(PS4) tutorial-Making a backup of game files

Winnsford

After losing a 65 day sandbox file to a crash causing corrupted game files I decide to keep a backup of my TLD game files. Yesterday it paid off. Deep into Episode 2 of Wintermute story mode the game crashed during a transition load screen and corrupted my game file. Restarted Wintermute and my only option was 'New' meaning my game file was corrupted and I would have to start over after many hours of gameplay. Fortunately I was keeping a copy of the game files. Reloaded the files and only lost a few hours of gameplay. Very frustrating but at least I didn't have to start over. I would highly recommend PS4 users making a backup of game files. Even after update 1.08 I'm still getting occasional crashes. The interval between backups is up to you. You can do this as often as you like but you have to close the game in order to create a backup. The question becomes how much playtime are you willing to lose. Everything after your last backup will be lost.
To create a backup:
Go to Settings then Application Saved Data Management.
Select Saved Data in System Storage.
Select Copy to USB Storage Device or Upload to Online Storage.
Select The Long Dark from the list.
Click Select All then Copy.
Check the Apply to All box and click Yes
You now have a copy of your TLD game files.
If you lose your game files after a crash you will only have the 'New' option after selecting 'Wintermute' or 'Survival Mode'. Basically your game file corrupted on the last crash and couldn't be loaded.
To reload your game files:
Go to Settings then Application Saved Data Management.
Select Saved Data on USB Storage or Saved Data on Online Storage.
Select Copy to System Storage.
Select The Long Dark.
Choose Select All then then Copy.
Check the Apply to All box.
Click Yes.
Restart the game and you should have your 'Resume' option. 

This will not ensure your save progress will be retrievable upon a crash or loss of data when loading up the game after closing application in either mode unfortunately. But if playing on Survival it will bring back your data if it was created in your starting region. I have tested many times, if you are preparing to explore new regions backup your save and profile data before venturing out into the Long Dark of Data Loss. 

Archived