Hello and Goodby

sloweddi

Howdy,

I am a former IT and computer repair person who retired about 10 yrs ago and have been playing video games for most of my life.  And while I find the game engaging and interesting and I would love to play it, it keeps crashing after I get to a church outside Milton.  The most progress I have mad is running to the bridge, where it crashes.  This is the only game with this problem and yes, I have tried all the fixes, been through the error files, etc.  With 28 other games on the HDs, this is the only one with problems.

So rather than go on an endless loop of trying to fix this, I will say goodby, the best of luck with your company, and this does look like a nice game.

Ok, can I have all your stuff? Lol, j/k....

If they didn't patch it with the last patch, then I'm sure it will be patched soon.

You didn't even say what platform. If it's PC, I have never had a crash there and I have started over four times already....after each major patch. So you probably have some rare hardware conflict or need to update your graphics drivers, or you just don't meet specifications.

If it's PS4 or Xbox I'm sure it will be fixed, but no one else has complained about that spot specifically, just random crashes in general. So you are most likely on PC, and like I said....the rest of us on PC don't have a specific problem there. 

I think this is a case of it's you....not them...

You claim to have the background necessary to troubleshoot your problem, but you seem unwilling to do so because your other games all work....ok, your choice I guess...

3 hours ago, sloweddi said:

With 28 other games on the HDs

That sounds like a console player..

Give it some time, mate.. new stability patches for the consoles have just been released, and more are in the pipeline. Sure, TLD got off to a rocky start, but the devs are patching frantically, and things are getting better every day.

I said I was done, but just like that little irritation that will not go away, I have to figure this out. 

To answer these questions,   Yes I am running a PC version.  My graphics card is a Radeon HD 5830 and has the current drivers, I am running an AMD Quad core @ 3.2 GH with 16 G of memory.

The game has the current patch as of a few days ago (1.0.8 I think)

All my drivers are current and have been updated.

My next step my be to dust of my disassembly skills and see exactly what is happening.  Did I mention that I started programming in the late 60's??

I think it might be tied to just where I have progressed in the game.  I can go in any direction for a few minutes and it will crash.  The more I think on it, it might be a boundary issue.

I will keep you all posted

2 minutes ago, sloweddi said:

My next step my be to dust of my disassembly skills and see exactly what is happening.  Did I mention that I started programming in the late 60's??

You're ahead of me then.. my assembler programming started in the early 80's.

Also, please consider submitting a bug report with a copy of the save file. You may have just hit some kind of weird edge-case situation. It will be in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark, and titled "ep1story1" or similar.

8 minutes ago, sloweddi said:

I said I was done, but just like that little irritation that will not go away, I have to figure this out. 

To answer these questions,   Yes I am running a PC version.  My graphics card is a Radeon HD 5830 and has the current drivers, I am running an AMD Quad core @ 3.2 GH with 16 G of memory.

The game has the current patch as of a few days ago (1.0.8 I think)

All my drivers are current and have been updated.

I think it might be tied to just where I have progressed in the game.  I can go in any direction for a few minutes and it will crash.  The more I think on it, it might be a boundary issue.

I will keep you all posted

Like I said, this issue has me perplexed too. I read MOST of the threads in this forum, and I read a lot of the bug reports for fun. To date nothing I have read talked about a specific crash there, for anyone on any platform. So like I mentioned above....this particular crash at this particular spot seems unique to your rig.

I do have a couple questions and comments relating to this issue:

When was the last time you started over at the very beginning? After which patch? I keep starting over after each Steam patch because many of the things in each patch are not applied retroactively. Like the tools added to Milton, they were not present in my first game so I started over....

My other question is for the rest of the community AND you. The first time I played, I could have sworn Will said something when he got to the big Milton sign at the bridge. In my latest couple games he didn't say anything at the bridge after Steam patch 5 or 6, I think. Maybe I'm getting the town bridge confused with the first bridge and I'm wrong. Lately for me though he didn't say anything out loud until AFTER I crossed the town bridge and he comments on the house with smoke and yells "IS ANYBODY THERE?!

I'm wondering if one of the later patches bugged this audible in game comment, and if you haven't started over since those last patches it is somehow causing the crash when it gets to the point where he used to say something....

So if you didn't start AGAIN after Steam patch 6....try it. I know it's a pain to keep starting over again and again, and it is frustrating to do all the same crap over AGAIN, but what if that fixes the issue?

Well ... I decided to give it one more try.  Instead of leaving the church , scaring off the wolf and then going to the bridge, I thought I would backtrack away from town to see if I could duplicate the problem at another location.  I went away from town, found a dead deer, reminded myself after harvesting that I had no firewood so I collected some of that.  Went back to the church. cooked the meat.  Left for Milton and scared off the wolf. Instead of going over the bridge, I went to the left and under the bridge and made it all the way to talking with the old lady before the crash.

4 hours ago, sloweddi said:

Yes I played survival mode and found it lacking.

Give 'em time.. it's only been in development for 5 years! :P

Seriously though, in what way(s)? Many people find it quite compelling.

And yes, I'm genuinely interested in knowing.. the devs always appreciate feedback.

First, I decided to restart the game.  But first, I checked on fragmentation.  It was massive, just for this game.  So I will defrag first (yes, I know what you are going to say but it couldn't hurt at this point).

OK, what I like is the open environ.  While it is mostly a path driven game, the ability to explore gets high marks.  I really like the learning curve aspect of the game ( I have yet to die by rabbit, but...).

I would like to see at least 2 save options, like the last 2 save points so when I am stuck with a crashing game, I can go back a bit and see if it reproduces.

4 hrs till the drive finishes defraging, see you then

OK, what I like is the open environ.  While it is mostly a path driven game, the ability to explore gets high marks.  I really like the learning curve aspect of the game ( I have yet to die by rabbit, but...).

Hmm.. from the above, one would think that you'd quite enjoy Survival Mode. And the learning curves for Stalker and Interloper can be pretty brutal. (Death by rabbit is achievable too.. via food poisoning from bad meat! :D)

I would like to see at least 2 save options, like the last 2 save points so when I am stuck with a crashing game, I can go back a bit and see if it reproduces.

This is a very good idea.. I hope the devs see it.. it can't hurt for you to suggest it in the Wishlist sub-forum.

Archived