Forlorn Muskeg

Lrrr Ruler of OP8

I recently decided that at day 32 in Mystery Lake, that it was time I visited the Muskeg for the forge. Unbeknownst to me, this particular Muskeg was incredibly Forlorn.

After making it past the Poacher's Camp with no altercations, I noticed on the horizon a pack of wolves. No matter, I will simply subvert them and go around to the left. It was made aware to me, when I fell through the ice, that my day was not going to be as cut and dry and I had hoped it to be. After stumbling out to gather wood to dry myself off, I was greeted by a pack of two more wolves, with one denying my bait. I was able to nail it in the head with my bow shortly before it arrived at my doorstep, and proceeded to provide the killing blow after a short cuddle. Unfortunately, that baited wolf from earlier ate all too quickly, and was once again coming around for one more swing at me. More bait was dropped. Without wood, I would surely die from the hypothermia and soaked clothing. Unfortunately, my greed got the better of me, and I didn't just gather sticks. No. I went for the large cedar limb, in the hopes that I would actually lose less condition for the same amount of wood, relative to the sticks.

Bad Idea.

In the end, I was able to gather my precious wood, and the wolves would never again have to smell my bag from afar. 

Ouch. That's a nasty turn of events! Things get desperate pretty quickly once you've fallen through the ice, and the lack of shelter in FM means there aren't many safe places to recover. Keeping a stock of firewood at the poacher's camp and the forge is a good idea. 

I hope you'll go back there again and master the environment! 

16 hours ago, Lrrr Ruler of OP8 said:

I recently decided that at day 32 in Mystery Lake, that it was time I visited the Muskeg for the forge. Unbeknownst to me, this particular Muskeg was incredibly Forlorn.

After making it past the Poacher's Camp with no altercations, I noticed on the horizon a pack of wolves. No matter, I will simply subvert them and go around to the left. It was made aware to me, when I fell through the ice, that my day was not going to be as cut and dry and I had hoped it to be. After stumbling out to gather wood to dry myself off, I was greeted by a pack of two more wolves, with one denying my bait. I was able to nail it in the head with my bow shortly before it arrived at my doorstep, and proceeded to provide the killing blow after a short cuddle. Unfortunately, that baited wolf from earlier ate all too quickly, and was once again coming around for one more swing at me. More bait was dropped. Without wood, I would surely die from the hypothermia and soaked clothing. Unfortunately, my greed got the better of me, and I didn't just gather sticks. No. I went for the large cedar limb, in the hopes that I would actually lose less condition for the same amount of wood, relative to the sticks.

Bad Idea.

In the end, I was able to gather my precious wood, and the wolves would never again have to smell my bag from afar. 

Always go to the Riken in DP for a forge. Always. :)

11 hours ago, LucidFugue said:

I hope you'll go back there again and master the environment! 

Oh you know I will! That was my first experience there, previously in my 3 years of this game I glanced at a non-spoiler map when a new region came out, but I knew that that wasn't really the way I was supposed to play anyways. So for these new maps (TWM, DP, FM) I just went in there and tried it for myself. I guess I just underestimated the severity of this particular new region haha. I knew people said it was kinda crazy, and they definitely weren't wrong. Can't wait to get back out there again though. 

17 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Always go to the Riken in DP for a forge. Always. :)

I know, I know. But I want to explore the "Skeg" anyways ;) 

Archived