Shelter Construction...

cufreeze

• Hinterland

At the moment, not really. Most shelters are placed in the world, but we do have some ideas for "emergency" shelters which are player instanced. We're still working out the details and tuning challenges around this. But, I could see this system being expanded in the future, depending on what we find out through the Alpha playtesting.

I think being able to build shelters would be a great feature for TLD.

It would also add some more realism. I mean, in reality, even without any tools, you'd be able to make a simple lean too with just some branches and evergreen boughs to get out of the wind. It could easily be the difference between life or death in a cold environment.

• 3 weeks later...

Logan, I was joking. I would like to see the ability to build a makeshift shelter from the materials found around you. A nice lean two that would add warmth and a cover from the elements. Maybe A "Home Base" So to speak.

Now as far as finding a cabin and claiming it for your own...that would be cool too.

• 5 months later...

There are all sorts of shelter options; with tarps and a bit of cordage you can approximate a tent pretty easily. Evergreen-bough leantos are also a realistic and setting-appropriate option. Snow shelters can be done with a shovel; igloos are a bit harder and need specialized tools to build properly.

Of course, none of these are anywhere near as comfy as cabins...

• 1 month later...

A shelter, maybe in mid or late game, would be an excellent idea.

It would need a lot of raw materials, some rare items, but I think people would love to aim for that goal of creating your own home, and using raw materials to make their own stove, tables, etc.

Again not an early game thing, but something to look forward to 30 days into the game, after your character has been established.

• 3 months later...

Also down the road for sandbox I would like to see more construction items added.

1)A meat locker outdoors would be nice. Time to build and materials needed could be determined at the time the build is setup by the player choosing the amount of meat by weight that they wish the structure to hold. Possibly the strength of the structure may be considered too since it may have to hold up to bears in the future. A raided meat locker could be a severe problem to overcome.

2)A constructable firewood box based again on the size chosen when building. The problem with dropping firewood is that you really have no idea how much you have. A container can show stock levels.

3) A smoker box. This is really the only way to preserve the meat and fish for long term storage and should be a much longer process than just cooking that will have to be monitored.

4) spike boards or just plain spikes that could be constructed from hardwood could be laid out as a deterrent from raiding critters,,,possibly injuring one and leaving a blood trail or even causing the animal to become one of those crazed injured killer critters.

5) Saws, full size axes, etc. that have already been mentioned. All of these could technically be built using the small notched tree method without nails. Perhaps minor maintenance needed should wind exceed a specified speed. The structure could show the same quality percentage as other items when it is opened. Not necessarily alot of materials, but just time needed to be invested to keep it functional. Again, this leads back to an earlier post where just having the time to survive should be a big part of your daily priorities.

Oh, P.S.

Perhaps nails could be another item that could be foraged from all of the surrounding structures with a finite number being available from each one?

Perhaps having to deal with ex-tenants or people who wish to move in would be a bit difficult and dangerous.

The first time i found the Trappers Cabing I thought I stumbled upon someone. There was smoke coming from the chimney and there was some opened food inside. It genuinely looked inhabited.

Archived