How do you like it so far?

randomsurvivor

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That comment up there that was rude....was rude, but it made me chuckle because it reminded me of a long time ago in WoW...

"Ok, bye....can I have all your stuff?"

That was the common chat reply to anyone complaining, who said they were fed up and quitting WoW due to being griefed or something.

Getting griefed is my primary motivation to NOT play anything that isn't a single player game anymore.

Other people are typically terrible anywhere you go in the gaming world (and in real life in general, now that I think about it). It is best to play alone, despite it being lonely sometimes....you'll probably be happier in the long run...

I really enjoyed it, cant decide whether to go on to ep2 or replay1 as the patch will have solved missing dialogue I hope, I put on subtitles because of sound problems I found the music way too loud, I couldnt hear what mother was saying because of the music, also hearing wolves when they wernt around, at the church especially! 

So much loot! so many rosehips and omb think someone went a tiny bit overboard.

I regret to say that I gave up after a few in-game days. The game is easy, insanely slow and tedious. I'm just tired of fetching stuff in exchange for "knowledge" and looting a never-ending supply of drawers and cabinets. The real value of TLD is in the Sandbox/Survival Mode, and that's where you'll find me.

21 hours ago, Zer0beaT said:

This 9 hour fire thing seems like a bad idea to me as far as attracting new players. I haven't played this game in a long time but really enjoyed survival mode for a while a long time ago. But requiring players to sit there and stare at a fire (if they can figure out that's what they're supposed to do, i only know because I logged in here and read a bit) for what...2 hours or something real time? Doesn't seem like a great way to start a game....

You shouldn't have to. The trick is that you have to save your wood and the books in the crate and add it all at once so the fire has a 9 hour lifespan from the start. Making a 5 hour fire and then adding 4 more hours of wood when it's close to dying won't work. When you do it right, he will go to sleep and it will cutscene to the next day. Made the same mistake myself.  

1 hour ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

We have a new map from the story for the sandbox mode. Do we also have the Milton Mills Map ? Is it hidden for the selection while starting a new game ?

I don't believe the Milton Mills map is available yet.

However, it is still within the game (you just can't play there in sandbox).

I hope they bring it to the Sandbox soon along with NPCs within the Sandbox.

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

I don't believe the Milton Mills map is available yet.

However, it is still within the game (you just can't play there in sandbox).

I hope they bring it to the Sandbox soon along with NPCs within the Sandbox.

Thanks.

Thanks, I wonder if the NPCs will do anything in the sandbox, as walking, eat, drink, hunt, sleep, initiate interactions with us, etc...

I don't know how Hinterland could implement that, I simply doubt they can make it.

I uit is just a question to have lethargic NPCs, doing nothing and not having any impact into the world (moving, consumming anything, hunting, fishing, anything, etc...), I don't see the point to have them into the sandbox. 

I wish they could have a complex life, just like us, and we could interact with them, give/ask supplies (trade) in function of their personnalities (in funtion of the confiance level). I wish I could hunt with someone. For NPC, I wish they could be as like us, with clothing decay, hunger/thirst, fatigue, etc...

Like we can see in the game ''Skyrim'' (NPC eating, buying stuffs at the market, etc..), NPC have their personal life.

Just the fact to walk near another character would be great !

3 minutes ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Thanks, I wonder if the NPCs will do anything in the sandbox, as walking, eat, drink, hunt, sleep, initiate interactions with us, etc...

I don't know how Hinterland could implement that, I simply doubt they can make it.

I really hope they can at some point.

It would be so chilling to just hear a rifle shot from miles away while wandering the great expanse, or finding a NPC has occupied a building.

Yesterday evening I arrived from a two days trip and fired up the steam and TLD update. I haven't played too much with Episode One but here is my first impression.

