I am now hunting wolves, and winning

ark1of712

When I see a wolf and I'm at 100% condition I charge at it and pelt it with one or two fully charged attacks and it dies. Sure sometimes it gets me down to 60 or even 40 percent, but then I just go home and eat all of it and sleep to full condition. I can do this without the hunting rifle spawning on the map and it doesn't cost bullets.

Maybe wolves should hunt in packs, just like they do IRL? I'm totally down with the geomagnetic event changing the animal behaviour to make them really aggressive (it's plain wicked), but I also like the fact that wolves aren't uber monsters. I believe that in real life a fully grown man or woman has a fair chance of beating a wolf one v. one, and you've kept true to that :)

So yeah, to me making wolves hunt in packs would solve this problem. More realism and more difficulty. And both of those things just stoke my fire, ya know?

Well you can only do this so long as you have Antiseptics or Antibiotics.

Also: Having the wolves attack in pairs would make it impossible to survive, unless you had a gun. And I guess the point of the game is not to simply shoot stuff. You could of course replace the wolves by bears that are a little harder to beat and then add wolves that hunt in packs. But for now, a decent middle ground has been found in my opinion.

And yes, charging a wolf is quite common practice. But unless you chase a deer into the wolf before you kill the wolf, you're doing it wrong mate. :) You can get double the meat out of one wolf kill.

I always have lots of antiseptics and anti-biotics, certainly enough to do it 3-4 times.

I disagree, wolves are pretty easy to avoid, having them in pairs or packs would make this a bit more difficult, but as they are now they pose almost no danger and are an easy food source. I think wolves should instill fear, not, OH YAY MORE FOOD.

And damn, that's a good idea. So now I will be herding deer towards wolves who I will then wrestle to death and eat myself.

So I'm not playing as an average-joe crashed pilot, I'm playing as Liam Neeson.

I've managed to pull the chase deer towards wolf, kill wolf trick only once so far. I'm on 11 days now, but I never come across area's where there is both a wolf and a deer (well, except for that one time there was one of each on mystery lake). Anyone got any pointers as to where is a good place to try this? Thanks.

I've never done it but it's pretty easy to chase a deer in a general direction at the lake, you see the deer and wolves from far away.

And yeah, I get the Liam Neeson thing haha, it has it's attractions. I suppose the question is whether this turns into a survival-sim game or a survival-adventure game, and you know what, either way I'll love it. I want it to go one way, others don't, but I know all our feedback will make it a product to behold.

You can not only push deer to wolves, it's actually easier to pull a wolf behind you then arc around a deer so the wolf will jump targets. It's a little riskier, but works better for me. Since wolf behavior seems more predictable than deer behavior. :)

Getting a wolf to kill a deer is no problem for me around the Camp Office.

But I always shoot the wolf before he can attack me. That gives me ca 14 kilo meat, which I store in outside containers (very little degradation), and have ca 6 days worth of food for 1 rifle cartridge.

Flares do not work, once I threw 2 and they all landed short, wolf even inspected them like bait and then kept charging at me. Fighting them hand to hand would be limited by antiseptics (I ever had only 5 or so, including the Preppers Cache).

Well Burning Bridges, you can always fight 2 Wolves and then use 1 Antiseptic. Or fight the wolf, wait till you get the infection, then use antibiotics to get rid of it. Usually when I have 100% condition and enough wood, I fight 2 wolves, then use antiseptic and go to sleep. or go to sleep then use antibiotics and sleep for 12h.

They should increase the randomness of a wolf attack. Maybe some wolves are stronger than others, maybe some will bite faster in vital areas,... This will make a wolf attack possible lethal, and therefore better to avoid unless in very critical situations (e.g. no food left).

And why would we want that? I don't quite see the point. If you are trying to create a reasonably realistic survival simulation, why would we have insta-kill wolves? Additionally, right now besides fighting, there is only one option to get rid of wolves, shooting them, but rifle shoots are severly limited. And even after making knives and hatchets usable to fight wolves, insta-killing is just really not satisfying at all. So I don't quite get why you're even considering this option. :)

ok, let me get back on the assumed reason of this topic. The person starting this topic claims to be able to kill all wolves without using the rifle at all. For him (and me) this is quite unrealistic. For this game to be realistic, hunting wolves should have at least some severe risk - even if you are at 100% condition. That is why I suggested to use some random effects (dice like effect as you will) in order to simulate these risks - because in real life all sorts of things can happen. So when you, at 100 % condition, encounter a wolf, you will think: "oh wait, i'm still at good condition. Why should I risk getting killed (e.g. 1/20 times) when I could try to evade a fight?"

Yeah well, you would not engage in a fight unless you did need the meat. I imagine later in the game there will also be other predators. So I don't mind just yet.

If you want to do this kind of thing, randomize the % of dmg you get per wolf bite, with a chance of receiving a "critical attack" by a wolf, that does double or triple damage. Making the wolves stronger does not solve the problem at all. Especially not when you want to add instant-death. When going for a sandbox run where I want to live 100 days, I will still confront any wolf I see after I chased a deer into it. And I would be annoyed if at day 50 or 60, a wolf crosses my way and ends my run just like that. Poof 12h of work gone just like that. No Sir, not a good idea at all to add that.

ok, let me get back on the assumed reason of this topic. The person starting this topic claims to be able to kill all wolves without using the rifle at all. For him (and me) this is quite unrealistic. For this game to be realistic, hunting wolves should have at least some severe risk - even if you are at 100% condition. That is why I suggested to use some random effects (dice like effect as you will) in order to simulate these risks - because in real life all sorts of things can happen. So when you, at 100 % condition, encounter a wolf, you will think: "oh wait, i'm still at good condition. Why should I risk getting killed (e.g. 1/20 times) when I could try to evade a fight?"

So for some players, the wolves are just to easy to kill. For others however they are already impossible to kill without the rifle. Those people won't be happy if the wolves were to be stronger. Personally I don't think they are to easy as they are, but they could be just a bit tougher but certainly not much.

Also, wolves used to be a lot harder to kill during the early alpha and they have been made easier because they were to much to hard.

So I'm still hearing wolves in packs. Anybody else hear that?

Haha, but seriously, seems to maintain realism and danger at the same time. And I'm digging the post count continuing to rise. Just gonna keep throwing it out there until some moderator or scout blesses us with their presence.

Yeah, 2 wolves attacking you should be a death sentence if you don't have anything to defend yourself with :) Again, I'm not trying to deny that it makes wolves difficult, I'm saying wolves as they are are less than difficult, they're helpful walking meat sacs haha.

Archived