randomsurvivor

How do you like it so far?

7 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

I really hope they can at some point.

It would be so chilling to just hear a rifle shot from miles away while wandering the great expanse, or finding a NPC has occupied a building.

I think it would be cool to be able to barter with NPC's in sandbox. 

9 minutes ago, Pasquinel said:

I think it would be cool to be able to barter with NPC's in sandbox. 

Agree.

Love the Aurora, it's such a piece of art and suits the environment perfectly. But the glowing wolves feel a little too alien for the game. I understand that Hinterland isn't attempting to recreate accurate wildlife behavior. But glowing wolves?

screen_ef5b7112-820e-4e41-b415-fc62e3499004_hi.png

• Upvote 1

I find the release to be fun and challenging.  Unfortunately, my over zealousness has lead to a few issues with quests...word to the wise, don't go taking things that seem like they might have a story line associated with them.

For example,

do not take the Safe Deposit box keys from the Miller farm until Grey Mother tells you to go find it.

This might get fixed, but in case it doesn't right away, you're stuck.

Edited by L²
Marked out potential spoiler...

On 2017-08-02 at 3:25 PM, Thrasador said:

Still though, that broke the game for you?

What about cured items not weighing less than uncured items? I find that waaaaay more frustrating than the two points you brought up...

Game developers have to take creative license as we all know, to feed us knowledge and to also make things more difficult and challenging or even to make things easier. For instance I don't think I'd be trying to make whole pieces of leather out of existing shoes irl lol, or even trying to harvest carcasses, hell even Christopher McCandless couldn't harvest a bear carcass properly. I like though, that when we do make leather out of shoes that the leather is way lighter. When things aren't quite right in a game that I love, I make it right in my mind. I told myself that the crash fires were too hot and too dangerous to get near and that I had to escape them into the cave....where it was colder again :D and so I had to make my own, more trustworthy fire.

Edited by SnowWalker
  • Upvote 1

Just a small correction here but the grammar in this frame is bad even for Canadians... ;)

20170803164008_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, L² said:

For example, do not take the Safe Deposit box keys from the Miller farm until Grey Mother tells you to go find it.

Oh god, I hope you're not talking about that 'Sunshine' farm, or whatever it's called....because I went there before I went into Milton. I had circled way around the wolves near the second bridge and found the farm. I don't think I ever found a safe deposit key there though. The only keys I found there were the house keys and the keys for the box that was inside of the office at the farmhouse. Although I do know now about something else about this farm that I shouldn't know yet, but I do, lol.

Edited by SnowWalker

So are there saplings? I haven't seen any...

Can you make a bow?

Is there a fishing hut?

I ask because other than finding already dead deer and stoning bunnies, I think I saw a snare.....but how do we get enough food to stay alive.

Normally I would start on a bow ASAP, so I have a way to get food...

2 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

So are there saplings?

I have found a Maple sapling, and an arrow head.....

13 minutes ago, Pasquinel said:

Just a small correction here but the grammar in this frame is bad even for Canadians... ;)

20170803164008_1.jpg

If you see issues like this in the game, the most helpful thing to do is to log it in our JIRA database here (if you haven't already) https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/projects/TLDP/issues/TLDP-2949?filter=allopenissues

That way the team can get a fix in as quickly as possible! Thank you. 

1 minute ago, Patrick Carlson said:

If you see issues like this in the game, the most helpful thing to do is to log it in our JIRA database here (if you haven't already) https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/projects/TLDP/issues/TLDP-2949?filter=allopenissues

That way the team can get a fix in as quickly as possible! Thank you. 

Hi Patrick.

I have tried to post there but for some reason after I complete filling in the information in the box and click "create" nothing happens. The Form Box stays open and the ticket never posts. I'm using Safari on a Mac.

I don't understand why stuff from episode 1 isn't carried to episode 2. If this is going to remain the case I am not sure I want to play as it will piss me off....

What triggers episode 2? When does it begin?

Are you better off not looting buildings in episode 1, or does all the loot refresh in episode 2?

Honestly I thought the episodes would be continuous until you finish all the episodes, and at that point you have the option of using Will or Astrid in the Sandbox and continue your adventure.

If everything is separated and disconnected like individual challenges, then what's the point?

They are just more challenges.....not a story. The stories should be continuing your adventure, not starting each story as a separate entity.

This concept has been present since Sierra's Quest for Glory Series of games where you could import your character from the previous game in the series.

All they have to do is save your character sheet/journal/inventory  (basically your save game) and import it at the start of the next episode....

10 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I don't understand why stuff from episode 1 isn't carried to episode 2.

I kept my stuff somehow, but I played through till a save in Season 2.

