Make smashing cans great again

LeeHarveyOslik

or "lemme have my benefits from skill progression".

When my character reached level 3 in cooking i was sure i don't have to carry can opener any more. Apparently i was wrong. Whenever i want to treat myself  with something like peaches or dainty dog food  i hear a suspicions sound of a knife being blunted on a can. And i am afraid that is not my russian paranoia - every time i open a can my precious hand made knife losses 3% of it's condition.  So how am i supposed to get benefits of proclaimed feature  "No calorie loss when smashing open cans."? Am i to drop every metal instrument in  my inventory every time i get hungry or going to cook something by the fire?

By the way there is a similar problem when harvesting maple and birch trees. I do not want use a hatchet by default for this purpose. I have a hacksaw. I love my hacksaw cause it is easily repaired and do not require rare whetstones to get back condition. I want to use my hacksaw to harvest maple and birch by default or at least get an option to do so.

I agree, yes it adds in a few extra clicks to the experience but this game was about making tough decisions and smart sacrifices. 

I also miss the options on how you want to light uour torches, but it does help light them faster i guess in an emergency. Also there should be a way to select our default struggle weapon so it doesnt always go into that slow moion menu.

This is a known issue awaiting a fix. It's not an intentional change to game mechanics.  

However, since it's on the table, is really like to see a feature added that "remembers" our last choice of tool for a particular job, and defaults to that.

16 hours ago, TROY said:

This is a known issue awaiting a fix. It's not an intentional change to game mechanics.

But taking away our ability to choose which tool to use (or none) when we opened a can was an intentional change. One I objected loudly to when it first happened. And I still want that ability to make our own choice given back to us.

17 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Also there should be a way to select our default struggle weapon so it doesnt always go into that slow moion menu.

Heck yes.. why do Hinterland keep adding immersion-breakers to the game, instead of taking them away?

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

But taking away our ability to choose which tool to use (or none) when we opened a can was an intentional change. One I objected loudly to when it first happened. And I still want that ability to make our own choice given back to us.

I can't prove it, because all post that were made on test branch discussion threads are gone, or hidden, and cant be found:

I recall reporting this in the test branch discussions, and was specifically told by a staff member that it was an unintentional side affect of something else, and they were working on a fix for it.  Thats all I can tell ya. If it IS intentional, its moronic.

Marginally related, I'd love to have the option of tossing my tinder bundles into the fire for an extra 1-2 minutes of flame.   After Fire Making skill gets up to 3, all the tinder options in the game essentially become clutter.   If we could burn newspapers, tinder bundles, cattail heads, birch bark,  etc., it would give them a reason to continue to exist.

Or, optionally or additionally, maybe continuing to use Tinder after you no longer need to use tinder would give a small 5-10% bonus to get the fire going.

Please "swipe right" on my Tinder idea.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:08 AM, TROY said:

I recall reporting this in the test branch discussions, and was specifically told by a staff member that it was an unintentional side affect of something else, and they were working on a fix for it.  Thats all I can tell ya. If it IS intentional, its moronic.

If that's the case, I hope it's still being "worked on"..

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't agree with it more.  I wish it would default to smashing the can open if you don't have a can opener and have 3+ cooking skill.  I'd even be okay with an option to choose each time we open it and don't have a can opener in our bag - either knife/hatchet or smash.

• 3 months later...
On 11/08/2017 at 7:24 AM, cullam said:

Yeah. I'd really like to see tinder continue to have some marginal function. Because it starts out as an essential component, but is readily available. So you end up with absolutely nothing to do with it all. 

Tinder is somewhat useful for dropping as markers to find your way to POI's in heavy fog.

I always found it odd that the devs seemingly just took it out of the game; I'm pretty sure that Patrick stated a long time ago that they would be re-implementing the mechanic into the Long Dark, but I guess that's not the case 

Would it be harder than simply having a button? It could be similar to the current Wolf Struggle interface that shows all of the options available to the player, and it wouldn't be a hard mechanic to implement. It's just a bizarre hole in the game that the devs never bothered to fill :(

Yeah, what ever happened to that mechanic? Why would you disable a perfectly logical and working feature that made everyone's lives easier. Also if you hold an unlit  torch and miss a stick (fail to pick up) you ruin one match. Not a problem for me as I no longer equip unlit torches but I have counted this one poor bloke's wasted matches during his let's plays - 26!  Stuff like this should really get fixed.

Archived