Forlorn Muskeg

Ahatch

My first post on the new forms . A little had to read with this color scheme

Day 56 Yes I'm still on Forlorn! A funny thing happened for starters I was going to make my trek to the Poachers Camp and I had a beautiful clear day and I started to make across the swamp as the wolves were patroling the ruined bunkhouses. Then I fell through the ice and had to turn around and go back to the homestead. I shot a deer and started work on the deerskin boots as I had enough gutt and hide. My last sewing kit cratered so I had to craft a fishing tackle to continue work on the boots. This caused me to be  short of gut to even work on the boots so I thought I would stick around to check the caves nearby for cured gutt but none were left(I know I have a whole bunch at bunny cave though but very far away and a rope climb). It was a clear path to the one cave so I moved all my gutt over there from my kills. I had a lot of fresh gut stowed in the homestead that I couldn't move at once due to not wanting to draw to much attention to myself. So then I went back and looked at Whiteberrys map to see if there anywhere unexplored on this map that might have matches as my striker was done and I'm at 3 matches. I lit my last two fires with flares and I have 2  more flares in my inventory. I seen I had not been at the Muskeg Overlook so I made my way back into the swamp and again fell through the ice but this time I made it to the cave near the outlook.  I managed to scare the wolf with my rifle blocking my way and made it to the pass. At the outlook I found birch and maple sapling and the corpse just had a chocalate bar which was a real bummer to say the least. So I'm not sure what to do I'm back at the cave with still 3 matches and 2 flares no magnifying glass so a real dilemna if I'm to survive I have to kill another deer  so of course I'm going to have to use up my last few matches. So I think I may once again have to try to get to the Poachers camp but skirting the outside has it's hazards between wolves and falling through the ice by the steep banks.  

TLDFMU19.png

TLDFMU18.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Ahatch said:

I made my way back into the swamp and again fell through the ice

Doesn't falling through the ice automatically induce hypothermia? How do you cure hypothermia and move around so heavily loaded (incl. rifle) when hypothermia makes you almost immediately tired?

Well I got hyphothermia but my temp went red but my fatigue didn't drop off completely (playing voyageur)  so my condition didn't take a huge hit making my way back to the cave. When you fall through once it isn't a death sentence , it's if you fall through a second time that is pretty much kills you. 

1 hour ago, Ahatch said:

My first post on the new forms . A little had to read with this color scheme

Day 56 Yes I'm still on Forlorn! A funny thing happened for starters I was going to make my trek to the Poachers Camp and I had a beautiful clear day and I started to make across the swamp as the wolves were patroling the ruined bunkhouses. Then I fell through the ice and had to turn around and go back to the homestead. I shot a deer and started work on the deerskin boots as I had enough gutt and hide. My last sewing kit cratered so I had to craft a fishing tackle to continue work on the boots. This caused me to be  short of gut to even work on the boots so I thought I would stick around to check the caves nearby for cured gutt but none were left(I know I have a whole bunch at bunny cave though but very far away and a rope climb). It was a clear path to the one cave so I moved all my gutt over there from my kills. I had a lot of fresh gut stowed in the homestead that I couldn't move at once due to not wanting to draw to much attention to myself. So then I went back and looked at Whiteberrys map to see if there anywhere unexplored on this map that might have matches as my striker was done and I'm at 3 matches. I lit my last two fires with flares and I have 2  more flares in my inventory. I seen I had not been at the Muskeg Overlook so I made my way back into the swamp and again fell through the ice but this time I made it to the cave near the outlook.  I managed to scare the wolf with my rifle blocking my way and made it to the pass. At the outlook I found birch and maple sapling and the corpse just had a chocalate bar which was a real bummer to say the least. So I'm not sure what to do I'm back at the cave with still 3 matches and 2 flares no magnifying glass so a real dilemna if I'm to survive I have to kill another deer  so of course I'm going to have to use up my last few matches. So I think I may once again have to try to get to the Poachers camp but skirting the outside has it's hazards between wolves and falling through the ice by the steep banks.  

TLDFMU19.png

TLDFMU18.png

It's not necessarily a rope climb to get to the "bunny cave." I believe there is only one place in the entirety of FM where you can deploy a rope and it is next to the "waterfall cave." If you travel due north of the Farmstead and try to avoid thin ice by island hopping, you eventually get to a stream that you follow to the top and there is a waterfall. Just to the right of the waterfall (while facing the waterfall) is a cave....further east is the radio tower. If you go through that cave system (pretty long will need a torch) you come out at that plateau where the bunnies are where you deployed the rope. There is another shallow cave in the back of the plateau and maybe a couple dead guys....one near the waterfall cave exit on the plateau and one in the back of the plateau...

You will save a lot of exhaustion by traversing the cave instead of climbing the rope, at the expense of a torch or a match to make a campfire in the cave and grabbing some torches.