• Upvote 1

I'm having a pretty good time with it. I have noticed a handful of bugs, most of which have already been reported. (By the way, the bug reporting site kinda sucks. It'd be nice if people could +1 a bug to show that it happens to more than one person without having to repost the same bug.) I even noticed what I think is a typo that I've reported. In the dialogue with Grey Mother after finding "Perseverance."  I also agree with what some other folks have said here:  smashing the mouse button in struggles is a little harder than it needs to be. There really should be some chance of success. There is a marked difference when using a weapon though, so maybe the difficulty when barehanded is intentional. All in all, still pretty fun.

17 minutes ago, Mpat120 said:

I kept my stuff somehow, but I played through till a save in Season 2.

Oh so is it just if you start Episode 2 separately after finishing Episode 1? Otherwise if I play through it continues? 

1 minute ago, Thrasador said:

Oh so is it just if you start Episode 2 separately after finishing Episode 1? Otherwise if I play through it continues?

That may be the case. I have not tried to start them separately, I just went from one to the next till I saved.

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2017 at 7:47 AM, The Wanderer said:

I like playing on the easiest setting in sandbox. I personally love the whole wandering about and just exploring thing. Makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. I tried it on the harder levels. Cursed wolves every damn time! Made me wanna kick every dog I saw! So, I put it on whatever this game calls rookie and proceeded to hunt and fish. I did okay. I'd take a tumble now and then. Maybe get a boo-boo or two when I didn't pay attention. Never got cabin fever or gut rot. Crafting on crappy days, or maybe out in a fishhut. Finally got the update to trigger, story mode here I come! 

First thing I noticed was the lack of a coward setting. So, knowing full well the neighbors, and their lovely huskie are away, I ventured on. Now in sandbox I've lit many fires. Indoors, outdoors, the whole shabang. Not once, in sandbox, did I set myself on fire. But low and behold, twice! Yeah, I'll admit it, I set myself on fire, twice. Plus in the process of attempting to heal myself of my burns, I used up all the antibiotics thinking that's the little bottles of pills it's showing in the status screen. Poor Will, I never got to know you at all. A discrete ceremony was held for him that seemed mired by the profanity I was spewwing at the time.

Round two, I started better AND I got to see, Will, pull that metal outta his hand again! How badass is that, huh? Guy barely grunts with a knife through his hand. I nearly crap myself when I cut my neck shaving. Well, only when it's close to the vein. Anyway, I'm doing well, wake up, and boom, I've somehow set myself on fire again. That just happened to occur as I was feeling the effects of nicotine withdraw. I made up a couple of new, let's call them swear-curses. Just for Will, so his little digital heart could feel the love. He would not meet his fate like neoWill, I calmed down. I vowed to respect digital fire as much as I respect the real thing. Concentrate damn you! Don't wander away to your shiny place.

I'm doing well now. I found the Zen in it. Twist my ancle climbing, okay seems to have been scripted in, fine. Opens up the whole tea thing, good. Make the tea and yep, burnt again. Moving on, I make extra tea and bandages. Seems I'll need them. I don't understand why, I don't. I just can't under... I smoke. I use fire everyday but somehow... Forget it, whatever right? The journey continues, won't survive overthinking things. I do my climb. Found some frozen clothes, a snack here and there, a ton of rosehips, some decent wood. Well, Will's, cold and thirsty and I have to thaw those frozen clothes somehow. That time I'm pretty sure I didn't burn myself. 

What I did do is take too long. I spent so much time thawing out the clothes that it was starting to get dark. So, I start hoofing it to make up for lost time. Right into an encounter with a wolf. It was of course dark now and the torch was starting to sputter. I backed off, found a way around it and he seemed more interested in the deer carcase so off I went. It's pitch black now and I need a torch. The fire gets built and I grab a torch. Next wolf encounter happens and I take a hit. I got away, but not unscathed, minor stuff. By this time I'm really missing my coward difficulty setting. I'm also really smack talking the wolves, 'cause they're total jerks. It's so black now that I walked into car, before I could even see it. And I hear that wolf I stabbed, but somehow didn't kill, from somewhere behind me. I get in the car and I can't see a damn thing, inside or out. I wait and listen for Wolfy-McBleedy-Neck (yeah I named him, so what?) to leave. It's cold in that car! Will, is freezing his man bits off. I have to build a fire. That moment, that precious moment, is when I discovered I was out of wood.

Oh the swearing that took place just after that precious moment. It made people knock on the door to the den. I swore at them as well. The thirteen year old took it like a champ. She called me a jerk and said to play a different game for awhile. I grounded her and hid her phone, so she would understand my frustration. She doesn't. Back to the game. I make a dash to what I was hoping to be another car, while looking for wood, while listening to some inmate scream about a phone, in the dark. It wasn't a car. I don't have a clue what it was. I ran off of what I have to assume was a cliff. I think I fell but it was so dark I really have no way to know. I was just glad I didn't go by fire.

