How do you like it so far?

randomsurvivor

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mystifeid said:

Lol. And at least you gave me a rifle ! (Albeit a broken one)

Don't dare try to blame me for your terrible shooting habits.

The rifle was your fault, not mine.

And don't think you're keeping it either. That's my rifle. You had best get it fixed for me, so stop dilly-dallying Mainlander!

9 hours ago, Zer0beaT said:

This 9 hour fire thing seems like a bad idea to me as far as attracting new players. I haven't played this game in a long time but really enjoyed survival mode for a while a long time ago. But requiring players to sit there and stare at a fire (if they can figure out that's what they're supposed to do, i only know because I logged in here and read a bit) for what...2 hours or something real time? Doesn't seem like a great way to start a game....

I completely agree. I'm also an old TLD player and I just kept adding firewood figuring that as long as I get enough hours on the fire combined to last until morning, I'd be good. I also thought that as long as Will had <numberOfHours> worth of firewood gathered, that would be good enough since IRL you can not simply dump all the firewood at the fire in one go and expect it to last that much longer. So I added some twigs, waited a bit, boiled some water, added some more twigs, waited around 1 hr IRL while preparing my dinner, finally I added about 4 hours in one go since half the night had passed and that was what I were able to gather given the completely dark environment outside the cave.

A little textual tutorial hint along the following lines would have helped:

"Gather 9 hrs of firewood while there's still some daylight left, then put it all on the fire until there is 9 hours left before the fire goes out." For new players, this is a much better alternative than first spending 1hr IRL figuring out what is the right procedure for one of the very first challenges in the game.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it tremendously!

7 hours ago, Korsy said:

Dear fellas, i've got ay problem... i am not able to find the distress pistol.. Grey mother gave me a tip where it should be... but its not there... does anybody know where it is ? 

Likely you are in the right house, it's just really well hidden.  

Check under the rug in the bathroom.

Unfortunately I've barely played it, having only just got to Milton, as with oh-so-hilarious irony I've come down with a bad cold and cough, a mere few hours after it came out, so the days I've booked off work have mainly involved me mewling feebly wrapped up in bed with great big wracking coughs and sneezes, thus making a mockery of doing the right thing and booking time off work to play on release, and not for example fiendishly fake being too ill for work. 

Dickens, the irony.

Look forward to playing it when I'm feeling better and able to enjoy it, until then I fear my shivering and sneezing would be somewhat too immersive an experience.

1 minute ago, Faber said:

Game was great but is trash now and will be uninstalled. Wish I could get a refund.

Ouch, where is that coming from? I'm frustrated with the gamepad controls being borked, but according to Ralph that's a bug and the controller wasn't changed...

Just now, Faber said:

Been playing survival mode since the beginning and have had great times playing the game. It is broken now. 

Fair enough.

May I ask what is broken about it? I've been enjoying it for ages and story mode has made it even better for me.

If I were new to this game, and played story mode for the first time I would immediately uninstall and request a refund. It is totally un-realistic. For instance, Why do the fires from the plane crash not provide warmth even though they are like 8 feet high, yet a tiny campfire can warm you up? What is this etherial survival guide that tells you "you don't need that yet"? I could go on, but I don't feel like wasting any more time. I loved this game before this release. 

4 minutes ago, Faber said:

If I were new to this game, and played story mode for the first time I would immediately uninstall and request a refund. It is totally un-realistic. For instance, Why do the fires from the plane crash not provide warmth even though they are like 8 feet high, yet a tiny campfire can warm you up? What is this etherial survival guide that tells you "you don't need that yet"? I could go on, but I don't feel like wasting any more time. I loved this game before this release. 

You raise valid points....actually I thought about the plane fire too...

And why can't we grab a burning piece of debris to light the first fire in the cave?

Still though, that broke the game for you?

What about cured items not weighing less than uncured items? I find that waaaaay more frustrating than the two points you brought up...

8 minutes ago, Faber said:

I understand, thanks.

I have been playing The Long Dark since 2015 and I really love its survival mode. In spite of some controversial updates like the new UI, I have had a lot of fun playing it. This said, what do I think about the story mode?

Pros:

• Great storytelling.
  • A new region to explore.
  • Small improvements in the UI, like hiding the scent indicator when you're not holding Tab.
  • Enjoyable gameplay overall.

Cons:

• The tutorial is not optional and can be confusing for new and old players (e.g., the requirement to build a fire that lasts throught the night).
  •  Lack of voice in some dialogues.
  • Some bugs (e.g., the first backpack, dropped books, etc.).

