Are we seriously supposed to let the bear maul us 6 times?

Larkid

45 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I mean, does it ever stop snowing during the bear quest? O.o And I'm stumped, he's not near the logging camp, or clear cut or down by Camp Office.

If old bear is charging you and you manage to evade him, he usually runs off somewhere. I don't know where he goes but he just runs... Just runs around possibly the whole region.

If he's charging you, you either have to make sure that you scare him off by shooting him or you let him maul you.

IMHO the best way to end your particular snafu is to find old bear and just shoot him. If you're at encounter four, that means that he's supposed to be at the tracks in between camp office and derailment. Start by searching around that area, slowly widening your radius. Use your ears. Try listening to his panicked screaming. Once you can hear him, head his direction and start looking for a blood trail. Follow the blood trail until you get within shooting range of him (when he's in this state, his pathing is erratic and he often crosses his own path). If you manage to hit him, hopefully he runs off. If he charges you instead, you can either let him maul you or shoot him until he flees. Remember that once he's charging you, you should not try to evade him (no running indoors, no jumping off rocks and outcrops, no moving to unreachable spots).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I'm not getting too much fog...just storms.

If you get to the last shot, report back on whether it gets to fog, or maybe inclement weather is scripted but not necessarily fog. I just know it was a definite three days i spent waiting for fog to clear. And right after i killed them, the fog lifted. 

I ran all the way back to the pond, again, looked everywhere in there and then back out to the tracks again. When I was almost to the tracks, this time the game saved so I knew he was there now...even though I had just been over there, twice, and also all through logging camp and clear cut and all the hills in between. I got naked, walked over to the tracks, shot him, got mauled, he took off and I'm in Camp Office right now.

39 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

If you get to the last shot, report back on whether it gets to fog, or maybe inclement weather is scripted but not necessarily fog. I just know it was a definite three days i spent waiting for fog to clear. And right after i killed them, the fog lifted. 

Yes, as I was heading over to Camp Office it became foggy. Thanks guys but I wonder why he wasn't at the tracks the first time I went there?

1 minute ago, MarrowStone said:

Alright, i think that means its your last shot and dont bother waiting for the fog to clear, youre gonna have to listen for the crows that follow the bear around to find it.

I've got two more. One at logging camp and one at clear cut, still. Going to eat dinner first, lol.

I think I know what happened. After I shot him at the pond and got mauled and I ran to clear cut first. In my head I was thinking about the Hunted and I've been wondering if this is connected - If it is or isn't, don't tell me - Anyway, in my mind I figured the tracks might be where the last encounter would be since it's near to that cave at the end of Hunted 2. So when I didn't find him at the clear cut or logging camp I figured he was at the tracks next after all. So I shot a deer, needed food, and spent the night in one of the trailers. Next morning headed over to the tracks encounter but he wasn't there, or anywhere. I searched and searched, all over ML for hours. When I went back to the pond just now and then went to the tracks in correct order, that's when he finally spawned there. The game didn't like that I didn't go straight to the tracks right after shooting old bear at the pond, I guess.

3 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

I got two at Logging Camp...wwll it's kinda just before that actually. But if you get him soon enough and stand your ground you can get him a second time.

Does that actually count as two shots of damage to him? Or do you still have to get him at 6 seperate locations?

18 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

I got two at Logging Camp...wwll it's kinda just before that actually. But if you get him soon enough and stand your ground you can get him a second time.

Thanks Ross. Fog or no fog, I'm not screwing around. That bear is dead, lol. No more stealth. I'm going to find him, shoot him, run after him and shoot him again...if I can hear where he is well enough....that is...maybe a little stealth ;)

2 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Does that actually count as two shots of damage to him? Or do you still have to get him at 6 seperate locations?

Yeah ikr?  'Cause I shot him twice at the pond and I don't think my second shot that I got him when he was charging me counted.

I got a full day of fog, and he found me at the beginning of the foggy day.

I did finally get him point blank, with milliseconds before he attacked me.  "whites of his eyes" is apt.   But that was also my, I believe, 5th hit on him.

