KD7BCH's Torch Issues

Wasteland Watcher

1 hour ago, KD7BCH said:

anybody else annoyed to all hell, that you start a fire, and get that 1m, and you dont even have time to add fuel.
It doesn't go to embers it just burns out. Super lame. You should have a minimum 5 seconds to add fuel when you start a new fire. 

I haven't experienced it happen this way even with lowest level fire starting skill. I start the fire with the mag glass, and it has about 1 min left, so I immediately throw 2 sticks on it so I can pull the torch-formerly-known-as-brand from it.

40 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Are you indoors or outside when this happens? Because if there's any breeze blowing, the fire may burn out faster.

15 minutes ago, KD7BCH said:

Camp Office, Ready to get a fire going with my torch that I brought in from outside, having started the fire with the mag glass, whole thing takes about 3-4 min in game time, and you get a fire going with a torch you get 1m on the fire, and as soon as you extinguish the torch, you've lost the fire. [CAW CAW!] Go back outside and if your first fire is till burning you can try again another 3-4 min time sink. I just feel the 1m (2-3 game seconds) isn't enough and why the hell don't you have any embers for a fire you just got going. No option to add 2 sticks either. 

Like JAFO said, maybe the wind is what's causing the issue cause I start fires and pull torches-formerly-known-as-brands every time I play without issue. As soon as fire has started immediately click on it & throw 2~3 sticks on for safe measure.
Also, if I'm concerned about needing the fire for whatever reason sometimes I'll throw enough sticks on for a 30 min fire. It's helped a few times.

1 hour ago, MueckE said:

Happens now and then to me too. KD7BCH is right, could use some tweaking. Maybe the burning time of the stick to start the fire is raised a little from 7 to 10 minutes. This would do the trick without enabling again the infinite fire abuse.

In game time scale is 1 to 12, so even 7 minute fire in game should last like 35 seconds irl. Id say problem is not fire duration from sticks, but some kind of bug. So, rising it from 7 to 10 minutes will do nothing.

I've had the 1 sec fire that burns out to no embers cos I wasnt fast enough,  if your holding a torch or some such, you have to unequip it before clicking the fire, take to long and you lose the fire.

If it went to embers so I could relight it I'd be happier, it feels a bit unfair the way it is

My only bitchin was because I had to freeze my ass off starting the fire outside, then carry the torch inside, light it, have to re-light it, finally got it going, put out my torch to realize my fire had gone out inside that 2-3 seconds I was extinguishing my torch and waiting for the little circular icon to spin and put it back in my imaginary pack, and then add my sticks and low and behold fire was out and I became annoyed by the game at that. 

It doesn't always have to be bad design or illogical actions its just anything that annoys a player detracts from the overall gameplay. So much of the game is mastering the min-maxing and conserving and so you want to make a torch last, anyway just thoughts. 

Archived