I am available to answer questions

Thrasador

19 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

A bear patrols the Farmstead area frequently, he's rather hard to miss. I'd start with him. There are also several bear caves scattered around.

Edit: I call the Farmstead bear Jimmy. Because he looks like a Jimmy to me.

ROFL....I call him Ted like the movie...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a really good question that I don't know the answer to....I am not a big mapper personally, and the bunker I did find I didn't try mapping it...

So in the event you find a bunker before I go look for one and check myself, let us know what you find out....

Also I can't guarantee when I will be able to go look, I have a stomach bug and I have some RL chores to do despite being ill...

32 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Also I can't guarantee when I will be able to go look

No worries mate thanx anyway :) I'll be sure to share any info if I discover this for myself. Hope you feel better soon :peaches:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/1368380934282542198/

I did some research online and came across this thread which touches on the subject but idk how reliable it is as it is prior to the release of Wintermute and may have been changed by now.

I admit I agree with the poster who argues that it would be somewhat of an exploit if it did appear within the search radius while surveying. But I would like it to be able to appear on the map after entering the Bunker and officially discovering it, I would want to return to it later and marking it on map would be useful.

29 minutes ago, Frosty said:

No worries mate thanx anyway :) I'll be sure to share any info if I discover this for myself. Hope you feel better soon :peaches:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/1368380934282542198/

I did some research online and came across this thread which touches on the subject but idk how reliable it is as it is prior to the release of Wintermute and may have been changed by now.

I admit I agree with the poster who argues that it would be somewhat of an exploit if it did appear within the search radius while surveying. But I would like it to be able to appear on the map after entering the Bunker and officially discovering it, I would want to return to it later and marking it on map would be useful.

Thanks for finding that Steam discussion....it pretty plainly answers the question. Bunkers don't show up on the map even after discovering it, going inside it, and then coming out and looking at the hatch while mapping....it just won't map....

9 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Thanks for finding that Steam discussion....it pretty plainly answers the question. Bunkers don't show up on the map even after discovering it, going inside it, and then coming out and looking at the hatch while mapping....it just won't map....

Ya I guess not, I thought since it was an older topic that there was a chance that it may have been changed in the game by now.

I'm still going to try to map it thow when I find it :D

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

Ya I guess not, I thought since it was an older topic that there was a chance that it may have been changed in the game by now.

I'm still going to try to map it thow when I find it :D

+1 for your persistence but it won't. They dont show up even if you stand right beside them after discovering them.

14 minutes ago, TROY said:

+1 for your persistence but it won't. They dont show up even if you stand right beside them after discovering them.

Dang, oh well its good to hear from someone on this forum who has tried it :toque:

Not a big deal really it makes discovering them that much more special and rewarding and I can always take a screenshot of the area for reference if I wish to return :painkillers:

The time of day...Is there any place or way one may toggle that to display the actual time as in the original Sandbox? Or, was this rotating sun/moon feature added at the request of players who wanted to be required to pay closer attention to where the sun is, sunlight, etc.? I will say that I noticed that, when there is a storm, the inside of buildings is darkened as would be in R/L, and I found this added feature enjoyable as it adds a more real element to it.  Thank you for your time.

@CitrinePeridot Estimated time of day was removed because the creative director prefers only the game environment to inform you what is happening rather than any meter.  Because apparently that was the goal all along; not to create a survival challenge but to experiment with environmental communication.  No going back now:( Onwards instead toward obscurity (I don't think anyone is asking for this)

Thank you for your insight & response. Actually, I'm not complaining at all. It does make it easier, of course the other way. However, it wouldn't have surprised me, given it's a survival game, if players had requested it. It's more in keeping with being in tune with your environment this way. So, I'm not displeased in the least. Just exploring possible options while I get adjusted here. LOL Again, thank you.  :-)

On 8/23/2017 at 10:39 AM, Stormwolf1O1 said:

A bear patrols the Farmstead area frequently, he's rather hard to miss. I'd start with him. There are also several bear caves scattered around.

Edit 2: Was doing Hopeless Rescue, running through PV and found a bear coming out from his cave for a morning walk, over near Long Curve. Although I'm aiming, I left him unharmed. :)

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.4c5558852c82d2007f3eeccc136a9f4a.png

I'll call this one Doctor Bear, as his cave is right next to where the PV Medical Prepper cache spawns!

Lol !

