How do you like it so far?

randomsurvivor

On 8/1/2017 at 8:20 PM, June said:

You guys are giving up fast. I can see the problem here, but why so angry and whiney? If the gamepad doesn´t work, try the keyboard and vise versa? Disable Steam updates. Fiddle with options. Etc. There´ll sure be a solution soon, no need to blame anyone? Good night for now, I can see your frustration, but I´m sure it´ll be fine by tomorrow. o7

See in my case, I'm not physical able to use their wolf struggle or the first thing you have to do in the game as it stands.  Since they're previous set up in survival mode so I could do those things its disappointing that they decided for story mode it wasn't important enough to include us and changed it.  I don't think this is a glitch, because its totally unlike that weird glitch that showed up in survival. I think its a decision they made - a disappointing one but its a change they chose to make. Its not a matter of giving up too quickly - its a matter of not being able to even get into the game.  I had been very much looking forward to this too, it looks lovely.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jolan said:

See in my case, I'm not physical able to use their wolf struggle or the first thing you have to do in the game as it stands.  Since they're previous set up in survival mode so I could do those things its disappointing that they decided for story mode it wasn't important enough to include us and changed it.  I don't think this is a glitch, because its totally unlike that weird glitch that showed up in survival. I think its a decision they made - a disappointing one but its a change they chose to make. Its not a matter of giving up too quickly - its a matter of not being able to even get into the game.  I had been very much looking forward to this too, it looks lovely.

I'm confused as to the main topic of your post?

Are you referring to wolf struggle clicking?

If so are you playing on Steam, and do you own a gamepad?

On 8/3/2017 at 2:34 PM, L² said:

I find the release to be fun and challenging.  Unfortunately, my over zealousness has lead to a few issues with quests...word to the wise, don't go taking things that seem like they might have a story line associated with them.

For example,

Reveal hidden contents

do not take the Safe Deposit box keys from the Miller farm until Grey Mother tells you to go find it.

This might get fixed, but in case it doesn't right away, you're stuck.

Three restarts to work around other issues and 30+ total hours of gameplay into the story and I'm stuck with this issue in Episode 2.   I find it hard to believe that the devs didn't know this would happen -- this is just like the rose hips in the tutorial, and they could not be picked until we were on the right story step.   Except the only-for-one-story-step items can be picked up at any time in Episode 1 & 2 too, and picking them up early does break your story.   Incidentally, they look exactly like the notes and keys that trigger side quests.  Beware!

No way am I playing another minute of the story before this is fixed.  It's simply a bad investment of time.

Can we please patch the wolves in Story mode so they spawn and despawn the way they do in Sandbox?

Wolves you kill in Story mode seem to randomly despawn if you quit out of the game and reload. They despawn whether you harvested them or not...or left a gut or meat on them.

The wolves also immediately respawn alive if you kill them and then quit and reload or sleep. It is really unbalanced and unfair, as there is no way to thin the herd of wolves even for a day. There is no point in killing them and wasting ammo or item condition if they don't stay dead for at least a day or two.

Story mode is basically The Long Dark: Splinter Cell mode. I don't want to play a total stealth avoidance wolf game. I actually like thinning a few out if there are too many....which there often are. Especially by the Gas Station and the Farm in Episode 1...

On August 4, 2017 at 6:07 AM, VinceCgto said:

I'm quite certain the urn is not accessible before the quest starts. When playing, I visited the farm before the quest and specifically tried the urn because it seemed to stand out, but I wasn't able to interact with it....

Absolutely correct...I was wrong and mistakenly thought there was an issue, when the issue was me.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:07 PM, Thrasador said:

I'm confused as to the main topic of your post?

Are you referring to wolf struggle clicking?

If so are you playing on Steam, and do you own a gamepad?

And the opening sequence.  I don't have a game pad, but Timber Wolf has offered to walk me thru getting a good one and setting up.  So yay!  I have great hopes this will work out.  And maybe I can use it on other games I've given up on. :)

19 minutes ago, Jolan said:

And the opening sequence.  I don't have a game pad, but Timber Wolf has offered to walk me thru getting a good one and setting up.  So yay!  I have great hopes this will work out.  And maybe I can use it on other games I've given up on. :)

Yes, I was going to say if you get a wired PS4 controller(what I use) or a wired XBOX 360 or XBOX One controller....it is supported in Steam Big Picture mode. I say wired because they are cheaper and immediately recognized through the USB connection. Wireless is a little more difficult to set up. You can pretty much use any gamepad I think....but I have a PS4 so I already had a controller obviously....

