Can you live in Timberwolf Mountain long-term?

omoon66

Playing on Stalker, I plan to move to Timberwolf Mountain. Looking at a map, right outside the Mountain hut, there's a wolf and a deer, and another set of a wolf and deer farther away. So I'm thinking that's some food there, then fishing for more food. But I'm wondering if that'll last me until the wildlife respawns. And of course whatever I get from the summit (the motherload of all resources).  I got the hunting equipment, and can make all the fishing equipment to last a while. Do you think it's a good idea?

10 minutes ago, cullam said:

Timberwolf Mountain is probably my favourite place to live long term. You've got multiple spots for rabbits, nearby deer, nearby wolves that AREN'T right outside your home base, fishing, and even bears. You're good. 

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I would have enough food. I would think I would be warm enough, since I got pretty good clothing. But I guess on especially cold nights the bearskin bedroll will come in handy ^_^

The mountaineers hut is arguably the best place in the game for  long term survival, IF you already have all the basics, AND a good set of clothing that you can keep repaired. (A bearskin bedroll wouldn't hurt either) You will want to take MANY hooks with you, for long term clothing repairs. Forget about the motherlode on the summit. As for food, its a weeks worth, maybe. For clothing, you most likely won't get anything thats better than crafted clothes.  Your clothing matters because long term, you'll need a ton of wood (IF you can't sleep without fire) as the hut doesn't have the same temperature bonus as other buildings. It's considered indoors, but its not for temp bonus. One great thing is the warmth of the fireplace radiates out the back of the hut, so if you do get cabin fever, you can sleep on the outside, right next to the back wall of the chimney, Or in the very nearby fishing hut. There are a couple rabbit groves nearby, and several deer on one end of the lake, with a couple wolves that will patrol the lake (# depends on difficulty-I think its two on stalker)  The dangers of TWM come into play once you start going after the summit loot. Honestly, in my opinion, its rarely been worth the effort of getting it all down. (especially now after the changes to climbing/encumbrance) It takes 4 or 5 or more trips to get it all back down unless you're willing to risk cliffing it. The biggest challenge of TWM seems to be long term wood for fires, so again, clothing is essential so you dont need a fire every night just for warmth, or having a ton of hatchets or sharpening stones. Food and skins/guts will never be an issue there. The wolves on the lake are easy to kill by driving deer to them and putting an arrow in their eyeball when they menace you over the kill. Or, drop some fish a short ways from the ice hut, and wait for them to come to that. They will stay gone about a week, on average, I personally kill them one at a time, so theres always 1 there. They generally stay on the far end from the fishing hut, and arent usually a problem, just be cautious if you choose my method and leave one alive.  There is a bear that occasionally will come near the lake, and he also is an easy rug for the hearth from the ice hut.  And, on stalker and up, there is a small pack that hangs out in back of the hut, to the left (looking at the front) that sometimes get to close for comfort, but are generally not a problem. If youve got the ammo, make em into a spare coat.

Yeah, it's been done if you read @Drifter Man's run. I personally know I wouldn't enjoy it. I haven't been there yet on my Voyager 100 day run, but I do plan to loot it at some point. I am not planning on staying there very long. I don't like that it gets so cold in the Mountaineer's Hut that you can die over night without a fire. Just too much aggravation for me....

Archived