Mountaineering rope disappeared!

PatMc1996

I recently completed all the missions for Grey Mother and she gave me the mountaineering rope. I then deployed it at the climbing area, but I didn't go down it because I still had some Milton side quests I wanted to complete.  After I completed these quests I logged off the game and came back several hours later to continue.  The next day (in game time) I went out to the climbing area to go down the mountaineering rope, only to discover that it had disappeared! I checked my inventory, the house I had made my base, the climbing area, Grey Mother's house, and I tried talking to her, but the mountaineering rope was nowhere to be found, although everything else she gave me after I completed all her missions were still accounted for.  Does this mean I'll have to restart my whole story mode playthrough!? 

Same thing just happened to me. Went back to Grey Mother: nothing new. Checked the trunk where I got the rope: empty. Closed the game and restarted it: no change. The only reason I didn't go down the rope right after I deployed it was something Mackenzie said about never coming back. It sounded to me like a warning that I should finish any pending tasks and grab any gear I wouldn't want to lose.

Oh, and I tried jumping. I died.

Starting over is so much fun. </sarcasm>

SPOILER ALERT (highlight text below to reveal)

I found a workaround. I was able to climb down without the rope, just being very careful, moving slowly and trying to slide along surfaces trending generally downward. At the bottom, Mackenzie says something about the rope being old, so presumably if I still had the rope, it would have broken on the way down.

Edited by jrivett
Trying to hide text.
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, jrivett said:

SPOILER ALERT (highlight text below to reveal)

I found a workaround. I was able to climb down without the rope, just being very careful, moving slowly and trying to slide along surfaces trending generally downward. At the bottom, Mackenzie says something about the rope being old, so presumably if I still had the rope, it would have broken on the way down.

Woah, you can cheese the whole Milton part... and yes, the rope will broke on the way down

Edited by Mixxut
Spelling error

• 3 years later...
On 8/12/2017 at 12:24 PM, PatMc1996 said:

I recently completed all the missions for Grey Mother and she gave me the mountaineering rope. I then deployed it at the climbing area, but I didn't go down it because I still had some Milton side quests I wanted to complete.  After I completed these quests I logged off the game and came back several hours later to continue.  The next day (in game time) I went out to the climbing area to go down the mountaineering rope, only to discover that it had disappeared! I checked my inventory, the house I had made my base, the climbing area, Grey Mother's house, and I tried talking to her, but the mountaineering rope was nowhere to be found, although everything else she gave me after I completed all her missions were still accounted for.  Does this mean I'll have to restart my whole story mode playthrough!? 

Same happened to me in raven in survival mode.