Heh I call it the bunny cave as I spent a few days there living off rabbits ;) Yes you are right I could make it through the cave by the waterfall (radio tower) that's the route I took to get therein the first place. I have a lamp on the rope side of the cave left there as well.  I looted the corpse up there already as well as the one inside  the cave system. I didn't find any corpse on the hills by the tunnel colapse area , I looted the low blind as well. So not sure if there is any left up that corner of the map left  .I could easily go to the Poachers Camp and then cave hop to make it to the radio tower and like you said gather fire wood then build a fire at this end of the cave and then build a second fire half way through the cave system  before my torch runs out :) It is a possibility and I could gather some more coal as well which could come in handy back at the forge. I have quite a few gut and rabbit pelts there that I could use back at the homestead. I have yet to explore the area past the amandoned camp on that side of the map so perhaps there is some loot to be had there .  I want to try to stretch it out on this map as long as possible.

39 minutes ago, Ahatch said:

Heh I call it the bunny cave as I spent a few days there living off rabbits ;) Yes you are right I could make it through the cave by the waterfall (radio tower) that's the route I took to get therein the first place. I have a lamp on the rope side of the cave left there as well.  I looted the corpse up there already as well as the one inside  the cave system. I didn't find any corpse on the hills by the tunnel colapse area , I looted the low blind as well. So not sure if there is any left up that corner of the map left  .I could easily go to the Poachers Camp and then cave hop to make it to the radio tower and like you said gather fire wood then build a fire at this end of the cave and then build a second fire half way through the cave system  before my torch runs out :) It is a possibility and I could gather some more coal as well which could come in handy back at the forge. I have quite a few gut and rabbit pelts there that I could use back at the homestead. I have yet to explore the area past the amandoned camp on that side of the map so perhaps there is some loot to be had there .  I want to try to stretch it out on this map as long as possible.

I don't believe there is much north of the poacher's camp, probably cattails, mushrooms, saplings, and often a bear. Under the radio tower there is usually a metal box or two, and sometimes a couple dead guys around....and sometimes a wolf....

The highlights of FM is the Farmstead and surrounding buildings, the low blind, the high blind, the Poacher's Camp and the waterfall cave. There is sometimes a couple dead guys north of the Farmstead on the islands, and maybe a hollow tree with a backpack around there too, but I imagine like most people who explore FM for a week or more, you have already seen what little there is to see....

It's a big map, with lots of shallow caves, cattails, mushrooms, and lichen, but not much loot. Once you loot those five or so main areas, most people decide the wolves are not worth the risk of just hanging around there for funzies...if you get what I'm saying. It's a great accomplishment to manage to survive for an extended amount of time there, but I would find it boring and probably go insane if I segregated myself to that one particular map. Especially that map. I could live with Coastal Highway....

Well Day 64 I ended my run on Forlorn Muskeg , I could have stretched it out a bit longer but the game done some updates that caused all the natural plantlife to respawn . So as I was about my business I could harvest saplings etc that were not there before. I had wittled my matches down to 2 with 1 flare and I felt I had to leave the relative safety of the Farmstead ( or wait to die of dehydration )and I made my way to the second cave past the bunkhouses. From there after a good sleep I had clear skys and made it to the poachers camp very easily. I stopped by the high blind on the way there and a copy of the book on archery was in there. Kinda ironic because I started the run finding a single arrow and depleted bow there. I made it to the Camp Office after getting wolfed on the railway track. On another note , I had spent so many days at the farmstead with the locker shut because I didn't have a crowbar to open it. I'm guessing there's a box of matches or a rifle cleaning kit in there LOL . I found a crowbar right as I entered Mystery Lake. :D Anyway have some matches and now going to check out the updates to Mystery Lake as I haven't seen the new look.   

TLDFMU22.png

TLDFMU23.png

3 minutes ago, Ahatch said:

Well Day 64 I ended my run on Forlorn Muskeg , I could have stretched it out a bit longer but the game done some updates that caused all the natural plantlife to respawn . So as I was about my business I could harvest saplings etc that were not there before. I had wittled my matches down to 2 with 1 flare and I felt I had to leave the relative safety of the Farmstead ( or wait to die of dehydration )and I made my way to the second cave past the bunkhouses. From there after a good sleep I had clear skys and made it to the poachers camp very easily. I stopped by the high blind on the way there and a copy of the book on archery was in there. Kinda ironic because I started the run finding a single arrow and depleted bow there. I made it to the Camp Office after getting wolfed on the railway track. On another note , I had spent so many days at the farmstead with the locker shut because I didn't have a crowbar to open it. I'm guessing there's a box of matches or a rifle cleaning kit in there LOL . I found a crowbar right as I entered Mystery Lake. :D Anyway have some matches and now going to check out the updates to Mystery Lake as I haven't seen the new look.   

TLDFMU22.png

TLDFMU23.png

Awesome, good for you man! Enjoy the new additions!

On 06/08/2017 at 2:56 PM, Ahatch said:

I stopped by the high blind on the way there and a copy of the book on archery was in there.

Man.. you just made my day.. so there's not only a book on sewing, but one on archery too! Both the items I requested got added! Woohoo!

