ChillPlayer

3D Print: The Long Dark Fox Coaster

I made this coaster for 3D Printing based on hinterlands famous Fox logo, fits perfectly under a coffee mug.Once I got my multicolor extension I'd print the bottom white and the fox red, as it's supposed to be ;)

The model can be downloaded here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2390291

[EDIT] printed it again with 0.1mm layerheight instead of 0.2mm and it looks much cleaner ;)

new_fox.jpg

mnewf.jpg

Edited by ChillPlayer
  • Upvote 9

Neat! I think this is the first 3D-printed fan project we've seen.

Did you use a heat-resistant polymer?

This was printed with PLA which melts at around 170C, shouldn't be a problem for a mug of coffee ;) To make it it completely (long-term) waterresistent one can coat it with some sort of epoxy like XTC-3D for example.

• Upvote 1

nice coaster, not sure about the mug and toxic effects it might have, think I will stay with clay or ceramic cups for now.

Edited by nicko

The mug is ceramic, I only printed an airbrush stencil to paint the TLD logo on it. I wouldn't drink from a printed mug either :D

Edited by ChillPlayer

isn't that getting to copyright issues? surely you can't just copy and print their logo willy nilly on objects you want to make? well I guess you can personally, issue is if it become you or others try selling for profit? im not saying you would just say what if.

Edited by nicko

1 hour ago, ChillPlayer said:

The mug is ceramic, I only printed an airbrush stencil to paint the TLD logo on it. I wouldn't drink from a printed mug either :D

nice to know.

Really creative, but also useful! I would definitely love one of these, and will make sure to check the link out,

After 5 months of waiting the MultiMaterial upgrade kit finally arrived and I can now print with up to four different materials/colors. Of course the TLD Coaster was the first thing I tried to print "for real" and I am very happy with the result. Took some fiddling around with the - now three-part - model and the printer needs to be set up perfectly but then it prints amazingly well. I've already printed three of them and will print some more with individual colors for every one in my family :D

Here's the thingie, there's also a link in the description to Tinkercad so you can customize it yourself: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2635794

IMG_20171109_191639.thumb.jpg.cd2aa3a6fd594b2de7400c0fe8877f01.jpg

@nicko as far as I know they are okay with using TLD logos as long as it is not for profit. I don't make a single buck with that, on the contrary, I lose money for printing material and printing with MM is extra expensive :D

Edited by ChillPlayer
  • Upvote 2

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎09 at 1:56 PM, ChillPlayer said:

After 5 months of waiting the MultiMaterial upgrade kit finally arrived and I can now print with up to four different materials/colors. Of course the TLD Coaster was the first thing I tried to print "for real" and I am very happy with the result. Took some fiddling around with the - now three-part - model and the printer needs to be set up perfectly but then it prints amazingly well. I've already printed three of them and will print some more with individual colors for every one in my family :D

Here's the thingie, there's also a link in the description to Tinkercad so you can customize it yourself: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2635794

IMG_20171109_191639.thumb.jpg.cd2aa3a6fd594b2de7400c0fe8877f01.jpg

@nicko as far as I know they are okay with using TLD logos as long as it is not for profit. I don't make a single buck with that, on the contrary, I lose money for printing material and printing with MM is extra expensive :D

Beautiful work @ChillPlayer :) 

On 6/17/2017 at 5:31 PM, ChillPlayer said:

I made this coaster for 3D Printing based on hinterlands famous Fox logo, fits perfectly under a coffee mug.Once I got my multicolor extension I'd print the bottom white and the fox red, as it's supposed to be ;)

The model can be downloaded here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2390291

[EDIT] printed it again with 0.1mm layerheight instead of 0.2mm and it looks much cleaner ;)

new_fox.jpg

mnewf.jpg

this is neat!

thank you for your welcome :) .... I have some positive  issues with the long dark - and constructive views also. Bit early here in UK get back to you soon :)