Consistent crash in storymode, game unplayable

janz

When the game was still in the last build i posted my issues in this post. Back then i could still play the game in directx9, but since the support for that seems lifted after v1.0, the game is unplayable for me.

When i play story mode the game crashes consistently at the road you reach after the very first wolf encounter. Output log for that is attached below...  I haven´t tried the sandbox after full release yet, but the recent crash log suggests its the same issue as before, some sort of memory leak.

The GPU is a amd radeon hd 6570. Yes, its old, but its still a card that possesses a vram of 2gb and the amd site states that it supports directx11. Other games i own that use directx11 haven´t crashed or anything, so i can´t see any other explanation that the game is the source of the issue rather than the hardware and its drivers.

I´ve been a fan of this game for years, looking forward for story mode for years as well. But if this persist, i´ll have to claim a refund, which would be a massive dissappointment given i think this game being the best of its genre. I hope i at least get a reply from this since last time i posted and emailed support i got no reply, nothing.

Best wishes... 

output_log.txt

Hello,
I was searching the forums because i have exactly the same problem as the OP, the game is crashing and freezing randomly and freezes on loading screen when i try to exit the cave on day 5 of story mode. The graphics card is Radeon HD 6770 with 1 GB of RAM. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. As the OP wrote, playing in DX9 solved this problems, but seems DX9 is no longer supported.

Thank You in advance.

hmm, I´m not an expert, but I play on a much older card of Radeon 5800 series wit 1gb ram. Only medium quality but still fluid fps and w/ out problems. The only crash I had was when I used a flare in a cave. That reminded me on my problems with alien isolation, which crashes everytime the lighting is excessive and of higher quality. Older amd drivers/hardwares seem to have problems with light effects. 

I bet a refund would dissapoint you, because storymode is really nice. Keep in mind the Hinterland staff is really busy at the moment. Hope you´ll get it fixed.

This is happening to me as well on PS4, so I somehow doubt any of your graphics cards are the issue unless they released it on PS4 and it can not handle it either, which considering the overall graphics would be very surprising. I keep losing progress etc and hope this gets fixed SOON. PlayStation Store does not do refunds so will really be upset if I bought a game that is unplayable for a long time. Sony says with the error code given to update the game, which I have done and checked again.

@ June and Kityahra: I do not know anything about software development but it´s clear to me that the problem is not that the graphics card is to weak or anything.  I don ´t get any fps drops or stutter, everything runs smooth and fine, then i get a total unresponsive freeze all of the sudden. Lighting might be a thing though, cause the crash seems more frequent if a lit torch is carried.  Anyways, of all the output.txt I´ve read after I´ve  had a crash one line is consistent:

Internal: JobTempAlloc has allocations that are more than 4 frames old - this is not allowed and likely a leak

A memory leak would make total sense since the crashes only happens when i move from an indoor to an outdoor environment ( if a torch is lit indoors before exiting, the problem seems to get worse) or if I´m moving trough the landscape i e traveling.  In these situations a lot of objects and textures gets loaded and unloaded. If the GPU for some reasons fails to unload these packages, memory eventually runs out and crash occurs. It wouldn't  surprise me one bit if something similar is happening with the PS4 builds, but that´s me purely speculating.

@ justsomeguy: I feel your pain brother! ;)  I was a bit worried that i was one of very few and my query would be ignored, but it seems that many have these issue as well so lets hope for the best and don´t give Hinterland to much slander.... yet :P

17 hours ago, janz said:

robi, paste your output.txt in the post, otherwise its impossible to tell what´s wrong.

Here's my output log. Although the first patch solved the issue and I can play the game in DX9 again, I would like to know the cause of the DX11 freezing problems so i could experience the game in DX11. Thanks.

output_log.txt

Yeah robi, your output log suggest the very same problem that i´m experiencing. Now that there´s a fix allowing the use of DX9, i can actually play the game. Yay! Some textures are a bit wonky, but hey, not the end of the world...

I found Thrasador´s post in this other thread  to be very informative about the problem. Seems like there´s a bug in Unity causing it. So Hinterland needs to address Unity to fix the bug or maybe just port to a newer version of it. Either way, Hinterland is of the hook in my book. Poor buggers, can´t be fun having game breaking bug pissing of customers just as you launch your pet project you´ve been working on for years and years :pwew:

Yea, there seems to be a few graphical glithes when playing it in DX9, but nothing radical. For me its grass textures and shadows seem to flicker from time to time.

Anyway, thank you for your response, Janz, I've read Thrasadors thread and I hope the devs fix this memory leak issue so that we can enjoy the game in it's full beauty. :)

This thread is probably dead by know, but i´ll give it a shot anyway....

Is there anyone out there still experiencing crashes in dx11 but not in dx9? Patch notes for patch 2 speaks of memory optimizations to reduce crashes due to memory leaks. But i experience no change, still a lot of crashes, especially when moving between outdoor and indoor environments. 

On 8/2/2017 at 2:19 PM, Kityarah said:

This is happening to me as well on PS4, so I somehow doubt any of your graphics cards are the issue unless they released it on PS4 and it can not handle it either, which considering the overall graphics would be very surprising. I keep losing progress etc and hope this gets fixed SOON. PlayStation Store does not do refunds so will really be upset if I bought a game that is unplayable for a long time. Sony says with the error code given to update the game, which I have done and checked again.

Xbox1 is the same way. Constantly crashing. Mostly when leaving buildings, especially when leaving Grey Lady's.  Very frustrating considering you never know how far back you will have to start over.  I am actually supprised the forums don't have a separate console area for bugs, patches, etc.

Archived