Mel Guille

Tips for new survivors

If you're stuck in a Valley, without enough energy to make the climb out, but do not have your bedroll, remember you can ALWAYS make an emergency shelter to sleep things off.  Sticks are surely found and your the clothes on your back can be harvested.  It's also possible to make a fire outside the shelter, if warmth is a problem.  With all those resources at hand, you should never die in a valley due to rope-exhaustion.

• Upvote 3

This is basic stuff, but it is very useful.

We know that each type of clothes has an inner layer slot and an outer layer slot, (inner layer goes near the picture of the survivor in the menu).

It is important to noticed that you may wear a vest under a jacket but never a vest over a jacket.

So if you are playing early game and equip a jacket on the inner layer slot, (by mistake), then you can not combine with the down-vest.
20190129153017_1.thumb.jpg.0bf5327d92da66fd669ff4c53759c336.jpg

A simple concept once you understand, but it has fooled me more than once as I rush to choose the best clothes for warmth. :coffee: 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

We know that each type of clothes has an inner layer slot and an outer layer slot, (inner layer goes near the picture of the survivor in the menu).

Good info, and it's not obvious when putting on clothes.

The hat slots at the upper left are an exception - the inner (right) slot is the outer layer.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Upvote 1

Hollow trees!

They aren't very common but sometimes you may run into one. And they're not a new addition. They work perfectly as natural fireplaces, you can light a long lasting fire in them and camp safely without worrying about wind. And wolves.

• Upvote 6

You don't have to bring everything - you can and will come back to most places.

• Upvote 2

Wolves have dignity. Even an almost dead limping wolf won't let you simply come near enough to pluck your arrow from its butt and get away with it. Yes, I've tried. It will turn on you with its dying breath.

• Upvote 2

I’m not sure if this has been posted yet but when you pull torches out of the fire, where you grab it from dictates the percentage that they are. So if you find that sweet spot you can pull out almost 50% torches.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Skavenger416 said:

I’m not sure if this has been posted yet but when you pull torches out of the fire, where you grab it from dictates the percentage that they are. So if you find that sweet spot you can pull out almost 50% torches.

I had noticed different percentages but I didn't know this was the reason. Good tip.

When traveling, try to chase bunnies (or deer...rabbits are easier) towards the direction you are headed and especially over ridges.  This wolf was waiting just over the edge of my line of sight and I would have been his lunch had my fluffy friend not taken the hit for me :/

screen_3e3a482b-1a63-4e6b-aeb6-651eac201925_hi.png

• Upvote 2

If you find a cup of coffee or tea, warm it by a fire. When you pick it up, you will get a skill point. ONLY happens with found coffee or tea.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 1:14 PM, Doc Feral said:

Hollow trees!

They aren't very common but sometimes you may run into one. And they're not a new addition. They work perfectly as natural fireplaces, you can light a long lasting fire in them and camp safely without worrying about wind. And wolves.

I've just tried it against a blizzard: a campfire in a hollow tree is totally windproof.

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2019 at 1:14 PM, greatwhitegamer said:

Play it safe.

Always. 

Care to expand on that? 🤔

Just now, hozz1235 said:

Care to expand on that? 🤔

Why? It sounds pretty clear to me. Play it safe, always = dont take any risks. Which is not a bad way to play for newbies :)

Just now, Mroz4k said:

Why? It sounds pretty clear to me. Play it safe, always = dont take any risks. Which is not a bad way to play for newbies :)

What is a risk?  What is safe?

Just now, hozz1235 said:

What is a risk?  What is safe?

Again, I dont see the point? Id say its pretty clear that within the game, it often comes down to a decision between two choices when doing something - the risky way, or the safe way. So, always go the "safe" way :D 

If you have to ask yourself whether it is better to stay indoors and rest up a bit, recover condition, or push through dangerous territory with animals while tired, I think it is pretty clear here what is the safe choice, and what is the risky one :) 

See, those are specific examples of how to play it safe.  I think that's what people are looking for in this thread.  If I was new to the game and I read that post, it would be meaningless to me.

2 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

See, those are specific examples of how to play it safe.  I think that's what people are looking for in this thread.  If I was new to the game and I read that post, it would be meaningless to me.

Gotcha, well, I think it comes down to personal preference. For me, that message was pretty clear and cut, if I was knew, Id understand exactly what it means. :) 

Well, to add my 2 cents on the pile of tips:

Advanced tip on hunting by using stones.

Put only 1 stone, and the weapon of your choosing into your inventory. Find a deer that you want to hunt, and pull the stone out. Aim in the air above the deer, and throw the stone behind the deer. As the stone is traveling, hit "weapon" quickdraw key again to pull out your weapon.

If you did it correctly, the deer should now be running straight at you. Aim & shoot. A pretty good way to hunt deer with bows, it takes a bit of practise, but it is not that hard in the end. :) 

You can use this same thing to convince "rabbits" to start moving towards you instead of away from you. 

Not sure if this tip has been given or not, but here is mine for the pile. Pay attention to the crows over corpses, if they start to fly away during the day that means that the weather is about to get worst (maybe even a storm is coming). 

@Mroz4k @hozz1235

Seems a old post of mine has sparked a debate. 

When I said that I meant don't take a risk when you know it could be the end of your run or put you in a bad situation. 

I only said "Play it safe" because I didn't want to completely spoil the fact that if you make poor choices and make dangerous decisions, it could end your run. I still wanted who ever read this to see this and learn something, but also still let them learn from their own mistakes (if you know what I mean). 

Cheers. :coffee:

I also just noticed Hinterland added a TON of emojis. 

Dont think the explanation was necessary :) I really dont understand what the point of that remark was. Especially on a comment that has been two months old.

@Mroz4k, I fully understand you don't understand my point.  For the sake of others, I won't continue discussing this.  Let's agree to disagree and let it lie.

• Upvote 1

I always carry a fresh gut. One gut can be used as a wolf distraction without having to worry about losing calories. 

Useful if you need to get somewhere and don't have time to play cat and mouse with a woofer. Just drop a gut and he completely loses interest in you. It saved my life a few times, when there's been a wolf between me and an indoor building in a blizzard and I don't have the condition for a struggle.

2 hours ago, Kitsune_Wizard said:

I always carry a fresh gut. One gut can be used as a wolf distraction without having to worry about losing calories. 

Useful if you need to get somewhere and don't have time to play cat and mouse with a woofer. Just drop a gut and he completely loses interest in you. It saved my life a few times, when there's been a wolf between me and an indoor building in a blizzard and I don't have the condition for a struggle.

Using a small piece (the 0.1 kgs or so harvesting leftover) of cooked meat is better. While effective as a decoy, it doesn't smell as bad as a gut and won't draw so many wolves to you. It does smell and attracts them, just not as much and from a smaller distance. Check the hud: a single gut gives you a full stinkpuff, a small piece of cooked meat doesn't.

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 2