I noticed that at least the beginning of the episode one is a tutorial. I feel that players might be confused. It is too restricted for experienced player to do this and that and if things are not followed, it could lead to a reload. E.g. I had tried to make Rosehip tea but I couldn't because its time didn't arrive and I wasted time. The beginners might feel that the episode one is too difficult because they are not familiar with menu and crafting system.

I have been faced with wolf when I got the road and the car and I couldn't defeat it even clicking very fast :) I guess because I was too weak. I think it is the death spiral to be mentioned and It is too easy to do things wrong.

I think at the beginning it should be easier for the beginners. It has been noticed e.g. placing a bedroll in the cave in the first patch. But besides it, the experienced players need more freedom. 

Maybe it would be better if more difficult level could be chosen with different checkpoints. Experienced players start to utilize the resources immediately and play in own rhythm meanwhile the beginners need their hands to be hold.

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

I really hope they can at some point.

It would be so chilling to just hear a rifle shot from miles away while wandering the great expanse, or finding a NPC has occupied a building.

Just see another uknown character at the horizon (confiance 0), standing, and suddenly pointing the riffle.

Or a mate as jeremiah (confiance >300) just saying "Will !" while he gives us a fish.

We can continue to dream !

1 minute ago, Cog said:

Yesterday evening I arrived from a two days trip and fired up the steam and TLD update. I haven't played too much with Episode One but here is my first impression.

I noticed that at least the beginning of the episode one is a tutorial. I feel that players might be confused. It is too restricted for experienced player to do this and that and if things are not followed, it could lead to a reload. E.g. I had tried to make Rosehip tea but I couldn't because its time didn't arrive and I wasted time. The beginners might feel that the episode one is too difficult because they are not familiar with menu and crafting system.

I have been faced with wolf when I got the road and the car and I couldn't defeat it even clicking very fast :) I guess because I was too weak. I think it is the death spiral to be mentioned and It is too easy to do things wrong.

I think at the beginning it should be easier for the beginners. It has been noticed e.g. placing a bedroll in the cave in the first patch. But besides it, the experienced players need more freedom. 

Maybe it would be better if more difficult level could be chosen with different checkpoints. Experienced players start to utilize the resources immediately and play in own rhythm meanwhile the beginners need their hands to be hold.

Yep. I agree it was sort of a tutorial, which experienced players already knew. Learned a few things though (like having to chop up rosehips prior to making tea now, which is a nice addition).

I suspect that the next episodes will get better and better each time, and there will be more story than tutorial.

Thanks.

Just now, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Just see another uknown character at the horizon (confiance 0), standing, and suddenly pointing the riffle.

Or a mate as jeremiah (confiance >300) just saying our "Will !" while he give us a fish.

I'll give you a fish any time you pass through Mystery Lake.

"Seeing a stranger at the horizon". That's a picture of what I said.

I thought NPCs should be like that, evolving into the same world as you, with their own tasks, their own problem (carrynig weight, fatigue, faune struggles, same features as us). Jeremiah could place traps, live from it, cut direwood, etc...NPC could die so !

Not "doing anything" dialogues partners. Actually, we also risk nothing with strangers, we cannot walk with them or doing any other things. They don't exists, just giving us missions. I want to see Jeremiah hunt, drink, walk or something !

Why we nned real survivor NPC as we found in the Witcher 3 for example ? Because we don't have the opportunity to play in coop, with our best real friends, we need virtual friends.

Capture.JPG

8 minutes ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

"Seeing a stranger at the horizon". That's a picture of what I said.

I thought NPCs should be like that, evolving into the same world as you, with their own tasks, their own problem (carrynig weight, fatigue, faune struggles, same features as us). Jeremiah could place traps, live from it, cut direwood, etc...NPC could die so !

Not "doing anything" dialogues partners. Actually, we also risk nothing with strangers, we cannot walk with them or doing any other things. They don't exists, just giving us missions. I want to see Jeremiah hunt, drink, walk or something !

Why we nned real survivor NPC as we found in the Witcher 3 for example ? Because we don't have the opportunity to play in coop, with our best real friends, we need virtual friends.