Ok. I need the procedure for the torch here. I snagged me some charcoal as I like the idea of mapping (just hoping I'm in the right spots based off what some are saying). I then decided I'd like to utilize the torch option. Got the torch. I've pressed "H". Nope. I've thrown it down. Nope. LOL So, can someone please give me the procedure for obtaining a torch. I'm trying to be in the middle of a fishing expedition, and I can't fish for playing with the burning stick. Thank you. 

(I'm on Windows, and I'm trying to put it out for future use so that I can get to my fishing here.)

8 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Ok. I need the procedure for the torch here. I snagged me some charcoal as I like the idea of mapping (just hoping I'm in the right spots based off what some are saying). I then decided I'd like to utilize the torch option. Got the torch. I've pressed "H". Nope. I've thrown it down. Nope. LOL So, can someone please give me the procedure for obtaining a torch. I'm trying to be in the middle of a fishing expedition, and I can't fish for playing with the burning stick. Thank you. 

(I'm on Windows, and I'm trying to put it out for future use so that I can get to my fishing here.)

I'm confused as to what you are asking.....

"can someone please give me the procedure for obtaining a torch."

Obtaining means, "to get"

So are you asking the procedure "to get" a torch, because it sounds like you already have a torch in your hand....so that doesn't make sense....

You can get more torches out of a burning fire, taking a torch subtracts 10 minutes from an active fire....

You could craft more torches from the crafting menu as well, the ones you craft start at 100% condition. Ones you pull from a fire seem to be at 50-20 condition.

Are you asking how "to light" a torch? To light a torch you need matches, a fire, or an already burning torch. If you place the cursor over a burning fire or a lit torch on the ground and push the button to light a torch, you will light the torch.

If you don't have a burning fire or torch already and push the light button you will lose a match. If you don't have a burning fire, torch, or matches then you CAN'T light a torch. They are NOT flares. They are not "self-lighting."

"I'm trying to be in the middle of a fishing expedition, and I can't fish for playing with the burning stick. Thank you. "

What does that mean?

You are trying to fish but you can't because you are holding a burning totch?

You have to extinguish the torch before you put it away. You can't put a burning torch in your pocket....you would catch fire and die.

Hold down the button you use to light a torch (LMB?) to put it out. Then the cancel button to put it away....

7 hours ago, Thrasador said:

I'm confused as to what you are asking.....

"can someone please give me the procedure for obtaining a torch."

Obtaining means, "to get"

So are you asking the procedure "to get" a torch, because it sounds like you already have a torch in your hand....so that doesn't make sense....

You can get more torches out of a burning fire, taking a torch subtracts 10 minutes from an active fire....

You could craft more torches from the crafting menu as well, the ones you craft start at 100% condition. Ones you pull from a fire seem to be at 50-20 condition.

Are you asking how "to light" a torch? To light a torch you need matches, a fire, or an already burning torch. If you place the cursor over a burning fire or a lit torch on the ground and push the button to light a torch, you will light the torch.

If you don't have a burning fire or torch already and push the light button you will lose a match. If you don't have a burning fire, torch, or matches then you CAN'T light a torch. They are NOT flares. They are not "self-lighting."

"I'm trying to be in the middle of a fishing expedition, and I can't fish for playing with the burning stick. Thank you. "

What does that mean?

You are trying to fish but you can't because you are holding a burning totch?

You have to extinguish the torch before you put it away. You can't put a burning torch in your pocket....you would catch fire and die.

Hold down the button you use to light a torch (LMB?) to put it out. Then the cancel button to put it away....

Thanks for responding. I had taken a torch out of the fire, but I couldn't figure out how one goes about putting it out before it was ruined. LOL I ruined one before I finally figured it out. I then had to learn that equipping a torch isn't the last step in using it. That was all. I ruined one in the process of trying to find out how all this works, but I now believe I've got it down right. Thank you. (  *sheepish grin*  )

Yea, you can pick up or even craft unused torches, so when you equip those, you need to "light them" by pressing and holding the left mouse button. To put them out, pressing the same button is pretty easy - guess you were spoiled by the fact that we can now pull torches out of fire, which wasnt the case in the past, in past we had "brands" - which I kind of really miss, actually. The current system is so often used to make tons of torches and save up on matches, but oh well, cant complain much as it makes Interloper traveling a lot easier.

Just a notion too, something to remember - you can obviously throw a torch away with right click, but something many people dont know is that you can use a burning torch that is on the ground, or a campfire on the ground, to light an unlit torch in your hand, by left clicking on it. This is really useful to remember, if you wish to save up your matches.

