NPCs that move around

LucidFugue

I remember a feature that existed in an old RPG from the Wizardry series - Crusaders of the Dark Savant. There were these NPCs who basically had their own motives and goals. You could do missions for them, or ignore them (none were plot essential, from memory). 

Anyway, this is a 1992 game. And the game simulated NPCs moving throughout the world independently. If you were trying to track one down, you had the option of asking any other NPCs, who would tell you the last time they passed through and where they were headed. 

So, what if there were predetermined locations which could host an NPC (predominantly shelters I am thinking). When you arrive it might be empty, or occupied. Being occupied might be as simple as having the NPC sitting in a chair, or bed. Not necessarily filling the place with owned items. Ideally it wouldn't interfere or cause problems if the player had stashed items in the shelter previously. If they are there, you can interact with them (trust building, unlocking side quests and lore, perhaps even trading?) 

Players wouldn't ever see an NPC out in the world. But the mobile NPCs would have a destination they were headed towards.  After a few days in a given shelter, they would move to another shelter closer to their destination. 

Their destinations could be based on their own needs. So perhaps a trapper is headed out to a specific shelter near a rabbit grove to get some skins. Then off to another shelter near a forge to craft arrowheads. Or a fishing hut to catch some fish. 

Those needs and goals could influence the value of trade items through the trust system. 

By implementing a few dynamic elements without requiring the extensive work that would be necessary to fully realise npcs in the environment, I think you could go a long way to give the impression of humans interacting with the world and pursuing their own goals irrespective of player inputs. 

Archived