Computer restarts without any notice

synonym

Hi,

Depends on Gametime - between 5 and 20 minutes my pc restarts without any notice before, just boom-gone.

My specs: Win 8.1 pro, intel core i7-4770 @3.40ghz, 32gb ram, nvidia geforce GTX TITAN.

I had a similar problem with cs:go quite some time ago, had to turn off multi-core rendering - then it worked (cant do it in the-long-dark though)

pls help or advice.

best greetings,

this sound like a cooling problem to me, I had my share of those in the past

open the case (it helps a little for a while)

check that all your fans are running

check temps of coolers by carefully touching them (99% it's the default cooler on graphics card, the one motherboard chipset is also a candidate)

if it it feels warm = ok, if it feels hot = not ok

check outside temperature (these things use to happen more in temperatures of 30C and up)

;) i already tried this

look, problem is - i can play skyrim for 6 hours in full resolution, bioshok hours in full resolution - so i dont really think its a cooler problem. why my pc restarted at cs:go - i didnt find out, but it stopped when i turned off multi-core-rendering.

greetings

That would rule it out.

I would still touch all heatsinks to be sure. The system only reboots when a certain compentent is used. 99% it will be the graphics card. It could also be related to your RAM/harddisk either they are defect (unlikely with RAM) or overheating.

Perhaps you touch the harddisks too if they are hot like a stove, you could have the culprit. Overheating harddrives are rather common, and it is terrible for their lifespan. And as I said, many manufacturers don't put a heatsink on the chipset and sometimes that fries them.

Just trying to help, if a system reboots it is most likely a hardware problem. If you want to speed up the error finding process you could also reinstall the OS, and the problem might go away. If it is still there you can be sure it is the hardware.

Didn't know about multi core rendering option. This would indicate either your CPU is defect / overheated (unlikely imo) or there could be something go wrong with the BIOS. Sometimes BIOS is only tested with usual stuff and some advanced features may be broken. Have a look at your mainboard manufacturers site / forum and ask if they have BIOS update. Often you quickly find out that other people have the same problem, and maybe even get a solution.

forget to mention something: i can play it now very long without any restart - but only in windowed mode. In fullscreen the restart happens.

i know you want to help and im very thankful, - it has nothing to do with heat, my pc is cold inside. - i put the heatsink myself on the chip. - reinstalling is not an option.

funny is that i can play it in windowed mode, not in fullscreen ^^...

This sound like a cooling problem to me, also. And I'm just like to help, as well. ;)

I had several restarting issues in the past with different games. I find out that I need to vacuum clean my GPU's heatsink and the fan after every few month, because it's got a lot of dust inside. There's so many dust can build up in my GPU's heatsink that the airflow is literally stop. And when my GPU became overheated it was restarted my PC.

• 2 months later...

Did this ever get resolved/ figured out? I posted in the bug section something similar, except that the restarts occur only when entering certain Coastal Highway buildings. This is also repeatable, every time I enter the gas station, misanthropes homestead, and a few other buildings I see the interior for 1-2 seconds and then my PC reboots. My specs are similar to the OP in terms of power/cooling. Win 8.1, fx-8350, 16gb RAM, hd 7990, 840 pro 256gb ssd, and some liquid cooling. So as the OP stated, not heat related for myself either. This is also the first time I have ever had this happen since building this computer two years ago, and I play some pretty seriously demanding titles at 2560x1440. Also, after getting back into the game I am unable to load my last save. If I even select the load option the game becomes unresponsive and must be force closed. If I instead start over then there are no issues. However if I stay in Mystery Lake this does not happen, I have been in every building found so far within that map with no issues. I played for 8 or 9 hours in Mystery Lake on Wed, so decided to try my luck in coastal highway again. After all that play time, the same thing happened yet again. I entered a different home in Coastal Townsite and PC rebooted. Any ideas?

Archived