Electricity and generator.

BRAINSTUDIO

It will be interesting if some places can have electricity.

The main houses like hunter, carteer, main camp and expecially bunker

Will have a generator outside and you can have a lot of possibility:

1) it can work well with some % of fuel

2) It can have some % of fuel but need to be repaired

3) Work but not fuel or any case need other fuel (the same of lamp)

4) It stop working because freezing or damaged during use

This about generator but more interesting will be what generator gives to you

1) First switch on the light! Imagine the carteer in the night with light..and imagine that in the middle of a night exploration inside it the light goes down because generator ends fuel…tell me it woldn’t be.. scary!

2) Second..some electric stuff, must important an electric cooker..helpfull to don’t use your fire stuff.

3) Maybe a little help from radio..example some strange message like..”I’m diying I left my rifle on the rail…ro…a… (Even just noise to create atmosphere)

All this things are rare..understand me..finding or repairing a generator will cost you a lot..but if you have it you can enjoi it.

If you can’t use or don’t wanan risk..all remain like now.

i can agree to some extent, i dont know much about emp blasts but that could kill generators too. but would be cool if you could use the propane tanks and logging camp trailers. uses such as heating the indoors or if there was a lil gas stove or something of that nature.

I would agree with gwishades here. I would assume if that geomagnetic event can get a plane down, it would almost certainly fry all electronic devices on the ground, at least within a 50km radius. Propane tanks on the other hand could easily survive such an incident. and most of these heaters simply need an ignition flame to start working.

I guess a diesel generator should still work, so long as it has a simple, non-electronic method of starting it such as a hand crank.

The question really becomes... what can you use the electricity for, assuming you can generate it?

I'm guessing only very simple uses - incandescent lighting, heating elements, really old valve-based equipment and so on.

Anything packed with electronics will be fried, unless it is specifically hardened against EMP, which is likely only going to be military equipment.

I guess a diesel generator should still work, so long as it has a simple, non-electronic method of starting it such as a hand crank.

The question really becomes... what can you use the electricity for, assuming you can generate it?

I'm guessing only very simple uses - incandescent lighting, heating elements, really old valve-based equipment and so on.

Anything packed with electronics will be fried, unless it is specifically hardened against EMP, which is likely only going to be military equipment.

True. incandescent lighting, heating elements will be enought,also a valve radio..

And for cooking maybe we can think about gas (another argument)

Did anyone ever see any other electrical items in the game, other than that one radio in the forestry lookout? Like lamps, refrigerators, radio's, television sets etc?

Just imagine to can light on some red emergency lamp into the dam...for a random amounth of time..

maybe one day open the damn and have a secret location about a discarge door ecc ecc

Generators can give two kind of experience:

1) just atmosphere..lights..sounds from radio..ecc

2) little help or secrets, maybe an emergency room or the ventilation system in the bunker..a secret computer

But always remember to have difficulty and short time to obtain it. This was my original hidea.

Not imagine to enter the damn and switch on the light like at home.

well theres plenty of electronics in the dam. not that they're of any use... this map is kind of an outback holiday location. I wouldn't expect to see a lot of electronic devices there in the first place.

I agree that I don't expect a lot of electronic devices, but my point was that there are none other than the radio in the lookout tower and at the dam. Why would any of the cabins have a generator, if they don't have any electronics that require the power? No electronics -> no generators...

@BRAINSTUDIO I can think of many uses for a generator and many fun ways how this could be implemented in the game. But I also think the absence of generators (or power in general) is not an oversight of the devs, but rather a deliberate choice. They designed this game to be a world without power, that's why there are no generators. And if there had been generators, they would not work, because that's what the devs have envisioned for this game.

True, but maybe they will add a generator if there is a military base in one of the other maps that are still to come. I would not know what to use electricity for in that setting though. Radio is dead, electricity is gone. So why would I want any in the first place, if I have other sources for warmth and light?

About the bunker for example there are few things that i think can be useful.

Light and air recirculation

Is not normal that you mantain the door open to have light.. (sure you can use the lamp but..for how long?)

and if you close it and remain for few days need air

A generator help to become te bunker more than a secret treasure...

As the bunker we will have in other maps, places without windows or other more complex bunker location maybe not random..

and for sure new stuff that can need it.

@BRAINSTUDIO

I still think you did not quite understand the concept of "all electronic devices are broken beyond repair due to a geomagnetic storm". :D

And as far as I know: Prepper's Caches are usually created to be autonomous. Meaning: They do not require anything from the outside to be fully functioning. If you constantly needed to run a generator to get fresh air in, you would have a huge problem staying in there pretty soon. Just saying...

So either there's a generator in some EMP-proof military base or nowhere at all.

It should be remembered that not all generators require an expendable fuel component to function.

There are wind-turbines, hydro turbines, thermoelectric generators and solar panels. Heck, there are even old-fashioned hand or foot-cranked dynamos that could do the job. Admittedly, many of these require some sort of electronics to provide a nice, regulated flow of power, but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that electricity, in limited form, would be available within the game.

It probably wouldn't have any real, practical benefit more than any other source of heating or lighting, and would probably be next to impossible to carry about with you. But it isn't impossible.

You would also be asking to be provided with something that may be possible/available and have it dropped into the game, even though it would not likely have been in the areas prior to the geomagnetic event... If the devs already have something ahead which fits the story mode, you may find an item -- but it's unlikely to be simply dropped in randomly without specific cause.

Don't forget this is just one of many sandbox areas that will be available based on the larger story mode map, so areas that may be lacking some items/activities may possibly appear in other areas -- it will depend on if/how it fits in with the Studio's bigger story picture for the game.

According that is NOT impossible to obtain a sort of electricity, still to dev decide if think about it in next maps.

For sure it will be interesting, about story, maybe some application for survival.

- Lights

- some stuff survived from the EMP

About lights what i noticed is tha you normally have to use the lamp in a very rare case.

If for example the bunker oljed you to have a light will be more interesting.

Well I think you sufficiently made your point. :)

Now let's wait and see what future maps will hold for us. Because with the information we have now, it is pretty much useless to discuss this any further. And perhaps on the new map, there may already be some kind of electronic device.

Archived