Capture.JPG

Yeah.

After years of playing this game alone, it would be nice to have some people to help out.

Roaming NPCs would be cool.

Just finished it and all the various side quests. Couldn't put it down once the story actually kicked in after the initial handholding tutorial section.

The linear start and well constrained circumstances is nicely handled and then suddenly opens up - perhaps a little too quickly (I ended up at the farmhouse first - rather than Milton) and my metal shard (makeshift hunting knife) actually gave out opening a tin of food there (somehow the can opener didn't make it to my inventory after picking it up and it magically disappeared). This put me in a somewhat tough spot - having no tools whatsoever after progressing beyond the linear stage of the game, but getting the hatchet wasn't too far off in the distance, and that proved to be more than enough to live, thrive and survive from that point on. Never even used one of the countless flares or fired any of the dozen the distress pistol rounds or even needed to use one of the few stims, yet despite this, never for a moment did I feel 'safe', and the adrenaline was always pumping.

The new art, new map, music, voices, cut scenes, backstory all beautifully come together with the gameplay to produce a delight of a game. Though some places do still feel a little rough around the edges and it's not without a few odd bugs here and there.

I think my main criticism would be the journal section - for story quests, side quests, items and so on. It feels very awkward to use and actually figure out what your current task is, and where it might be. It seems somewhat disjointed and 'squeezed in' to an existing UI format. Highlights on the map 'tell your read' a particular note or item that you had found, but it would make far more sense to actually have it be clickable to read it directly rather than manually clicked all the identical notes to try and find the right one by name.

The 'tutorial tasks' suffer from the same problem (as some people have already complained about being oblivious to building a nine hour duration fire) and you have to specifically open up the UI and then struggle to locate/read the finer details.

A couple of small things somewhat bugged me about the tutorial. One, the unharvestable rosehip bushes (until you started the task). If they are unharvestable, can they not be placed just out of reach of the player? Only on the ledge accessible by the fallen tree or something? Otherwise what is the harm in the player harvesting them? I'm guessing it is because the area respawns most things each day? However, it feels overly contrived and authoritarian. Secondly, once escaping the crash site, those now harvestable bushes are right next to the 'climb action' hitbox. I felt highly cheated, now finally being able to harvest them, that a simple mis-click prevented me from doing so as I had no way back down again after the climbing cutscenes. Lastly on the subject of rosehips, (and I am aware that I am experiencing it as a change-to-the-norm, rather than a fresh mechanic) the tutorial did a pretty poor job at pointing out the two-step process involved in cooking rosehip tea or reishi tea.

I'd also have to say that Checkpoint vs Last save is quite a confusing choice. I've since watched a few other people streaming their first experiences who have been a bit confused by the difference (seeming as both save and checkpoint are game-driven not a player free choice) and have seen numerous players leaving an area thinking that they had already picked up or harvested various items, without realising that had all been reset. I found that for the entirity of my playthough I was deliberately and permanently re-entering and re-exiting every building on my way out, just to 'update my progress' of having cleared out the house, rather than have to repeat searching through all the cupboards etc should anything fatal happen. This exit-enter-exit to force a desirable save point became quite a chore, but a seemingly necessary one.

As for the ease/difficulty of play and availability of items, obviously most (if not all) the items are fixed position and not random loot drops, but food, matches and firewood were never an issue from the church onwards. In fact, I think I completed Grey Mothers first task just with books and piles of paper (which have a nice weight to them considering how common they are) and I had left fully stocked kitchens in a couple of properties when I left for the mountains. However, I have also seen fresh faces to the game struggle with food and starvation. If some kind of 'difficulty setting' could be put in, then the amount of 'non-essential' items (food etc) could be randomly reduced from the current sets.

