How do you like it so far?

randomsurvivor

27 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I hate it. They changed all the gamepad controls to the point where I can't navigate menus or enjoy the game.

They haven't posted a change log or patch notes, and the update was released this morning.

Super frustrated....

@Thrasador I sense your frustration, yes. Which controls are you unsure about? They can be found in the options menu. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, June said:

You guys are giving up fast. I can see the problem here, but why so angry and whiney? If the gamepad doesn´t work, try the keyboard and vise versa? Disable Steam updates. Fiddle with options. Etc. There´ll sure be a solution soon, no need to blame anyone? Good night for now, I can see your frustration, but I´m sure it´ll be fine by tomorrow. o7

I haven't given up nor am I whining just pointing out how the game is working for me and asking if anybody else has had same experience.

3 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

@Patrick Carlson

They changed how you navigate the inventory. The left and right bumpers do nothing now, only the Dpad. The LT and RT won't move between backpack and whatever storage without hitting X first to select a tab.

I don't want it like this, I want it back the way it was before the update.

As with all of these kinds of interface changes, please give it some time if it's grating on you now. That's all we ask.

I'd rather the option to change gamepad settings, if you guys are going to just randomly change everything around whenever you feel like it. I don't want to give the changes a chance, I want it back the way it was yesterday so I can play the game. As it stands now I am too depressed to play and I am going to sleep as a result of these changes.

I liked it better the way it was, I want a way to revert it to the way it was. Can you do that for me?

I'd also like to know where the patch notes and change log are?

9 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

As with all of these kinds of interface changes, please give it some time if it's grating on you now. That's all we ask.

So is that it @Patrick Carlson? Just deal with it? No solution? No work around? Just live with the arbitrary changes? So what happens if I "give it some time" and I still don't like it? Will you change the controller back the way it was then?

If so I'll do that, but not without a guarantee from you that it will be fixed and I can play with a controller back the way it was before Wintermute, if I still don't like it after "giving it some time."

Also, I'm still waiting on any kind of answer about where the patch notes and change log are. I noticed you quietly ignoring that question completely....

2 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

So is that it @Patrick Carlson? Just deal with it? No solution? No work around? Just live with the arbitrary changes? So what happens if I "give it some time" and I still don't like it? Will you change the controller back the way it was then?

If so I'll do that, but not without a guarantee from you that it will be fixed and I can play with a controller back the way it was before Wintermute, if I still don't like it after "giving it some time."

Also, I'm still waiting on any kind of answer about where the patch notes and change log are. I noticed you quietly ignoring that question completely....

Not ignoring you - just a busy day and lots to do. For right now, at our new 1.0 release, the game itself is what we want players new and old to take in. Episode 1 and Episode 2, with fresh eyes. If you have a specific question on something I can try and track down for you I will, either post it here or send me a message and I will do the best I can. I am actually not up on the controller changes, since I always play mouse and keyboard myself, but I can ask about it for you to make sure everything is working as intended. All I would ask from you is some patience, on today of all days. Thanks. 

Like it so far, one death from "misadventure" (slipped off a cliff) searched Milton and have yet to find knife or axe (broke the shard off in a wolf...at night). I did fall through the center of the earth and respawn when opening the bank vault though.

I absolutely am loving it so far! The cut scenes are awesome and I really like introduction of people and talking to others in the game. So different from always being alone in the sandbox. :) big thumbs up hinterland! 

9 minutes ago, Agiffin said:

I absolutely am loving it so far! The cut scenes are awesome and I really like introduction of people and talking to others in the game. So different from always being alone in the sandbox. :) big thumbs up hinterland! 

I do too, finally got to play a little more tonight. They sure didn't make it easy on us veterans either, lol. I feel sorry for the newbies :D
I only got as far as the first cave this aft before time to cook dinner. I'm now safe and sound in the little church but I almost didn't make it there because it was night time when I got there since I got warm and fed inside of the cave which took some time. It was night time by the time I got to that first bridge and I was getting cold again and then there's that crabby church-wolf besides the first bridge-wolf...not sure if it's the same one but that church wolf almost got me just before I jumped through the church door. Now it seems he's just going to hang out eating a deer forever, out on the road in front of the church.
The wolf on the bridge startled me and came at me unexpectedly since I couldn't see very well and didn't see him even coming, or even hear him till it was kind of late...but just when he got to me he turned and ran off, supposedly spooked by the torch I was holding. I took off and stumbled onto the church finally, and this other wolf.
Anyway, slept the night, and gathered some more cat tails out back of the church. All the while, that wolf is still out front still eating that deer, lol. I can see something up ahead but not ready to go yet. Anyway, loving it. Going back in in a few.

The saving system sucks. The last checkpoint and last save are nearly always the same from what I can tell, and with no option to load previous saves, it just gets stuck. After my 3rd attempt I got stuck in a place where I was almost bled out and didn't have enough time to craft a bandage. Seems retarded that they chose that point to save at. I can't restore an earlier save, so I have to start the game over. Not very fun, it just gets super repetitive. The normal way would be to save after exiting a waypoint or something. Saving after a wolf attack is really stupid and makes me not want to play the game after waiting all this time.

