I am now hunting wolves, and winning

ark1of712

Well I'd say let's just wait it out for now and wait till after the next update, maybe there's already new predators included. :) Other than that, once there is the option to fight wolves with hatchets, I would not mind a change to the wolf AI. But right now, I'm fine with how things work.

• 3 weeks later...

I kill most of the wolves with just one knife hit, sometimes i need two hits. A wolf costs me so around 20% health, and sometimes i go for the second or even the third wolf too spare me the bandages and antiseptics. But even that is unnecessary because i have around 60 kg clothing and 40 clothes for bandages and repairs and 6-8 bottles of antiseptic.

Well, I once got kind of bored since the current version of the game is too easy, so I started playing with two wolves running around my front porch. They can't access the porches in front of some of the new houses right now. Playing means I watched them and went back and forth to see how close I can get before they "jump" over the fence. Eventually they did, both at the same time. That means, apparently I got too close to them. While they were still on the other side of the fence, the game interpreted this as being close enough to trigger a wolf attack, or in this case two wolf attacks at the same time. I was instant death, couldn't even do the minigame anymore.

Oh that's so cool, so it is possible to get mauled by two wolves. Lame way to die though, via clipping issues, but pretty predictable considering the early state of the game.

I suppose it all makes sense though. A wolf doesn't stand much of a chance against a human with an edged weapon, unless it gets the jump on you.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, I have read about the changes and really look forward to trying it out! I'm kind of sad I missed the point where apparently you could walk outside and be mauled by 20 wolves!

I haven't played in awhile as I've been super busy with school (getting my Bsc in a few weeks!) I will need a bit of time to get back to you.

However, your timing in responding to this thread and from what I've heard from others suggest...no, I probably will not still be winning...most of the time.

But hey, since I'll have my Bsc soon I'll use the scientific method and get back to you with my results when I can :)

Are you still hunting wolves, and winning?

No if it is not necessary for survival, you have given me back the respect for the wolves, and this is how it should be.

Thank you, it is now much harder and better. Now you really got to think if you should take the risk and fight or not.

@Barny Is that with your fists or a weapon? And if so which weapon?

Also I think it's pretty ridiculous a wolf or deer can survive a high calibre rifle round. Most things don't get up after having a hole blown through them.

Now if wolves hunted in packs on the other hand...you would be able to put one or two down with your gun, but how long could you hold them off before one got you?

Yes, I am nothing if not relentless. But hey I'm just here to gun for what I want from the game. As I'm sure we all are.

Also I think it's pretty ridiculous a wolf or deer can survive a high calibre rifle round. Most things don't get up after having a hole blown through them.

Now if wolves hunted in packs on the other hand...you would be able to put one or two down with your gun, but how long could you hold them off before one got you?

Yes, I am nothing if not relentless. But hey I'm just here to gun for what I want from the game. As I'm sure we all are.

usually i have a knife in my hand..so yes with a knife or hatchet...whenever i see a wolf i start running..not taking any risks anymore:-P

Hunting is not as easy as hitting your prey and expecting them to fall down dead. It takes great skill to kill something such as a wolf or buck. I think this is pretty well simulated in the game. It enhances the element of tracking to hunting in The Long Dark. It could use some more tuning but that will become more apparent in a few weeks. Honestly, hunting was too easy before. Crosshairs now fixed and one-shot kills removed is making hunting more difficult and skillful. I just wish there was more ammo as I'm not very good at hunting!

I see no problem with the ability to take down a wolf like OP describes. But as the map get bigger u should find urself in a area where there isnt a nearby house u can heal up in. In that case u need to heal up outside.

I have no idea how big the map will get...I read 15 areas are planned (?)...I really hope not all of them has houses in them. Large areas with no safehouses require u to plan for the trip.

@Boreal

You're absolutely right. However, during your great hunting experiences, you've probably noticed that animals don't tend to charge at you teeth bared with god's zest in their jaws when they have had a hole blown in their side.

Unless this became a zombie game when I wasn't looking ;)

Once they're hit 99% of the time that's game over. I don't deny all the skill and knowledge that goes into arriving at that point. I've experienced it myself, and I would never seek to belittle it. I think there's a lot more room for stuff like that in the game, which I'm sure we'll experience as the game develops.

That's why I think the heavenly trinity is things that are immersive AND realistic AND difficult. So that's what I spout with my petulant vigour :)

Archived