If you do that, you can just go into the controller set up via Steam and change the struggle tap button to turbo mode. Then you just hold down the struggle button and it automatically taps and fills the bar up in about 2 or 3 seconds for you....

I guess that is sort of cheating...but if you have carpal tunnel and repetitive tapping hurts then you gotta do what you gotta do, lol....

I think it is absolutely excellent (TLD itself, and Wintermute in particular) and rarely has in-game artwork been so good (and not sentimental). The game play is thrilling, it's open enough to mess around a little, and you can influence the storyline. You can also sometimes miss something (so no major "I'm stuck cos I missed a little darn clue about 5 episodes ago). I really really dig it. Though if you've gotten about 250+ hrs of Survival Mode under your belt, there is a bit too much junk around for it to be tough. Then again, those wolves...

On 8/4/2017 at 8:56 PM, Jolan said:

Sorry for not replying earlier, I just noticed your post.   I might have a solution if you are a PC user to work around the struggle mechanic.

On PC I use an AutoHotkey script for "autowalk," due to a recurring RSI in my W finger -- you can find it here.  (Use JAFO's version, since it has the standard key mappings.)  For struggles I normally just mash the left mouse button with both hands (I'm classy that way), but it's also possible with autohotkey to send the left mouse click over and over when you hold down a key.

So I wrote a script for struggles and tested it on a couple volunteer wolves, seems to work fine.

To run the script, you'll need to install the AutoHotkey software.  It's good stuff -- safe & reliable, doesn't run unless it needs to, and very light on computer resources when it is running.  You can download it here.  

The "left clicker" script is attached below, click to download.  I leave mine on my desktop.

Before I run TLD I double click the script and it fires up AutoHotkey in the background and starts the script.  (The script only works if The Long Dark is the active program, so no need to worry about it interfering with other software.)  Then I run TLD.

When a struggle happens, just mouse over the weapon you want to use and hold down the F2 button.

left clicker.ahk

I'm in episode 2 and my motivation is waning. It's a brilliant game, but the Jeremiah missions have me a little burned out. I am not a fan of the "gather x for person y" missions. 

I also severely mismanaged my inventory for a bit so it's a struggle to live for even a little bit without the risk of hunger/thirst/hypothermia .

I guess that's kind of the point, no? Maybe that's the genius of it. 

12 minutes ago, Stanimal032 said:

I'm in episode 2 and my motivation is waning. It's a brilliant game, but the Jeremiah missions have me a little burned out. I am not a fan of the "gather x for person y" missions. 

I also severely mismanaged my inventory for a bit so it's a struggle to live for even a little bit without the risk of hunger/thirst/hypothermia .

I guess that's kind of the point, no? Maybe that's the genius of it. 

But what obstacles does the world put in your way as you carry out this task? What diversion draws your eye and sees you wander off your chosen path? These are all things we hope players pursue as well!

6 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

So I wrote a script for struggles and tested it on a couple volunteer wolves, seems to work fine.

To run the script, you'll need to install the AutoHotkey software.  It's good stuff -- safe & reliable, doesn't run unless it needs to, and very light on computer resources when it is running.  You can download it here.  

The "left clicker" script is attached below, click to download.  I leave mine on my desktop.

Hey thanks! This last week I've been messing with autoclicker scripts for AutoHotkey.. with mixed results. I look forward to giving yours a shot.

On 8/1/2017 at 7:59 PM, June said:

Can´t say much for consoles, because playing on PC. Everything´s fine here. As for the Audio: that´s intended. Can´t expect everything to be voiced, come on. Hinterland is still a small studio. I´m very very pleased by what I saw so far <3

I'm sure they can pull it off. Maybe long term, but in the end. They can do anything. :)

On 8/11/2017 at 5:05 PM, Ruruwawa said:

Sorry for not replying earlier, I just noticed your post.   I might have a solution if you are a PC user to work around the struggle mechanic.