Button mashing... doesn't work for me either. It took me about 5 minutes of frantically tapping my mouse button to remove the shard from my hard, and any wolf combat I am lucky to see a 2-3pixel flicker in the left of my bar. A couple of instances wolves seemed to run away within the first second of combat, otherwise I always came out at pretty much worst outcome, clinging to life if my condition was initially high enough to survive. I had numerous struggles in the run through, but always practiced caution, avoidance and lots of sneaking. Anything to avoid the one-sided battle. This did however add to the element of fear throughout the playthrough keeping my adrenaline pumping and nerves on edge. As a quick off-the-cuff suggestion would it be gamebreaking to simply have a 'hold-button' option rather than button mashing? Perhaps it charges slower than a fast masher could achieve, but there would at least be control of 'building up the charge' and 'releasing your attack' (as I am led to believe the mechanic is supposed to work)

Yes, there are several bugs too - but not truly gamebreaking one. For example books disappearing when dropped, wolf-eating-carcass noises persisting after the wolf has left or fled the scene, can-opener vanishing when picked up, and I am sure most of the bug reports will be pretty quickly patched.

However, depite what may seem like a long nit-picking, complaining post - it's not. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially the challenge of getting to Milton. No bedroll, poor condition, very limited supplies.. lighting fires next to the front door of a car, and sleeping inside for a few hours (just remember to get out the opposite side of the car if the fire is still burning)

After playing sandbox for a long time, entering story mode was awesome. Great job everyone involved in it. It really is a true gem in the world of games.

Edit: Oh, yes, and the lack of vocal dialogue was a bit jarring and felt out of place. Would have been so nice to have had all those extra scripted lines voiced.

Yesterday was my day off from work I spent much of the day and the evening before playing through episode one, and I feel like I got ripped off... I own the game on Xbox and PC but I mainly play on Xbox and the issues the game has are numerous and huge annoyances. For one the game keeps crashing to Xbox home during the loading into or out of a building. This meant redoing tasks so often that I almost gave up. I wound up dying from multiple wolf attacks and when I reloaded to the last checkpoint, I no longer had items that I KNOW I had at that checkpoint. And there was proof in the game that I'd killed those rabbits because the 3 pieces of rabbit meat were still laying on the ground where I left them prior to reaching the checkpoint. Then when I finally finish the darn episode, it forces me to start the second episode as a new game and can't save my items through to the next episode (including numerous items that are supposed to be the character's belongings) meaning that when I'm heading to find what I need for the npc, I have no protection from the weather or from wolves. I only hope that Hinterland is swift in patching this on XBox. I won't be playing again until it is patched because this kind of bugginess is a prime example of everything that is wrong with the gaming industry. I mean sheesh, its not as if the Xbox has a million possible combinations of hardware. There's what, 3, maybe 4 versions of the XBox? Plenty to test with and get the game working so that someone who played through episode 1 can keep their belongings through episode 2. Anyway, I have to get ready for work...

I had the same problem.  Searched that house and the vehicle in front of it and nothing.  I found everything else she mentioned so far.

On 8/2/2017 at 0:41 PM, UpUrBeaver said:

Yeah isn't the new soundtrack just the best! Would love to own it if they release it on iTunes.

Also yeah the no voice conversation was a bit jarring, I was playing TLD with my BF watching as we always play/watch story games together, and he was like "WTF happened to the sound?". And yeah, I'm a lazy reader and it did break the immersion. Maybe Hinterland want TLD to be distanced from being compared to a TellTale game when it comes to interactive story, but I do wish everything was voice acted. 

This threw me for a loop too but I think they did it to keep the complexity and size down.  For a modern day game, TLD is very resource & SSD/HDD space friendly.  I actually like the way the graphics are done, with that sort of oil painting feel to them; realistic, but not so realistic that you need a massive gaming rig to run it at a decent frame-rate.  I also prefer it when it is not "too real".  It is a game after all.  Agree on the music as well!

Just started last night, and I'm drawing out story mode as long as possible. I'm trying to play it almost like a survival playthrough with a story slowly unfolding in the background. I sort of expect to play through Wintermute only once before going back to Survival, which is why I want to make it last.

