Difficulty level

kkeemmss

Long dark is one of the best games out there. Couple alfas ago, i did play it alot on easiest difficulty settings. and i have to say, it is almost impossible to die of starvation. because free deer meet was all around. as i was exploring mystery lake wolf was killing deers left and right. 
I dont have much problems of wolves doing that, but it makes game to easy, and it removes need to explore other regions for food.

You may say, to me to just play on harder difficulty, and i did try. But then so much wolf all around me make this game so stressful to play, it was to hard for me.

What i really want is difficulty level where wolves do not chase me, and more or less leave me alone as long as i leave them alone,  but no free meals.

for example when i go to close to wolf, only then they become aggressive. that would be way harder than pilgrim but lot easier and less stressful than voyageur

also in any difficulty, i would like if wolves would eat lot slower, in a way that some of meat would freeze if there is only one wolf eating it. and wolves can't eat meat once it is frozen

cooked Venison.png

I think, even on Pilgrim wolves should defend their kill. They will run away from you under any other circumstances, but they will not give up their lunch. I understand why it is the way it is though.

Hinterland describes Pilgrim as a walking simulator with a survival twist (paraphrasing) There is not a whole lot of danger, just a quiet walk through the apocalypse.

I think what you are asking for is already here, Voyager. If you give the wolves a wide berth they will leave you alone. You simply need to pay attention. If they shortened the distance at which they will become aggressive  it really wouldn't change much.

In my case, the only time I actually have to fight with wolves is when they are hiding behind snow-banks or other obstructions and I get too close too avoid them, or I am just not paying attention. In either case, just shortening the leash would not help much.

6 hours ago, kkeemmss said:

What i really want is difficulty level where wolves do not chase me, and more or less leave me alone as long as i leave them alone,  but no free meals.

So, play on Pilgrim, but don't eat the wolf kills.. all it takes is a little self-discipline. Problem solved.

• Mel Guille changed the title to Difficulty level
  • 1 month later...

First of all, I beg your pardon for warming up this (c)old thread I stumbled upon.

Short introduction: I started into TLD in pilgrim mode and currently, I'm playing my second box in voyager setting. I would like to increase the difficulty level slightly to make the next box a little more thrilling, so stalker setting would be the logical consequence: less items and more calorie consumption are quite ok to me. And to suffer from more kind of afflictions would be nice. But what I absolutely dislike is: to deal with more wildlife. So it seems, I'm stuck in Voyager. 

Now, here is my suggestion: There are quite many games, where you can adjust specific parameters instead of choosing a default scenario. For an example: You would like to start a box with extreme weather condition but a lot of items, reduced calorie consumption and passive wildlife? Here we go!

3 hours ago, Starving_Deluxe said:

First of all, I beg your pardon for warming up this (c)old thread I stumbled upon.

Short introduction: I started into TLD in pilgrim mode and currently, I'm playing my second box in voyager setting. I would like to increase the difficulty level slightly to make the next box a little more thrilling, so stalker setting would be the logical consequence: less items and more calorie consumption are quite ok to me. And to suffer from more kind of afflictions would be nice. But what I absolutely dislike is: to deal with more wildlife. So it seems, I'm stuck in Voyager. 

Now, here is my suggestion: There are quite many games, where you can adjust specific parameters instead of choosing a default scenario. For an example: You would like to start a box with extreme weather condition but a lot of items, reduced calorie consumption and passive wildlife? Here we go!

You could play Interloper. From what I can gather, the wildlife in Stalker is very plentiful and very aggressive, but in Interloper, the wildlife is rather scarce, both passive and aggressive, but the weather conditions and items are brutal, and they get worse as the game progresses. Problem is, the wildlife in the Interloper is also very deadly (but there is a lot less of them).

I just like Voyager because it's the most realistic in my opinion.

Another option you have is to play some "Challenge modes" - in fact, I think I know which one you should play. Try playing the "hunted episode 2" if you want to get a bit more difficult game than the Voyager but still easier than the Stalker mode. (I never really tried to play this mode as a "survival", I simply use that challenge to practice rifle-hunting)
For example, the "Nomad" challenge seems to be set as an "easier" Voyageur. There is tons of loot in Nomad challenge, and the animals will attack you but their attacks are weaker (at least in my experience they are) and the weather seems to be about the same as Voyageur.

The challenge modes definitely have different difficulty levels than the general Sandbox.

Archived