The tutorial not being optional is annoying for old players and can ruin the experience to new players. I mean, one of the things I liked the most when I started to play The Long Dark was figuring out by myself how to survive. I would not have been able to learn trhough trial and error if the game had a tutorial then, so I think this feature should be optional at least.

The lack of voice in some dialogues and the bugs took me out of the atmosphere. Immersion is highly important in a game like The Long Dark and devs should pay more attention to such "details". My impression is that the story mode was released too early and it is not polished yet. Notwithstanding the above, I liked a lot the new content brought in this update and I enjoyed both the story and the storytelling. The atmosphere in these first episodes is great and it was a good idea to keep the survival mechanics in the story mode (I was afraid of The Long Dark becoming a Firewatch-like game).

In short, the story mode is not bad, but it is far from being polished. Hinterland should listen to the community and change some things up if they want the story mode to be worthy of the good job they have done so far.

11 minutes ago, guillearch said:

I have been playing The Long Dark since 2015 and I really love its survival mode. In spite of some controversial updates like the new UI, I have had a lot of fun playing it. This said, what do I think about the story mode?

Pros:

• Great storytelling.
  • A new region to explore.
  • Small improvements in the UI, like hiding the scent indicator when you're not holding Tab.
  • Enjoyable gameplay overall.

Cons:

• The tutorial is not optional and can be confusing for new and old players (e.g., the requirement to build a fire that lasts throught the night).
  •  Lack of voice in some dialogues.
  • Some bugs (e.g., the first backpack, dropped books, etc.).

The tutorial not being optional is annoying for old players and can ruin the experience to new players. I mean, one of the things I liked the most when I started to play The Long Dark was figuring out by myself how to survive. I would not have been able to learn trhough trial and error if the game had a tutorial then, so I think this feature should be optional at least.

The lack of voice in some dialogues and the bugs took me out of the atmosphere. Immersion is highly important in a game like The Long Dark and devs should pay more attention to such "details". My impression is that the story mode was released too early and it is not polished yet. Notwithstanding the above, I liked a lot the new content brought in this update and I enjoyed both the story and the storytelling. The atmosphere in these first episodes is great and it was a good idea to keep the survival mechanics in the story mode (I was afraid of The Long Dark becoming a Firewatch-like game).

In short, the story mode is not bad, but it is far from being polished. Hinterland should listen to the community and change some things up if they want the story mode to be worthy of the good job they have done so far.

Good points.

I want to add something I immediately thought though, following up with your conclusion.

Upon entering Episode 2 after Episode 1, I realised that Episode 2 was just... made better. In Episode 1, it was quite basic and yes, not 100% 'polished' but still fully playable and enjoyable. However, in Episode 2  the cut scenes were nicer, I loved the intro, and the immersion was so good that the jumpscare with the bear actually made me jump. I can only imagine that with the Hinterland developers learning and getting more and more experienced with each Episode (not saying that they aren't experienced) they will keep getting better and better. In my opinion, this was evident when switching to Episode 2.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, happybjorn said:

My impression so far of story mode is poor.  In fact, nearly everything about this release has me shaking my head in disappointment.

Same here. I am passionate about this game because I loved it, and was looking forward to the release. They banned me for speaking my mind on the steam boards, I expect they will ban me here too soon as they do not appreciate anything but positive feedback. 

2 hours ago, Thrasador said:

You raise valid points....actually I thought about the plane fire too...

And why can't we grab a burning piece of debris to light the first fire in the cave?

Still though, that broke the game for you?

What about cured items not weighing less than uncured items? I find that waaaaay more frustrating than the two points you brought up...

I didn't bother with story mode after playing for about 10 minutes and realizing they took a great game a hosed it all up. I am sure there are tons more immersion breakers as well. oh well. I guess I will revisit in a couple years after the modding community has fixed this abomination.

Ungrateful mainlanders....How about all the good stuff? We got a new region, new item models, npcs, working (and creepy) smell mechanics, voice acting (still not fully, but I can live with that), we finally learn of Astrid´s and Will´s background, got a story, quests and sidequests, achievements, new tools and scripted events, etc. I mean, wtf m8s. It´s finally here and you´re pissing on the efforts that a (still) small studio made. Maybe it´s all a matter of taste and I´m all wrong, but I can´t understand alI those  insulting posts. Abomination? Broken? Seriously? I gotta take a break from this forum.

I´m really enjoying the game. The love that has been put in it. You did am amazing job Hinterland <3

Archived