. Whenever I have them I usually get away by climbing onto the roof of some shed or small building that conveniently places itself in my dream right at the nick of time. I haven't had one in awhile though and maybe that's because of TLD.
No it's not the nightmares, but it's the game itself that can sometimes creep me out. I'll be walking along, la deeda deeda, and then hear something that doesn't seem right. Seems off, as though I'm being followed by something much worse than our four legged friends. When I was inside the farmhouse in Wintermute and going through stuff in the office in there I heard a sound which sounded like the front door opening and then closing. It really freaked me out, lol, and I rushed back into the main room to see what it was. It was just the closed door, nothing else. I only heard the sound for a split second and never heard the sound again. If there had been something standing there, like a zombie or something, I think I would have died of heart failure :D 

You missed one though...Freak snow storm, white out. You can't see and you don't have all that you need to survive through it. It's happend to me a couple times and once, it killed me.

25 minutes ago, starfighter441 said:

Thin ice scares the crap out of me, I won't beachcomb

When you spot something you want, or want to investigate on the shoreline, drop all your clothes before you go for it.. worst comes to worst, at least you've got dry clothes waiting for you..

12 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

You missed one though...Freak snow storm, white out. You can't see and you don't have all that you need to survive through it. It's happend to me a couple times and once, it killed me.

Goddd that reminds me of the time a few days ago when I used a stim and went blindly sprinting down Coastal Highway in a raging blizzard, at night. LOL

25 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Goddd that reminds me of the time a few days ago when I used a stim and went blindly sprinting down Coastal Highway in a raging blizzard, at night. LOL

I almost died in a whiteout just back of Misantrhrope's on the ice. I was out there harvesting a deer and it started to snow. I ignored it because I was probably within throwing distance of the island. So I keep harvesting in 2 kg takes at a time. After one of these times, it's a full on whiteout and I can't see a thing. I think I have time for getting 2 more kg. I was being foolish and stubborn. After that the whiteout only seemed worse, not better. I was almost in the red for body temp so, time to get going...only which way? I figure heading straight from the backside of the deer will get me to the island, but nope, I run into weak ice. How? Turn and go the other way, weak ice again, wth? Everywhere I turn, weak ice. I'm completely lost. I finally find a way to go where I'm not hitting weak ice and I hit the island way down at the far east point. Once I found the island I was good, but that was touch and go for awhile. And that was one of times I didn't die, lol.

17 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I almost died in a whiteout just back of Misantrhrope's on the ice. I was out there harvesting a deer and it started to snow. I ignored it because I was probably within throwing distance of the island. So I keep harvesting in 2 kg takes at a time. After one of these times, it's a full on whiteout and I can't see a thing. I think I have time for getting 2 more kg. I was being foolish and stubborn. After that the whiteout only seemed worse, not better. I was almost in the red for body temp so, time to get going...only which way? I figure heading straight from the backside of the deer will get me to the island, but nope, I run into weak ice. How? Turn and go the other way, weak ice again, wth? Everywhere I turn, weak ice. I'm completely lost. I finally find a way to go where I'm not hitting weak ice and I hit the island way down at the far east point. Once I found the island I was good, but that was touch and go for awhile. And that was one of times I didn't die, lol.

Wow. I would've run straight into the ocean LOL.

Those aurora bears give you 5 seconds to escape after mauling you so you cant pick up your dropped weapon, and also nothing scares them, ive tried, maybe the flashlightbut i doubt it, so NEVER hunt bears during an aurora, they wont die in one hit and WILL kill you if you stick around, you cant even bandage your wounds without being attacked, im serious. 

But after that, most likely if fluffy existed on the trestle bridge 0.o

Maybe a new wolf called Troll xP

Its the bear for me, after completing the hunted part one theres just certain spots in PV and ML (parts of the route i took for the challenge) that I just get really freaked out and I keep expecting to see a bear thundering toward me:o.

After completing the challenge I saw a few attempts on YT that the bear was way nicer and not, like mine hounding me right on my tail, every step of the way.

It definitely left its mark.

8 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

I was out there harvesting a deer and it started to snow. I ignored it because I was probably within throwing distance of the island. So I keep harvesting in 2 kg takes at a time. After one of these times, it's a full on whiteout and I can't see a thing. I think I have time for getting 2 more kg. I was being foolish and stubborn. After that the whiteout only seemed worse, not better. I was almost in the red for body temp so, time to get going...only which way?

Any time I'm uncertain about the weather, before I start harvesting I orient myself so I'm already facing the right direction to depart in. It's saved my ass a couple of times.

7 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Those aurora bears give you 5 seconds to escape after mauling you so you cant pick up your dropped weapon, and also nothing scares them, ive tried, maybe the flashlightbut i doubt it, so NEVER hunt bears during an aurora, they wont die in one hit and WILL kill you if you stick around, you cant even bandage your wounds without being attacked, im serious. 

:o Ohh shit.. there are aurora bears as well? Do they glow green too?

13 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Any time I'm uncertain about the weather, before I start harvesting I orient myself so I'm already facing the right direction to depart in. It's saved my ass a couple of times.

Good idea. I was still a little green then. I sometimes will even make sort of a 'bread crumb trail' with flares or anything that's brightly colored if I think I might need to. I learned to do that when I was kid and it stuck. Whenever I'd go out into the woods alone I would mark the trees with a knife so that the mark was facing in the direction I was going so that I wouldn't get lost. I had gotten lost before. There's a huge highway near where I grew up and that is what got me out. I tried to climb trees to see where I was but that didn't help. I was back in there pretty far. I almost began to panic but I followed the sound of the highway which got me out, a hell of a lot further down then where I went in, but out, just the same. After that, I always brought a knife to mark the trees and it never failed me.

4 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Good idea. I was still a little green then. I sometimes will even make sort of a 'bread crumb trail' with flares or anything that's brightly colored if I think I might need to. I learned to do that when I was kid and it stuck. Whenever I'd go out into the woods alone I would mark the trees with a knife so that the mark was facing the way I was going so that I wouldn't get lost. I had gotten lost before. There's a huge highway near where I grew up and that is what got me out. I tried to climb trees to see where I was but that didn't help. I was back in there pretty far. I almost began to panic but I followed the sound of the highway which got me out, a hell of a lot further down then where I went in, but out, just the same. After that, I always brought a knife to mark the trees and it never failed me.

Since I maxed Firestarting and no longer need Tinder for anything, it makes good bread crumbs.

11 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Since I maxed Firestarting and no longer need Tinder for anything, it makes good bread crumbs.

I didn't know that you don't need tinder with the fire master skill. I STILL don't have it and it's the only one that I don't have.

14 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I didn't know that you don't need tinder with the fire master skill.

I think @Stormwolf1O1 was just referring to how, in every game, once you reach fire-level 3, you don't need tinder any more. The nice thing about the fire-master badge is, you can use it to start every game already at level 3. (still working on mine, it's now the only one I don't have)

14 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I didn't know that you don't need tinder with the fire master skill. I STILL don't have it and it's the only one that I don't have.

My mistake, like JAFO says it's actually just fire-level 3 where you don't need tinder anymore. I was thinking of cooking, which I just mastered. No more food poisoning for me!

58 minutes ago, JAFO said:

:o Ohh shit.. there are aurora bears as well? Do they glow green too?

Yes, DO NOT ENGAGE, they are a death sentence unless you exploit their AI and shoot them on top of things. 

The are black and green and have bright glowing eyes, the cutscene for getting attacked is unreal 

591429_1291481246014_full.jpg.6d5e6968b588619ad744c8b580ae2252.jpg

Not unlike this, but with the aurora waving in the sky above.

Archived