Congrats on your 64 day adventure.. well done!
(don't forget to let us know what was in the locked locker)

Heh yes I'll be going back into Forlorn when I find a rifle cleaning kit and some more bullets to find out what was in that locker ;) Like the new look of the buildings just finished looting everything near Mystery Lake Camp Office have a couple weeks to cover everything off here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am sitting cozy and safe at the Trappers Homestead on Day 74 but the plan now is to cross Forlorn to the new region Broken Railway.  I have looted everything as far as the little cabin by the unnamed pond but have not been up the way of the derailment and tower way as of yet. I have lots of loot though almost too much to carry and I found more saplings here so arrow shafts a plenty. So to avoid boredom I need to get back out and take the risk too see if I can survive some more days on Forlorn :) I have some unfinished business in terms of that locker at Spencers and I have lots of gutt and hides in all the caves along the way. 

On 6/19/2017 at 5:16 AM, ChillPlayer said:

I find FM one of the easier maps to survive, especially on Interloper because there are tons of Cat Tails to gather and a plateau with bunnies without any wolf. Hunt some rabbits, then live off CT until they respawn, rinse & repeat. There's also some good loot to be found, a forge and a loading-screen cave. Only difficult thing is to navigate across weak ice without running into wolves.

Plus it's very close to ML full of deer and fish and a guaranteed (?) spawnpoint for the MagGlass ;)

But it's so cold...

Forlorn Musket is probably the map I like the least so far. Mostly because it is inconsistent with the rest of the game in regards to the ice. How can Mystery Lake be completely frozen yet a shallow patch tundra ponds is mostly thin ice? Ruins the map for me.

Heh read some thread that said I done 74 days on Interloper LOL nope Voyageur. I'm sitting pretty at the Trappers Homestead 84 days in my run and I'm bored because I have everything I need to survive. My clothes are all good , tonnes of food, firewood and over 50 matches. A new rifle with 13 bulllets and over 30 arrow stalks so I'm going to try to die by returning to Forlorn. I have a locker to open so tonights goal is to pack everything I can carry and make for the Poachers Camp then make for the Spencers farmstead. :) 

Well I couldn't live on easy street at the Trapper's Homestead and I wanted to go back to my home at Spencers LOL and so I headed to the tunnel . I chased a deer ahead of me there and steered it towards the wolf patrolling the area by the tracks. It worked and he took the bait. I tried to shoot the wolf with the bow but missed and he ran off. I spent another rifle shell to scare him so I could retrieve my arrows and I made my escape. 

From there I just went up to Poachers camp and had a short nap then I made a bid for my cave so I started across the muskeg. I managed to get to the middle and a blizzard set in but I creeped along not crossing any open areas and found myself at the shed with the barrels which was great. I passed time there warming up out of the wind then made a dash for Spencers where I built a nice fire and had some herbal tea.

I took a 2 hour nap then remembered to open that dang locker and see what was is in it. Well climbing socks and a nice parka I could have used that the first 30 days LOL. Anyway going to hunt a bit here then make for the new region on the other side of this map.

TLDFMU26.png

TLDFMU28.png

TLDFMU27.png

TLDFMU29.png

TLDFMU30.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well this run is still going , after making it back here I stuck around the homestead a bit then I went on an excursion over to the interior cave to retrieve my rabbit hides and gut . The rope I had put down was gone and I checked the original spawn location and seen it was not there either. I made another blunder or perhaps another product of an update my heavy hammer was gone. I was sure I left it by the bed at Spencer Farmstead but it was gone. I wasted some coal wanting to forge a couple items as I brought some scrap metal back with me from the train wreck by the low blind. So on day 104 I made a decision that I was going to make for the new region Broken Railway. I decided I would leave my good knife and hatchet and take my depleted improvised knife. I wanted to save the knife to get a sharpening stone. I got wolfed by the first wolf in the new region and my knife was spent. I harvested the wolf carcass with my bare hands so needless to say the next time I get wolfed I'll have just a pry bar. I made it to the Maintenance Yard now and found a sharpening stone LOL so I feel pretty dumb. Anyway going to hang out here and look around and make a bid for the hunting lodge for more loot :)

On 8/1/2017 at 0:41 PM, Thrasador said:

It's not necessarily a rope climb to get to the "bunny cave." I believe there is only one place in the entirety of FM where you can deploy a rope and it is next to the "waterfall cave." If you travel due north of the Farmstead and try to avoid thin ice by island hopping, you eventually get to a stream that you follow to the top and there is a waterfall. Just to the right of the waterfall (while facing the waterfall) is a cave....further east is the radio tower. If you go through that cave system (pretty long will need a torch) you come out at that plateau where the bunnies are where you deployed the rope. There is another shallow cave in the back of the plateau and maybe a couple dead guys....one near the waterfall cave exit on the plateau and one in the back of the plateau...

You will save a lot of exhaustion by traversing the cave instead of climbing the rope, at the expense of a torch or a match to make a campfire in the cave and grabbing some torches.

Probably a bit late but in story mode I found a way up onto that plateau without using the rope or the cave. Straight across from the cave on the frozen river (maybe down stream a bit) if you play on the ledges a bit you can get up onto the plateau. Now I have not tried it on any of the survivor modes yet but I am close to it in my current interloper run so I might try it out in the next couple of days.   

Archived