I just got to Milton after 4 hours of gameplay and am slowly exploring (not helped by four crash-to-dashboards during building exits on Xbox...). The difficulty seems well-balanced, and I hope/expect the world will become less linear now that I'm in Milton.

This is my first time playing since the faithful cartographer update and unlike many who are averse to change, I really like that the impreciseness of the new interface adds to the feeling of immersion.

Note to anybody like me who turned the volume of the characters voices down to zero long ago in survival mode: turn those back up before you start story mode. It took me until Day 4 to realize why it was so hard to figure out what was going on during the tutorial. oops.

Thanks and congratulations for getting there, Hinterland! Loving TLD again.

I like it but feel like I was expecting more. A bit too much fetching and I feel at times like the whole thing is a tutorial ( sending you to repair stuff, fishing,sending you to hunt) instead of something more interestin  I am on Ep 2 Chapter 4 I think and I guess I was expecting more from the story. I got this far so I obviously like it but I don't love it. Some bugs are a bit annoying such as ending up in the floor after being attacked by a bear. I might wait to finish it until that bug is fixed since apparently it is a bit too common. I bought the game for survival mode anyway so I am not disappointed with my purchase.

20 hours ago, June said:

Ungrateful mainlanders....How about all the good stuff? We got a new region, new item models, npcs, working (and creepy) smell mechanics, voice acting (still not fully, but I can live with that), we finally learn of Astrid´s and Will´s background, got a story, quests and sidequests, achievements, new tools and scripted events, etc. I mean, wtf m8s. It´s finally here and you´re pissing on the efforts that a (still) small studio made. Maybe it´s all a matter of taste and I´m all wrong, but I can´t understand alI those  insulting posts. Abomination? Broken? Seriously? I gotta take a break from this forum.

I´m really enjoying the game. The love that has been put in it. You did am amazing job Hinterland <3

im whit you ...too many whining over nothing..its a wonderfull game and an awesome experience..most of the people complaining come from other survival games that has nothing to do whit this game...for ex: the guy complaining about clothing system doing nothing to the freezing mechanics ...because he played dont starve....other game other mechanics..people complaining about the wood choping sound being wrong....i bet they spend a lot of time choping wood in the forest ...i think most people is used to fast and simplier games and seeing all the little  bugs or personal tastes like a big deal but the game is what it is and for some of us  amazing , fun , and inmersive

So I've reached a point where I don't know whether or not I glitched my game, so I'm hanging out on the forums a bit, might as well throw my two cents in.

My first moments were my game crashing to desktop when I tried to pull out the splinter, not the best first impression, but it worked the second time.

The tutorial days should be skip-able they are not very fun for experienced players, and it doesn't even bother teaching you to do much anyway.  I ended up restarting on the tea section because I thought my game was bugged, only to find out from the forums that you now need to craft them in the craft menu, that's exactly the kind of thing a tutorial should spell out for you, but nowhere in my quest log did it tell me to open my crafting journal, that was annoying.

Episode one had a lot of fetch and carry which wasn't very fun, but was very easy to do.

Finding the hidey holes was impossible for me, it would be nice if there was a hint that could be activated in game after being in the location for a long enough time (maybe after 5, 10 mins or so)  I like to find things myself, but I am the world worst finder of hiding places.  So I resorted to letting internet people help me rather than searching a building for the 5th or 10th or 50th time.  These hiding spots are unique locations and I just cannot find them myself.  Thanks to all the internet peeps who help their less competent brethren.

Ep 2 looks better so far, at least I'm getting to do more active tasks, but now I'm stuck and don't know why.  The guidance on these missions occasionally seems inadequate, and the fact it's still a teeny bit buggy doesn't help me determine if I'm the problem, or I've messed my game up (to no ones surprise, I'm good at messing things up in game.)

In conclusion, I'm having fun, but I could easily be having more fun with a little more polish.

Archived