2 hours ago, eberg said:

I will agree that where you need to jam the mouse button, it doesn't seem to move the meter at all. I'm stuck being killed by wolves over and over again because I can't fight them. I finally just gave up.

Haven't had a wolf struggle yet but my mash button wasn't too bad with that chunk of metal stuck in his hand. I got the meter up like usual. It takes a bit of mashing but my meter did keep moving up.

12 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Haven't had a wolf struggle yet but my mash button wasn't too bad with that chunk of metal stuck in his hand. I got the meter up like usual. It takes a bit of mashing but my meter did keep moving up.

I'm using a Mac and it took a Herculean effort for me to move the meter enough so that I pulled the shard from my hand. Maybe it's my mouse IDK...

3 hours ago, Thrasador said:

They changed how you navigate the inventory. The left and right bumpers do nothing now, only the Dpad. The LT and RT won't move between backpack and whatever storage without hitting X first to select a tab.

I don't want it like this, I want it back the way it was before the update.

Sorry you're not having a good experience :( I play with keyboard and nothing seems changed but I have to agree, I've never seen game creators change up all their buttons on the controllers with updates or story releases either. It's just not done, even years later with a sequel ,and for good reason too. They want their existing customers to be comfortable with what they are familiar with.

22 minutes ago, Pasquinel said:

I'm using a Mac and it took a Herculean effort for me to move the meter enough so that I pulled the shard from my hand. Maybe it's my mouse IDK...

That reminds me of the E-mashing for Alien: Isolation. My keyboard just couldn't do it while all the letsplayers didn't seem to be having any trouble with the E. I finally had to change over to controller just for the mashing parts to get it to go. But it's not like you'd have time to switch over to controller anyway whenever a wolf attacks.

59 minutes ago, Pasquinel said:

a Herculean effort for me to move the meter enough so that I pulled the shard from my hand. Maybe it's my mouse IDK...

I'm stuck at the beginning of the game for that reason. I have no idea why, but I am just unable to make the meter move any farther than one millimeter. I clicked as fast as I possibly could, and couldn't make anything happen. Really not sure what the cause of this is, my mouse works normal for everything else.. I did have somewhat of a similar issue when fighting wolves in the last update or two - but at least the game was registering my clicks then. Anyone have any insight? @Patrick Carlson

I just finished episode 1.  Took me about 12 hours, including a restart to work around an issue.  I experienced rose hip confusion and post-cutscene voiceover withdrawal like many folks, but Hinterland already have our feedback on that.  So, on to the other stuff...

1. Damn the new zone is beautiful and very liveable.   The transition to the episode 2 region is breathtaking!  I explored quite a bit, even spent a couple nights in caves.  I can't wait to play the Milton region in the sandbox.
  2. The survival is real, but not excessive.  Nice job structuring the first 5 days around mini tutorial/reminders to bring the new players and old hands up to speed, survival-wise,  I think the difficulty is dialed in just about perfectly: memorably challenging but not odious.  The wolf agro radius is tiny compared to what I've been dealing with in the sandbox, calorie consumption too.   I even hatchet-wrestled a few wolves and they were pretty weak compared to whatever bit off the seat of my pants in my current sandbox. :)
  3. The cutscenes were great!  Good writing, and very nicely animated in a style that matches TLD.   I didn't expect to be pulled in by characters depicted in this style, but the acting and especially the range of facial expressions sold it for me.   Hats off to all involved.
  4. The story itself I'm a little less sure of.  The metal box and plane cutscenes were great -- I loved learning reasons to feel more invested in Astrid and Will finding each other after the crash.  The stuff in Milton was certainly interesting, but it felt a bit meandering.... in a direction away from the main storyline.   The cliffhanger for Episode 2 was awesome, though!

And, whoops, I really didn't mean to write a wall of text -- sorry about that.  Off to bed - g'night!

I like playing on the easiest setting in sandbox. I personally love the whole wandering about and just exploring thing. Makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. I tried it on the harder levels. Cursed wolves every damn time! Made me wanna kick every dog I saw! So, I put it on whatever this game calls rookie and proceeded to hunt and fish. I did okay. I'd take a tumble now and then. Maybe get a boo-boo or two when I didn't pay attention. Never got cabin fever or gut rot. Crafting on crappy days, or maybe out in a fishhut. Finally got the update to trigger, story mode here I come! 

First thing I noticed was the lack of a coward setting. So, knowing full well the neighbors, and their lovely huskie are away, I ventured on. Now in sandbox I've lit many fires. Indoors, outdoors, the whole shabang. Not once, in sandbox, did I set myself on fire. But low and behold, twice! Yeah, I'll admit it, I set myself on fire, twice. Plus in the process of attempting to heal myself of my burns, I used up all the antibiotics thinking those were the little bottles of pills showing in the status screen. Poor Will, I never got to know you at all. A discrete ceremony was held for him that seemed mired by the profanity I was spewwing at the time.

