v.423 Not working on Linux

ppedro

Since test branch discussions were removed, here's a new one.

I have tried launching the game on Arch Linux 4.9 and Debian Stretch 4.9. Both produce the same result. I know you're investigating this, so I created the thread so that me and others can help (with logs, screenshots etc.).

Let me know if there is anything more I can do/provide that could help you with the investigation.

Attached are my Steam terminal output (LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose), Player.log from unity and a screenshot of my desktop after "launching" the game.

Player.log-tld.txt

steam-log-tld.txt

tld-crash-screen.png

Tried launching the 32-bit version, and it hangs on a black screen. Had to telinit (ctrl+alt+F2) my way out. Here is the terminal output from that try:

ppedro@ppbox:~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark$ ./tld.x86
Set current directory to /home/ppedro/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark
Found path: /home/ppedro/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark/tld.x86
Mono path[0] = '/home/ppedro/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark/tld_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/ppedro/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark/tld_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/ppedro/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark/tld_Data/Mono/etc'
Preloaded 'libAkConvolutionReverb.so'
Preloaded 'libBinkPluginLnx.so'
Preloaded 'libCSteamworks.so'
Preloaded 'libsteam_api.so'
Unable to preload the following plugins:
	ScreenSelector.so
	libAkSoundEngine.so
	libBink2.so
Player data archive not found at `/home/ppedro/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/TheLongDark/tld_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem

Ooh! I got the game running, but at main menu all sound disappeared and didn't return (tried a new sandbox). :(

To get it to launch I installed libSDL2 from source following these instructions:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libasound2-dev
wget http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL2-2.0.3.tar.gz
tar -zxvf SDL2-2.0.3.tar.gz
cd SDL2-2.0.3
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
sudo reboot

edit. Confirmed, audio works in cinematic movie at launch and disappears when the movie ends/is interrupted.

Player.log-tld-launched-nosound.txt

After the Cartographer update, I had some of the same problems described above on SteamOS:

- I get sound through the intro, but after that I get silence.

The game works in all other respects as far as I can tell.

Sound worked perfectly before the last update.

Looking forward to a fix!

Thanks,

jonbitzen

Game won't start on Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 amd64.

Tried building latest libsdl from http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL2-2.0.5.tar.gz but that did not change anything. Not even without sound... Any outlook on a fix?

For people using the native Linux steam client - I was just able to get into game after doing this:

People who are used to changing things in linux/steam skip to the parts you need, I'm trying to be as complete as I can for those who haven't had to do this before.

In your Steam library right click on The Long Dark and select 'Properties'. A box will pop up with tabs across the top.

In the 'General' tab (should be the one it starts on) click the button near the bottom 'SET LAUNCH OPTIONS'
In the box that pops up there will be a space to enter text, in that box type (cut and paste should work):

LD_PRELOAD="/home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so ./libcxxrt.so" %COMMAND%

then erase the part that says USERNAME and put the username you use to log into your computer in it's place. Be sure you do not erase the / on either side of the USERNAME.

Click the OK button, close the Properties window, then hit the play button on the Steam interface to launch the game as you normally would.

This helped with a couple other Steam games that broke with my last set of updates as well, hopefully it's useful to someone else.

• 4 weeks later...

There is an actual SteamOS user here in this thread complaining that the game doesn't launch and all I've gotten from Hinterlands is "The game is working on the supported linux distributions" = Ubuntu/SteamOS. 

I guess I/we should stop waiting for August 1st.

p.s It didn't work on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS either.

Archived