Serious FPS drop/skipping issues

sBzSunG

Hey guys, 

I've been enjoying TLD for years and happy with the new updates being recently made. 

However, there's a new issue popped up for me recently. 

FPS skipping every few seconds while walking outside when it's bright,

FPS dropping/stuttering to 10-20s when in dark (ex. caves, inside buildings etc).

Interesting fact is that if I alt-tab and come back, FPS becomes smooth for few seconds and goes back to stuttering. 

My rig 

fx-6350 4.5ghz, 16GB, RX480 4GB

drivers are up to date.

I honestly do not think my spec doesn't meet requirement. 

May I ask which regions you are playing in?  I've seen a little stuttering, mostly in TWM, usually with a moderate snow falling.  Unfortunately I know nothing about PC and graphics performance so I'm the wrong person to test it.  (I don't even know how to show my FPS :D)

You say the problem "popped up recently". Did you install some new program/s around that time? Do they run in the background whenever the computer is on?

What other programs do you have running in the background?

Also, what background processes?

Other software running behind the scenes is often the source of the kind of stuttering you're describing. It's why I launch my task manager and kill everything unnecessary before playing games.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forums, @sBzSunG!

my usage of "recently" was for the recent big updates,

bought the game and played it a while ago and came back to it to check the updates. 

the game didn't lag when I played it early last year with even lower spec. 

The skipping/stuttering happens specifically when I go inside the building or when night arrives.

I noticed it gets worse and becomes almost unplayable when I am in a cave with sunlight shading in. 

It is much less pronounced when I am outside. 

I can clearly say this is the TLD's issue since I can play DOOM at above 130FPS at high setting anytime with no issues at all. 

Fair enough.. in which case, I suggest you see what happens when the next update patch is released.. it's probably a week away, at most, by the looks. It has had a good number of optimisations applied, and you will have more and better configuration settings available..

Maybe it will go a long way towards improving things for you.

if your running test builds I think that might be your issue @sBzSunG

I did notice a difference in window lighting (particles) moving crap loads like dust, my setting is ultra quality, no idea what yours is maybe you need to turn that down or up? or just wait for a new test build.

Archived