If Thrasador wants to take a leave of absence, everyone can feel free to tag me in for questions in here, or just straight up PM me - I am always happy to answer questions, if I know answers to them :)

I really hate to have to admit this. (I was having trouble with my both my browsers saying they couldn't access these pages earlier as I tried to log in to get answer.) My first run (which I cut short) on Story Mode did not go well. LOL I could not access my stats. I could not access any inventory. Any movement I tried to make would not happen. I was just stuck there looking at a stick sticking out of my hand. Granted, the Aurora was quite nice as I lay there freezing to death. I felt I tried everything just to be able to get started. Any insight(s) into what available option I missed would be much appreciated. Apparently, it might have been wise for me to stay with Survival mode until I get used to all the changes in interfaces and controls. Yet, I would truly like to venture into this. Thank you.

1 hour ago, CitrinePeridot said:

I really hate to have to admit this. (I was having trouble with my both my browsers saying they couldn't access these pages earlier as I tried to log in to get answer.) My first run (which I cut short) on Story Mode did not go well. LOL I could not access my stats. I could not access any inventory. Any movement I tried to make would not happen. I was just stuck there looking at a stick sticking out of my hand. Granted, the Aurora was quite nice as I lay there freezing to death. I felt I tried everything just to be able to get started. Any insight(s) into what available option I missed would be much appreciated. Apparently, it might have been wise for me to stay with Survival mode until I get used to all the changes in interfaces and controls. Yet, I would truly like to venture into this. Thank you.

You have to move the cursor to the metal shard in your hand and click on it. After the bar on the screen shows up you have to tap to fill the bar up like in a wolf struggle....

Your hand is right in front of your face with a piece of metal shrapnel in it....you didn't try clicking on it, but you tried opening your inventory....?

Well,...no. I didn't. Never been in a wolf fight. In the free version I had I had it set on easiest there as well. LOL I did, however, finally see something flicker and realized that was what I was supposed to do. Then apparently it was all about timing on getting it out. So, I'm getting off to an especially brilliant start here. *grin* I'm feeling smarter by the minute. Can you tell? Even if I'm the only one who has been so fortunate to have such a clever moment, at least I asked. At least I've got "dedication to the cause" in my corner. ROFL Thank you for responding.  :-)

To be honest, I have a thousand hours in the game on sandbox, and even I didnt know what to do with the metal shard. I got to the point where I was pretty much starting to freeze when in frustration I finally managed to move my mouse over the metal piece while clicking on it when the animation of pulling it out started. Then I felt like an idiot - but truth is, this is a common problem for people starting up, it could be hinted somehow.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:39 PM, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Edit 2: Was doing Hopeless Rescue, running through PV and found a bear coming out from his cave for a morning walk, over near Long Curve. Although I'm aiming, I left him unharmed. :)

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.4c5558852c82d2007f3eeccc136a9f4a.png

I'll call this one Doctor Bear, as his cave is right next to where the PV Medical Prepper cache spawns!

That's the same bear. He has only one foraging route. From his cave he goes south, straight to the farmhouse. Then he turns west and explores the small patch of orchard west of the farmhouse. Then he goes north and explores the largest patch of orchard where the wolves roam. He seems to warder around there for a while before going back to his cave.

16 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

To put them out, pressing the same button is pretty easy - guess you were spoiled by the fact that we can now pull torches out of fire, which wasnt the case in the past, in past we had "brands" - which I kind of really miss, actually. The current system is so often used to make tons of torches and save up on matches, but oh well, cant complain much as it makes Interloper traveling a lot easier.

It actually started out with the ability to take full condition torches out of a fire but then they changed that to brands due to the exploit. Brands however, have another problem, they leave an item behind which cannot be picked up and disposed of. It could block access to some items if they were dropped on the same spot.

2 hours ago, shade_grey said:

That's the same bear. He has only one foraging route. From his cave he goes south, straight to the farmhouse. Then he turns west and explores the small patch of orchard west of the farmhouse. Then he goes north and explores the largest patch of orchard where the wolves roam. He seems to warder around there for a while before going back to his cave.

To my knowledge, there are four separate bear caves in PV. Are you sure this is really the same bear when there are some that are much closer to the Farmstead? Not accusing you of being wrong, I'm just interested in how you know this?

Ok. Because of the settings I choose, I have not encountered bears though I will eventually do that. How does one tell them apart? Are they different in appearance. Or, is it where you find them. If so, then how would one know which it is? It's a newbie question no doubt, but I will eventually be dealing with this and would wish to know.

Archived