On PC I use an AutoHotkey script for "autowalk," due to a recurring RSI in my W finger -- you can find it here.  (Use JAFO's version, since it has the standard key mappings.)  For struggles I normally just mash the left mouse button with both hands (I'm classy that way), but it's also possible with autohotkey to send the left mouse click over and over when you hold down a key.

Before I run TLD I double click the script and it fires up AutoHotkey in the background and starts the script.  (The script only works if The Long Dark is the active program, so no need to worry about it interfering with other software.)  Then I run TLD.

When a struggle happens, just mouse over the weapon you want to use and hold down the F2 button.

left clicker.ahk

So it basically auto-spams the button? Cool! I wonder what other not-so-cheaty-but-helpful tools you can come up with...

On 8/12/2017 at 7:05 AM, Ruruwawa said:

it's also possible with autohotkey to send the left mouse click over and over when you hold down a key.

I liked the results myself, so, in order that I only have to launch one script, I merged it with your Autowalk script:

; Autowalk & RapidClicker for The Long Dark
; To cancel autowalk hit the (autowalk) key again, or press w, s, (inventory), (radial) or (clothing)

; Send left mouse button clicks by holding down a key
; Hold F2 down to send a left mouse click every 50 millisecond.  Release F2 to stop sending clicks.

#SingleInstance Force
#IfWinActive ahk_exe tld.exe   ; works only when TLD is the active window

F2::	; hold down 'F2' for wolf struggle
	While GetKeyState("F2", "P") {
		Click
		Sleep 50
	}
	Return

q::  ; KEYBIND Autowalk
	SendInput % "{w " ( (autowalk:=!autowalk) ? "down" : "up" ) "}" 
	Return

#if autowalk   ; PERFORMANCE capture these keystrokes only when autowalk is active
w::
s::
; TAB::      ; KEYBIND information
i::      ; KEYBIND inventory
c::        ; KEYBIND clothing
	SendInput {%A_ThisHotkey%}
	autowalk:=0
	SendInput {w up}
	Return
Space::        ; KEYBIND Radial menu
	autowalk:=0
	SendInput {w up}
	SendInput {%A_ThisHotkey% down}
	Return

#if

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2017 at 6:05 PM, Ruruwawa said:

left clicker.ahk

Works for every TLD version?

21 hours ago, Hawk said:

Including XP?

You're still using XP? Well, I won't tell you all the reasons you shouldn't be.. you've probably heard them all before*. I'm more than a little surprised by your... umm..  implication that TLD runs on XP though.

Anyway, while I don't currently have an XP install to test with, AutoHotKey has been around since 2003, so I'd say yes, it very probably does. In any case, there's only one way to know for sure.. give it a try and see.. and please let us know how it goes!

Edit:
* Nevermind.. I saw your post in the 'crashing' thread.. you clearly know what you're doing.. carry on!

4 hours ago, Hawk said:

AHK works great on XP.

Excellent! I had a feeling it would, but ya never know 'til you give it a go.

4 hours ago, Hawk said:

I'm using your AutoWalk script Jafo. Love it. Thank you! :)

You're welcome, but all the credit has to go to @Ruruwawa. All I did was disable his custom TAB keybinding, and merge two of his scripts into one.

(I actually investigated several autowalk scripts people have made for AHK.. Ruruwawa's was the best and most elegantly coded of them all)

so i've played through ep 1 to the point where i'm finally dealing with the bear.  the thought of having to trek around to six locations and shoot him has sent me back to sandbox mode.  it's just taken too long to get through the basic stuff and so much of story revolves around doing/redoing really basic things and now i've got to do this stupid bear hunt to move forward. yuck.

• 1 month later...
On 20.10.2017 at 9:50 PM, tsrs said:

the thought of having to trek around to six locations and shoot him has sent me back to sandbox mode. 

You realize that this questline is a wink to all pre-alpha player who enjoyed The Hunted sandbox challenge, one of the toughest and most memorable challenges, especially Part 1. The quest is pretty much the same as Part 2 of this challenge.

Archived