Astrid

SnowWalker

1 minute ago, Timber Wolf said:

Go to Options > Audio and then move the Voice slider all the way down. ;)

Thanks Timber Wolf, I've honestly never found that somehow. I guess though that once the voices are turned off, it wouldn't make much difference whom you play as.

1 hour ago, SnowWalker said:

I tried to do that too but I can't figure out how to change that in the options.

I think you go to settings/options....then audio....then lower the "voice" slider all the way down...

I keep them on because I am lonely as it is in the game. Also occasionally their constant complaining helps remind me to feed them/give them something to drink if you get distracted...

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Here watch this video of this knucklehead who ended up having to go down a VERY steep cliff as inspiration for what can be accomplished in the game with cliff hugging....

His first couple words in this video had me splitting a gut. "Welcome back everybody, to the Canadian Death Simulator" :D

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

His first couple words in this video had me splitting a gut. "Welcome back everybody, to the Canadian Death Simulator" :D

Well like you said earlier, he keeps playing on Interloper and he doesn't really seem to know what he is doing. So under those conditions it really pretty much is, "A Canadian Death Simulator."

20 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Well like you said earlier, he keeps playing on Interloper and he doesn't really seem to know what he is doing. So under those conditions it really pretty much is, "A Canadian Death Simulator."

True but, the first time I ever played this game and came-to in Mystery Lake, years ago when there was only ML, I was killed instantly. The fist thing I saw was a wolf standing in front of me and then it jumped me and killed me. I was like "Wth!?" and I was hooked (wolf being right there at the beginning of a game never happened again) This game is all about death and without the threat of impending death, there's no need for survival. We are all old hands at this game though. I went all the way from the new Forestry Lookout to Spence's Homestead in Voyager last night. Foggy and cold all the way, but I made it. I was pushing my luck though and was also carrying way over my weight limit. Some guys think they can go into any game and play it on the highest difficulty....The Long Dark is putting that theory quickly to rest. Some peeps don't like the game because it's too hard and there's no immediate fully auto and powerful gun. Wimps, I say :D

Edited by SnowWalker
  • Upvote 1

On 7/30/2017 at 7:04 PM, MarrowStone said:

Probably because Astrid is a unique, strong female name to fit a character traversing the frozen canadian wilderness, fighting wolves and bears along the way. They sure as heck wouldnt call her "barbie" so an old viking name would have to do. Vikings are all the craze these days.  It makes her that much more awesome.

Also a lot of our player base isnt just male and would appreciate having a unique female to play as, not some all too common misproportioned doll with a delicate (or seductive) name. (Not to insult anyones names or anything) 

Its a good question and maybe there is more to it than just a design choice. Would be interesting to know. But for now im assuming its because its "cool, unique, and fitting to the theme of the game."

It's not so unique if you have played Skyrim which is what I thought this thread was about since I have avoided the forums and all possible story mode spoilers lol!  Guess I have to adapt to a new Astrid now! 

11 hours ago, cullam said:

Interesting. I pretty much always play as Astrid, because I find Will's grunts to be in too close a frequency range to a wolf growl

Funny.. I always play as Will, because I find Astrid's whining irritating as hell.

Edited by JAFO
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Packet802 said:

It's not so unique if you have played Skyrim which is what I thought this thread was about since I have avoided the forums and all possible story mode spoilers lol!  Guess I have to adapt to a new Astrid now! 

I've never played Skyrim far enough to meet an Astrid. I just can't get into it for some reason. I'm more of a Fallout fan, and of course I love Dishonored, The Evil Within and want to eventually get Prey, but I always kick Skyrim off to the back burner. But i mean in general, IRL. I work with kids and they all have very unique names these days but I've never run into an Astrid yet. Maybe soon we'll see that though because of Skyrim, TLD and How to Train your Dragon.

16 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Funny.. I always play as Will, because I find Astrid's whining irritating as hell.

I always play as Will because I AM A MAN! Lol, I always play men, as a man. I know some guys say they prefer staring at their female avatar as opposed to a male avatar, but I always found that peculiar...

4 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I always play as Will because I AM A MAN! Lol, I always play men, as a man. I know some guys say they prefer staring at their female avatar as opposed to a male avatar, but I always found that peculiar...

Hahaha, that reminds me of my hubby. He won't play Alien: Isolation because he has no choice but to play a woman :D Also, not Tomb Raider, lol.

Edited by SnowWalker
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Hahaha, that reminds me of my hubby. He won't play Alien: Isolation because he has no choice but to play a woman :D Also, not Tomb Raider, lol.

I've played Tomb Raider....like 20 years ago. I'll play a female protagonist if that is the only choice available. If there IS a choice, I play as my gender, which is male....

Usually a big tanky male that likes to smash things...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

Usually a big tanky male that likes to smash things...

:D My hubby's mainly the sports guy. He's heavy into Madden. He tried the TR reboot when I told him it was fun but he played it for like one day and then kicked it to the curb, lol. He likes Red Dead Redemption and the Mafia games though too. He was very disappointed when RDR 2 got pushed back to next year. Oh and he likes GTA too...but that's it. He tried The Witcher....kicked it to the curb.

Edited by SnowWalker

On 7/30/2017 at 7:26 PM, SnowWalker said:

Yes I was aware of her but still, very few famous Astrid's out there.

Now there is one more. This game has been getting more and more attention, and the storyline we know thus far is getting pretty deep.

It definitely doesn't hurt that Jennifer Hale is giving her voice to Astrid, too.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Hey all,

I’m new to the game and this forum. Speaking on the subject of known people named Astrid; I would mention Astrid Kirchherr, the German girlfriend of original Beatles member Stu Sutcliffe (before his untimely passing), who was a photographer who took many famous early photographs of the Beatles and was also the first to give them their iconic haircuts in the early 1960s. So she essentially invented the “Beatle Haircut.”