Faithful Cartographer achievement... 100%?

Sashamorning

I am trying to fill the 500 days on my current Stalker run with the Cartographer Achievement but reading the above is disheartening to say the least. Of all the achievements it has to be the hardest, grindyest and most difficult that is bugged.

It would also help if there'd be a number in the log displaying how many out of how many locations one has discovered, maybe even per map, because as seen in the pictures here, the mapping feature does not always work correctly, leaving the player uncertain if that counts as discovered now or not.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

I am trying to fill the 500 days on my current Stalker run with the Cartographer Achievement but reading the above is disheartening to say the least. Of all the achievements it has to be the hardest, grindyest and most difficult that is bugged.

It would also help if there'd be a number in the log displaying how many out of how many locations one has discovered, maybe even per map, because as seen in the pictures here, the mapping feature does not always work correctly, leaving the player uncertain if that counts as discovered now or not.

Yeah, Its incredibly discouraging that something as exhaustive and arduous as this wan't vetted internally much better before being put out there. I'm starting to wonder if the achievement itself was tested at all. There are SO many isuues with the maps, it seems highly unlikely that any staffer took the time to go through and see if things were proper and this could actually be earned by players dedicated enough to spend the time it requires. I'm finishing up PV right now, and I've found more errors than i can list. 

I've mapped everything too but didn't got the achievement. I have problems with some locations not being mapped at all (for example the large icon while zoomed out of Rural Crossroad in Pleasent Valley and it's buildings doesn't show on my map, only the name of the location). I have 173 locations discovered and 84% world explored but i don't think that matters for this achievement. I'm on my 500 day and this is the only achievement i'm missing from sandbox mode. On steam it shows that 0.1% of players have this achievement soo i guess i'll try story mode and the challenges hoping for a patch or a detailed guide from someone that has it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice.  I assume that Mountain Town will now count for this.

It's also a bit frustrating to not know if every place has to be filled in on the map or not.  I'm sitting at over 520 days right now and 78%... I know that I've BEEN everywhere that exists so far, but I have less than other people are listing.  Does 78% mean anything?  Is mapping necessary?  (I actually went a LONG bit into my run before I realized that mapping was **even a thing.**  Surprised I didn't really run over anything listing that as a helpful something-something before then (and only saw it on the forums, honestly)).

On 9.9.2017 at 7:09 PM, ChillPlayer said:

It would also help if there'd be a number in the log displaying how many out of how many locations one has discovered, maybe even per map

Have to quote myself here but this would be really helpful. I am having great fun so far mapping all the terrain as it gives me something todo for 500 days but it bugs the hell out of me that I don't know if I've got everything or not, for on many maps there are dark places due to cliffs and such which I cannot uncover no matter what I try. A simple stat saying "78% of all Places in Mystery Lake mapped, 55% of all Places in Milton Town mapped" and so on.

I've mapped Mountain Town and still no achievement. Like on all maps, some locations won't show at all on the map.  I've mapped Paradise Meadows Farm but i can't enter it because it's locked and the key is not in the same location as it was in story mode.

The farm key is in a random spot, it can be in the car, on the body in the barn, on the shelves/area behind the house, or I think near the tractor or inside the tractor.

Yeah I've been waiting for conformation that this achievement actually functions before I bother going through the tedium of it. I've already mapped most of the world once on Interloper and didn't get it and I am never doing it again because it's just a massive pain since every time you map it's just -5% condition from freezing which means you can only map a little every day.

To be honest, even if it was actually fixed already (it's possible, as AFAIK most people talking about it not working are using old saves from previous versions), it is likely you have to start a new game anyways and old games won't work. So I'm just waiting for confirmation that it actually works so I can start a new Pilgrim game and just hammer it out because as far as I'm concerned I've 'earned' the achievement 10 times over with my Interloper mapping project that I did post launch.

7 hours ago, Troxism said:

To be honest, even if it was actually fixed already (it's possible, as AFAIK most people talking about it not working are using old saves from previous versions), it is likely you have to start a new game anyways and old games won't work. 

I have already "done" this once after Wintermute released -- without it finishing successfully.  

We know it's not possible to earn Feats on custom mode, but what about achievements?  It's such a chore to do an achievement in like this in a throw away game.  If I have to do it all over I'd love to do it in a game I feel invested in, but that's custom mode these days.

10 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

We know it's not possible to earn Feats on custom mode, but what about achievements?  It's such a chore to do an achievement in like this in a throw away game.

My guess would be no? You can have some ridiculously easy settings with custom mode that would make the achievements a little too easy to get. 

10 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I am on PC, and I have unlocked Faithful Cartographer. Wasn't even attempting to get the achievement, just wanted to map everything and I got it. 

Can take a screenshot of this achievement?

10 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

This was post-Wintermute update, but pre-Moose update.

If I had a version of the game 1.06, I would have also received this achievement :) 

On 22/12/2017 at 11:26 PM, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I am on PC, and I have unlocked Faithful Cartographer. Wasn't even attempting to get the achievement, just wanted to map everything and I got it. This was post-Wintermute update, but pre-Moose update.

You forget to mention that you used a Mod with a "Map" command.

2 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Since I've been playing this game I don't think it's ever been possible to explore 100% of the world. Old traditions die hard it seems.

Maybe they should save themselves some pain and change the achievement to mapping more than 80 or 90% of locations.

Nothing needs to be changed. The requirements for achievement are known, and they are 100% complete. It's just a mistake that they can not fix yet.

2 hours ago, black72rat said:

It's just a mistake that they can not fix yet.

For how many months now?

I wonder how long it would take before you changed your mind.

Wasn't one of the updates named after this achievement?

And what happens if new maps are added? Do we get new bugs? Do we lose the achievement? Need to complete it again?

It seems like this achievement always has the potential to be a big time sink for both players and developers.

For what? A task that in no way describes how it was accomplished - whether it was as a Pilgrim or whether it was as an Interloper? The disparity in difficulty between these two modes adds ambiguity almost to the point of meaninglessness.

Archived