Round two, I started better AND I got to see, Will, pull that metal outta his hand again! How badass is that, huh? Guy barely grunts with a knife through his hand. I nearly crap myself when I cut my neck shaving. Well, only when it's close to the vein. Anyway, I'm doing well, wake up, and boom, I've somehow set myself on fire again. That just happened to occur as I was feeling the effects of nicotine withdrawal. I made up a couple of new, let's call them, swear-curses. Just for Will, so his little digital heart could feel the love. He would not meet his fate like neoWill, I calmed down. I vowed to respect digital fire as much as I respect the real thing. Concentrate damn you! Don't wander away to your shiny place.

I'm doing well now. I found the Zen in it. Twist my ankle climbing, okay seems to have been scripted in, fine. Opens up the whole tea thing, good. Make the tea and yep, burnt again. Moving on, I make extra tea and bandages. Seems I'll need them. I don't understand why, I don't. I just can't under... I smoke. I use fire everyday but somehow... Forget it, whatever right? The journey continues, won't survive overthinking things. I do my climb. Found some frozen clothes, a snack here and there, a ton of rosehips, some decent wood. Well, Will's, cold and thirsty and I have to thaw those frozen clothes somehow. That time I'm pretty sure I didn't burn myself. 

What I did do is take too long. I spent so much time thawing out the clothes that it was starting to get dark. So, I start hoofing it to make up for lost time. Right into an encounter with a wolf. It was of course dark now and the torch was starting to sputter. I backed off, found a way around it and he seemed more interested in the deer carcase so off I went. It's pitch black now and I need a torch. I build a fire as I had no materials to craft a torch. Next wolf encounter happens and I take a hit. I got away, but not unscathed, minor stuff. By this time I'm really missing my coward difficulty setting. I'm also really smack talking the wolves, 'cause they're total jerks. It's so black now that I walked into car, before I could even see it. And I hear that wolf I stabbed, but somehow didn't kill, from somewhere behind me. I get in the car and I can't see a damn thing, inside or out. I wait and listen for Wolfy-McBleedy-Neck (yeah I named him, so what?) to leave. It's cold in that car! Will, is freezing his man bits off. I have to build a fire. That moment, that precious moment, is when I discovered I was out of wood.

Oh the swearing that took place just after that precious moment. It made people knock on the door to the den. I swore at them as well. The thirteen year old took it like a champ. She called me a jerk and said to play a different game for awhile. I grounded her and hid her phone, so she would understand my frustration. She doesn't. Back to the game. I make a dash to what I was hoping would be another car, while looking for wood, while listening to some inmate scream about a phone, in the dark. It wasn't a car. I don't have a clue what it was. I ran off of what I have to assume was a cliff. I think I fell but it was so dark I really have no way to know. I was just glad I didn't go by fire.

Great job Hinterland! Here we get to enjoy some of that broader vision that we could only really partially see when playing sandbox.

I've gotten to Milton and loaded the grey mother up with food and fuel supplies. That's about enough for now!

Feedback: Love the new region. The town is -very- nice. Some aspects of the new UI have grown on me too I have to say. 

Some comment on the story so far. I feel it succeeds best with what is told through the world building. The notes left here and there are also a nice bit of enhancement. You can imagine how things slowly went down hill in the post-collapse decade period leading up to the event. It's really on an extra level to anything I saw playing sandbox, and I appreciate it.

Now dialogue. Obviously its already done and out there now, but hopefully Hinterland will go on to keep making new episodes far into the future. So, I hope some feedback is appreciated.  Anyway, I would generally recommend "less is more" with dialogue and characterizations. For example, Will and Astrid's relationship, and the old wise crone, are a bit little bit too archetypical/cliche for my liking. Toning it down even just a little would help a lot with that.

I love the story mode so far, even though I have been a bit frustrated by the tutorial being stuck at day 3 because of a design flaw (9 hours fire must be piled up else it never unlocks). This is great to have new environments to discover, a bit of new mechanics too. What would be great is to be able to start the story mode skipping the tutorial phase, which is long and that I don't want to redo if I want to start a new story.

I've only played Wintermute  for about five hours so far, but I like it a lot. Especially the new Season One area is lovely to explore. Certainly surpassed my expectations. B|

I also love the tiny details and side-quests, e.g. to find the Milton caches and bank keys. These immersive details are exactly what I've always missed a little bit in Survivor Mode. I'm definitely going to take my time to experience all of them, even if it means I probably won't finish Story Mode within the next two weeks or so. ^^

Regarding the difficulty: Well, being used to Interloper, Wintermute of course feels very easy and forgiving - outdoor temperatures, wolf struggles, loot amount, etc all appear to be similar to Voyageur. (I have no issues with my mouse buttons or keyboard bindings, btw.) But I'm somehow nevertheless fine  with the current difficulty level. Like that one can concentrate on the lovely stories and quests and doesn't have to plan everything in detail all the time.;)

Archived