Grass texture

Reahs

I'm glad that the OP started this topic  because I thought I was the only one having this issue. 

I'm still messing with the various GPU settings, trying to see if I can resolve it on my own.

I hope that tech-support answers this topic to give us some clarification  or guidance because that would be much appreciated 

Hey all. 

Iterating a little bit on what JAFO mentioned, this is something with how the Unity game engine handles stray alpha data on most commonly its billboard shaders. Grass, such as what you see above is handled as a flat 2D object that is presented to the camera (player) in the same manner no matter the direction you look at it from (some exceptions, such as looking from above where it disappears). This is called a billboard, and they have their own diffuse (not affected by lighting) shader type.  Unity has its own versions of this,  utilized in TLD. 

The lines that you see are stray bits of alpha data present in the 2D texture created either by issues with the Dynamic bilinear interpolation, issues with mipmapping, or the native PNG file containing partial transparent edges with no saved color data. It is remarkably difficult to remove this extraneous information from the texture (trust me I've spent many hours yelling "WHY DON'T YOU GO AWAY!?" at Unity in the past) and is usually done by a frustrating combination of merging layers and blocking out the shapes, or using an alpha map technique.

Alpha data, is in short, the information that tells your computer that that area is transparent. Transparency is not null data, but merely data telling your system not to render anything in that location. 

Basically, there's nothing you can do on your end with settings to remove the white lines. It's not something that is unique to Unity, but it's definitely a prevalent issue that's existed in the engine for awhile now. 

TL;DR - You can't fix it, but can hope there's a really bored technical artist out there at Hinterland who wants to go through the infuriating process of removing it. More than likely they're working on missing shadows, invisible bears, or wolves flying out of the sky, however...

I turned down the terrain detail option to zero and the annoying lines are gone :)

Can't remember what it's called exactly because I'm not in front of my PC right now, but it is the bottom-most detail option.

Edit: reducing it from 100% (at which white lines display) to 10% seems to allow for grass to display but (perhaps because there's less grass) no white lines.

Archived