It also seemed to help that I went after him "naked", since he's ruined almost every single article of clothing I have.   Currently on my 3rd pair of shoes, 6 head items, and one set of thermal underwear.  Any one  got a spare pair of pants?

10 minutes ago, forever1267 said:

I got a full day of fog, and he found me at the beginning of the foggy day.

I did finally get him point blank, with milliseconds before he attacked me.  "whites of his eyes" is apt.   But that was also my, I believe, 5th hit on him.

It also seemed to help that I went after him "naked", since he's ruined almost every single article of clothing I have.   Currently on my 3rd pair of shoes, 6 head items, and one set of thermal underwear.  Any one  got a spare pair of pants?

I got mauled once...on my 2nd shot and never again.

Why is everyone following this whites of his eyes nonsense?

I tried it from all angles, far away, up close, above him.   That was finally the shot that did it.

I did kill one other bear in the Sandbox mode from further away.  Dead shot on that one, I believe.       

But I'm still learning the shooting aspects.   I've had much better luck with fishing and rabbits then with deer, wolves, and bear.

1 minute ago, MarrowStone said:

Because the game tells us to and thatd just be breaking character and story

Maybe that was just the way of the game telling you that even when he's just about to maul you, you can still kill him if you shoot him right in the face.

On 8/11/2017 at 4:39 PM, MarrowStone said:

It is kind of weird though how if you take jeremiah's advice on how to kill the bear, (he describes waiting till the last moment to shoot), you just get mauled 6 times though till one of you die first.

So yes, you can avoid getting mauled, but the game itself doesnt seem to want you to do that.

yep that's one thing that irked me about that challenge. they lead you along with one expectation then open a trap door in the game logic to trick the player into being mauled. I posted about this a while back because I had shot the bear 21 times and avoided being mauled, and was gently instructed that I was playing the game wrong. I think this way of thinking on the part of the game designers has a negative effect on other aspects of the game as well.

I got mauled each of the 5 times (6th time he dies as soon as you shoot him) I really couldn't get a handle on how you were supposed to cause him to run off. He was directly out the cabin door as soon as I stepped out and I still got a shot in but he mauled me. I popped inside to bandage myself then came back out as he was walking off, he charged, I shot him and he still mauled me. Then took him on at the creek, near the camp office and near the logging huts. Each time no matter how I shot him, crouched, standing, too close, too far, nothing would make him run off. I lost 5 toques, 2 sets of boots, about 4 trousers and two sets of mittens to him. I really think it was bugged out for me, definitely felt like pretty unfair game mechanics.

I know I hit him each time, saw the blood spray and could follow his blood trail after but nothing I did would scare him off. I watched some other videos of people taking him on and they were getting anything and every shot would cause him to scarper so I've got no idea what I could have done differently. I was also cursing Jeremiahs advice, which is what I was trying to follow. I swear he was just trying to get me killed so he could feast on my corpse after. Jeremiah was also a little full of crap regarding the dam as well. I tried racing through, made a few silly mistakes, got very injured and used all my stims to make it to the end in one piece. I know now I shouldn't have bothered. Tho I was trying to never die at all during the game and managed to succeed just.

Enjoyed the game otherwise tho.

• 1 month later...

I think i have figured out the mechanics to this event....
the first mauling, you cannot avoid, right after you exit the cabin, he will be waiting, and even using a flare, he just runs in circles and keeps waiting for u at the cabin....

but then, u can avoid further maulings if u hit with a bullet while he doesnt know where u are.... if he's spotted you, or already charging at you, i could never make him veer away.... but, hitting with a bullet from far away, when he doesnt know where i am, scared him off always... even more, i missed a few times and he just kept walking like nothing until i hit him.....

i agree with others, this is not what we were told.... but it works =)

Edit: *spoiler ahead*
the last bullet encounter, i got fog too, some others say it was scripted, most likely... since right after the bear was dead, the fog dissipated....

You need a head shot, and the target area is very small, literally between the eyes. The bear turn and ran every time I managed a head shot, even first time out the Trapper's cabin, not easy in story mode since you got only level 1 rifle skill and have a lot of drift to contend with. Easier just crouch and plink the bear from far away, any hit will count. There're enough bullets around to afford missing a few times.

Archived