What drew you to TLD?

I saw a youtube video, liked the game but the youtuber was terrible :)

So i came across "Lordmastergaming", liked his approach alot, watched his stream and got a key from him in September 2014.

I dont play anything else but the long dark or sometimes dota, because i just dont have time to play.

The long dark is kind of the old sid meier's civilisation II for me. "Just one more round... - oops, 2h past :D "

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always interesting to return to this thread and see what initially sparked your interest in the game. Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts here -- This is a fun thread to read!

I saw a youtube video, liked the game but the youtuber was terrible :)

So i came across "Lordmastergaming", liked his approach alot, watched his stream and got a key from him in September 2014.

Yep, we love LMG as well! We do our best to share his live broadcasts when they're happening. He's been a long-time supporter (The Long Dark is what got him into streaming!) and has some great tips to share.

I discovered the game from OneFJef's let's play of it, that he made almost a year ago now:

I didn't get the game right away, but I remember I was immediately interested and it wasn't too long before I decided I wanted to play the game for myself. Incidentally, it's interesting to look back on his let's play now since so much has been added and changed in a year. :)

I love survival games, but I have played only few of them. The first one I played was 'Robinson Requiem', more than twenty years ago. It was way too hard for me so I never get far with it (Maybe I should give it aother try now ;-) ).

Regarding TLD, I discovered it two weeks ago.

I was playing 'The Flame and the Flood', another survival game in early access, and after looking at the review on the steam page, I decided to give it a try.

I have only 12 hours playtime on it, but I really like it.

What motivated me to gave it a try:

- No zombie,

- The beautiful rendering of the game, that fell "warm" despite its cold setting,

- The good reviews.

I don't remember how I found it, but I know that I loved the look of it when I did. Bought it from Steam a week after finding because I didn't have cash at the time.

Gonna have to agree with Dragfly on some of those points there. It feels really cozy indoors when you have a fire going or you're just relaxing, doing minor repairs or crafting and enjoying the ambiance, conversely it feels cold and unforgiving when you're outside in the snow. Even with no blizzards blowin' there's a feeling of cold crispness, the kind you feel in winter. It's a survival game that feels more survival than other survival games. There aren't any zombies, you don't know how to craft everything in the world or you can't craft everything in the world, just some basic items really, things a normal person might figure out how to build. There aren't any zombies, but I still have that sneaking fear that there's a wolf or a bear out there.

I've only got 21 hours on it, but I love the game more than any other survival game out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Quality, you can see the time put into this game, love and care, it's from not just the mind, the heart as well.

It's relaxing, nothing jumping out at you, just you and the elements.

If this can take my mind off things, I'm in, nothing else has helped, this game, WOW, just gets better and better ❤

BROVA HINTERLAND!!!

I was drawn to TLD by my love of survival games. I was also drawn to the unique art style. It is absolutely beautiful!

I'm a huge horror fan, in general (books, games, movies etc); But it seems so many games which feature survival are horror. TLD is a refreshing change of pace from zombies and such. :) I've played games, many Bethesda, heavily modded to add to the immersion and survival aspects. So upon finding TLD I was overjoyed :) So much fun!!!

I was enticed by a video thinking they'd have cold weather models with thermodynamics, accumulating snow, transitioning water->ice, sliding, exposure injuries, and a female protagonist.

I got a basic metabolism and survival economy painted over white. It's still good. We get hypothermia and have to melt snow to have water, so, yeah.

I don't own a lot of video games. I have quite a few well worn favorites that I pretty much play to death, but as an avid outdoorsman, I've always longed for a game like this.

When I saw the reviews for this game, I didn't buy it right away. I looked at the reviews of other survival type games and was completely turned off by multiplayer prospect of having a bunch of little immature, foul mouthed, creeps running around killing, looting, and ruining the game like an internet version of "Lord of the Flys".

I finally went ahead and purchased The Long Dark and have loved it every since, even though I am approaching 400 hours of playing time.

Like many of you, there's times I find myself exploring a map like Coastal Highway, high up on one of the overlooks, and just stop, have a drink, and a bite of venison, and take in the beautiful view.

Then there's the genuine fear of harvesting an animal, getting done, and finding that you are right in the middle of a "white out" and not taking the time to remember "exactly" where you were before you started.

Then the genuine of elation of seeing that hut or cabin appear through the sideways blowing snowstorm as your freezing condition gets down to 50%.

No other game has taken me through the full state of emotions as this game has from fear, to joy, to calm, and anger!

All I can say is "Hats Off" to the fine developers of this game, and I look forward to whatever is next!

I've thought long and hard about this and in the end I think it was actually a YouTube playthrough "way back when" the game was on very early alpha release.

It was a playthrough series by Splattercatgaming

I'd long been interested in survival games and often considered plenty of the zombie survival games such as DayZ (when it was just an ArmA mod) but the often unrealistic mechanics and the forced survival perspective of a zombie apocalypse didn't really appeal.

When I saw Splattercats playthrough of a survival game that was just that ... a survival game and not just a matter of defeating the zombies.... I was hooked.

I must admit I bought the game on PC at least 8 months ago but never got around to really playing in earnest until the last few weeks.

Now I even have the game on my XboxOne. :mrgreen:

Initially, I was just bored and messing around on my Xbox One when I played a free trial of TLD. It was in an earlier stage, but I was hooked. I looked it up on Steam and got it.

I think one of the most attractive features is that the only reason you fail is yourself. There aren't zombies or hoards of enemies to detract from survival. I think it's a great idea to have a game featured on survival of the elements, not on the overplayed (but still fun) survival of the zombie plague.