This had me snorting beer out my nose, well done, have a like.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, starfighter441 said:

This had me snorting beer out my nose, well done, have a like.

I saw a guy doing a playthrough of the beginning of Wintermute like this yesterday....

Basically if you place the fire too close to the green moss in the cave, I guess that you are sleeping on, then you wake up the next day standing in the campfire.....over....and over.....and over...

The solution is basically to either put the fire in the back of the cave or further towards the front....just don't put it right next to the bed.

Hinterland could easily patch this by not making the fire place-able in the location where you wake up between days in the cave....

Just red that area out...it would ease a lot of misery for slower players...

It was this guy:

If you are a The Long Dark Veteran....this is hard to watch, I would advise you not to actually. By the two hour mark watching this video had already given me an ulcer, a minor heart attack, and two aneurysms...

The part where he wastes all his wood in fires, not next to a car where he could sleep, but in the middle of the road. Then he pulls like 12 torches out of a fire and continues to light them and put them out over and over again until he gets to Milton.

Immediately before getting to Milton he relights four used up torches, only to throw them all on the ground afterwards because they were used up, but he kept them in his inventory and relit them all....

I snapped my phone in half.....

Update: I think one of the patch notes said they fixed the fire in the cave burning alive issue....

I wonder if this post brought it to their attention, or someone bug reported it....?

Edited by Thrasador
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pasquinel said:

20170803164008_1.jpg

Hmm... I see that Grey Mother has looted a RCAF Station, ( Comox I suspect)  given that I have only ever seen that colour of Hudson's Bay  blankets on them. 

You'd spend bloody hours trying to get the red lint off of your uniform...

Edited by starfighter441
Oldtimers syndrome...
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mpat120 said:

Eye Bleach Stat!

Yeah it was horrifying...

I was yelling at my phone for 5 hours straight yesterday...

My girlfriend and her cats were not pleased....

49 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Yeah it was horrifying...

It was as much hilarious to me as it was horrifying to you.  Glad I can laugh at stuff like that instead of getting mad.   That first walk to Milton is pretty challenging for a brand new player especially since the timing of it seems to end up being at night with wolves to avoid.  I made it without dying or getting attacked only because of months of survival mode training!

4 hours ago, Pasquinel said:

There's quite a few grammar and spelling mistakes in the game, and I'm only mid-way through ep1. I'm considering offering my services as a proofreader to Hinterland.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Packet802 said:

It was as much hilarious to me as it was horrifying to you.  Glad I can laugh at stuff like that instead of getting mad.   That first walk to Milton is pretty challenging for a brand new player especially since the timing of it seems to end up being at night with wolves to avoid.  I made it without dying or getting attacked only because of months of survival mode training!

Did you watch every minute of it like I did...

He wasn't just bad at the game because it was his first time playing....that excuses about 50% of what he did wrong. It still doesn't explain him lighting 8 matches to see in houses, when he has a storm lantern in his inventory and found a jerry can with fuel in it....

A lot of the things he did were due to just lacking common sense. Like not pressing the arrow to increase water he is boiling. Not pressing the arrow to put the vest on and the jacket over it. He actually did manage to do that at one point in the church, but then a wolf ate him and he didn't do it again until the farm an hour later. Then he tore it up two minutes after that, along with his second hat, and his only pair of wool socks... because they are slightly heavier than gym socks...

So lack of experience with The Long Dark....yes definitely, he said this was his first time playing ever...

Lack of common sense or basic intelligence.....also yes definitely.

He fought two wolves with a prybar, even though he had the metal shard and a hatchet....

In a survival scenario if a wolf tried to eat you...wouldn't you try murdering it, if it was murdering you....or would you just hit it with a metal bar?

Even if he just let the game pick the weapon in the wolf fights he would have been better off....he actively "chose" the prybar....twice. This probably would have gone on if his viewers didn't yell at him...

Edited by Thrasador

13 hours ago, L² said:

I find the release to be fun and challenging.  Unfortunately, my over zealousness has lead to a few issues with quests...word to the wise, don't go taking things that seem like they might have a story line associated with them.

For example, do not take the Safe Deposit box keys from the Miller farm until Grey Mother tells you to go find it.

This might get fixed, but in case it doesn't right away, you're stuck.

I'm quite certain the urn is not accessible before the quest starts. When playing, I visited the farm before the quest and specifically tried the urn because it seemed to stand out, but I wasn't able to interact with it.

By the way, +1 for NPCs living their own life in the sandbox. I'd love to get invested in an NPC that would, for example, come back after a hunt each day. Then, one day that just stops, and when you go to investigate, you find a wolf munching on his body..

• Upvote 2